The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

But weren't the earliest of the great mathematicians middle-eastern?

Well, considering that al-Khwarizmi described al-jabr - "counting" - in The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing...which gives us the words "algorithm" (al-Khwarzim), "algebra" (al-jabr), and word problems that any American third grader would recognize...and introduced the Hindu numbering system to the rest of the world, and described the general solutions for quadratic equations (and did it better than you'd learn in most high schools), and laid down the concepts for modern group theory. And other mathematicians in the Islamic world (e.g. Omar Khayyam) used the abstract algebraic notation he invented to invent algebraic geometry, higher-order polynomial equations, the binomial theorem and the basics of statistics, spherical geometry, algebraic calculus (modern high school "pre-calc"), and trigonometry. And a few other things stolen by Fibonacci, Descartes, Fermat...

Meanwhile, the medieval European world can't even count, because they're all too busy with stupid **** like multiplying MMCCXCII by CDLXVII. So yes, let's by all means B word and moan about the overwhelming whiteness of math. :wallbash:

Well, considering that al-Khwarizmi described al-jabr - "counting" - in The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing...which gives us the words "algorithm" (al-Khwarzim), "algebra" (al-jabr), and word problems that any American third grader would recognize...and introduced the Hindu numbering system to the rest of the world, and described the general solutions for quadratic equations (and did it better than you'd learn in most high schools), and laid down the concepts for modern group theory. And other mathematicians in the Islamic world (e.g. Omar Khayyam) used the abstract algebraic notation he invented to invent algebraic geometry, higher-order polynomial equations, the binomial theorem and the basics of statistics, spherical geometry, algebraic calculus (modern high school "pre-calc"), and trigonometry. And a few other things stolen by Fibonacci, Descartes, Fermat...

Meanwhile, the medieval European world can't even count, because they're all too busy with stupid **** like multiplying MMCCXCII by CDLXVII. So yes, let's by all means B word and moan about the overwhelming whiteness of math. :wallbash:

A simple "yes" would have sufficed, but wouldn't have been nearly as amusing. :beer:

DNrLXsYUQAAxXqe.jpg...Click on to enlarge

"Anarchy" Field Jacket from Barneys...............only $375 dollars.

So just to be clear...if I buy the same Army field jacket surplus, and write on it, and sell it, I'm now guilty of counterfeiting and fraud?

:lol:

Wow, they expect some pretty dainty victims in their safe space:

"SELF CARE

Drink water. Sleep 7-9 hours. Eat when you’re hungry. Shower. Remember to take your medicine if you need it. Your health comes before deadlines! Reach out to people to get what you need.

Take self-care moments to recenter yourself. If it helps, breathe for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, exhale for 5 seconds. Repeat until calm(er).

**We are acting to protect marginalized identities put in the most danger. This includes Jewish people, Black and Brown people, Queer and Trans folk.**

Wow, they expect some pretty dainty victims in their safe space:

"SELF CARE

Drink water. Sleep 7-9 hours. Eat when you’re hungry. Shower. Remember to take your medicine if you need it. Your health comes before deadlines! Reach out to people to get what you need.

Take self-care moments to recenter yourself. If it helps, breathe for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, exhale for 5 seconds. Repeat until calm(er).

**We are acting to protect marginalized identities put in the most danger. This includes Jewish people, Black and Brown people, Queer and Trans folk.**

My favorite was

7. If you’re going into the space and you have privilege (i.e. white people), you have a responsibility to look out for and support those who are targets of violence, (i.e. Black, brown, Jewish, queer and trans folk)

Really? They're my responsibility, because I'm white? Does that make them children, or my property?

In any other context, that statement is racist as ****.

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Really? They're my responsibility, because I'm white? Does that make them children, or my property?

In any other context, that statement is racist as ****.

At least they aren't trying to make you pay them child support until they're 21... yet.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Not really. Just hiding out under the "grinreaper" moniker. Scott's modification allowed me to somehow sign in under the hallowed 3rdnlng screen name.

i knew you were grinreaper but didn't know you lost this one.  odd.

maybe some of the bans or suspensions are undone.

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

i knew you were grinreaper but didn't know you lost this one.  odd.

maybe some of the bans or suspensions are undone.

I had originally signed up here using an old job email account. When I no longer had that account I couldn't sign in for some reason. Just think, if bans are undone we could get duckdog back. Have a good day. :rolleyes: