The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

CAMPUS CHAOS — A SHOUT-DOWN A DAY

Stanley Kurtz reports on the escalating campus free speech crisis. He notes that last night’s disruption of Charles Murray’s speech at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor means that every working day for the past week has seen a significant shout-down.

Here are the specifics:

Thursday, October 5: Students at Columbia University stormed into a class on sexuality and gender law to protest its instructor, Suzanne Goldberg. Goldberg is both a professor of law and Executive Vice-President of the Office of University Life. She is also a Title IX compliance officer. The classroom invaders were protesting Columbia’s handling of Title IX sexual assault claims.

Stanley observes that Goldberg is considered a pioneer of LGBT civil rights law. Thus, this disruption was an attack on the cultural left.

Friday, October 6: University of Oregon President Michael Schill was prevented from delivering his State of the University Speech when about 45 chanting students took over the stage. Although Schill knew the disruption was coming, he pre-emptively capitulated by pre-recording his speech for later distribution. Those who attended the event may have wondered why they bothered.

Monday, October 9: Texas State Representative Briscoe Cain was shouted down before he could begin a talk sponsored by the Federalist Society of Texas Southern University Law School. After the shouters were ejected by campus police, TSU President Austin Lane called them back and canceled Cain’s talk. Lane’s capitulation is astounding even for a college administrator.

Tuesday, October 10. Student protesters at Columbia University shouted down and largely stopped a talk via skype by Tommy Robinson, the controversial former leader of the English Defense League. Students blocked entrances to the speech, shouted over Robinson, then stormed the stage and forced him to abandon his talk.

Wednesday, October 11: Charles Murray’s talk at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor was severely disrupted. Murray was able to speak only for brief periods in between disruptions lasting 40 minutes before the protesters finally walked out.

The presence of an administrator and campus security may have prevented a total shut-down. However, as Stanley says, forty minutes of chaos cannot become the norm for controversial talks or else free speech and civil exchange are over.

MORE AT THE LINK:

Just as wrong......................

TRUMP SUPPORTERS SHOUT DOWN LIBERAL SPEAKERS

Based on a report from FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education), Stanley Kurtzprovides what he calls a “man bites dog” story: the shout-down of California Attorney General, Xavier Becerra and California State Assembly Leader Ian Calderon — both liberals – by Pro-Trump, MAGA hat-wearing protesters. This occurred at Whittier College, alma mater of Richard Nixon, where Becerra was trying to explain his decision to sue the Trump administration for phasing out the DACA program.

The disruptors, who apparently were not students, shouted slogans like: “Build that wall,” “lock him up,” “respect our president,” and “American first.” Becerra’s question and answer session with Calderon was severely disturbed and cut short as a result.

Shout-downs of liberals and leftists by those on the right are just as intolerable as the more standard case in which lefty students shout down conservative speakers. They show that in a deeply divided country, curbing free speech for some could easily mean curbing free speech for all.

More at the link:http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/10/trump-supporters-shout-down-liberal-speakers.php

Edited by B-Man

I swear, I am done......................it is too late for those enlightened people to be saved................

Mississippi School district pulls To Kill A Mockingbird from reading list; ‘makes people uncomfortable.’

That's the idea !!

Related Insta-flashback to 2014: ASHE SCHOW: Atticus Finch: American literature’s most celebrated rape apologist.

If ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ were taught in women’s studies classes today, Finch would have to be labeled the villain of the book for not accepting at face value an accuser’s tale of rape and for posing difficult, painful questions to her on the witness stand.”

When will the left stop eating each other?

Can someone please tell me what is a) incorrect and b) offensive about this statement:

“There can be 12 white, blue-eyed, blond men in a room and they’re going to be diverse, too, because they’re going to bring a different life experience and life perspective to the conversation.”

Then I hope every one of those undergrads get beaten with a bag of doorknobs every time they open their pie holes.

when they are out there trying to sell vaccuum cleaners they'll get a real healthy dose of REALITY in about 2 minutes...

heh...

that 3 year pass BA that let you prance around a maypole and protest all the time is totally worthless kiddoes!

More on GG's (post #1767) question..................

IS THE LEFT CRACKING UP?

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/10/is-the-left-cracking-up-2.php

Forget the civil war on the left. Thermonuclear meltdown may be the better analogy. While Trump has created huge internal divisions on the right between never-Trumpers and conservatives who like Trump’s positive disruptive capacities, we should entertain the possibility that Trump is pushing the left into full blown madness. Every day brings so many new signs of total leftist meltdown that I can’t keep up.

But here are a couple new ones to note in the ledger:

First up is fresh evidence of the remark that for the left, “diversity” means we look different but all think alike. Apple’s first ever vice president for diversity and inclusion, Denise Young Smith, made the following comment at a conference last week in Latin America:

Denise Young Smith: Aamna, you also asked me about my work at Apple, or in particular, who do I focus on? I focus on everyone. Diversity is the human experience. I get a little bit frustrated when diversity or the term diversity is tagged to the people of color or the women or the LGBT or whatever because that means they’re carrying that around…because that means that we are carrying that around on our foreheads.

And I’ve often told people a story– there can be 12 white blue-eyed blonde men in a room and they are going to be diverse too because they’re going to bring a different life experience and life perspective to the conversation.
The issue is representation and mix and bringing all the voices into the room that can contribute to the outcome of any situation. So I focus on everyone. . .

Focusing on everyone! Imagine that! It’s the passage in boldface above, however, that constitutes Diversity Thoughtcrime, so Smith has issued the typical groveling apology:

Last week, while attending a summit in Bogota, I made some comments as part of a conversation on the many factors that contribute to diversity and inclusion.

I regret the choice of words I used to make this point. I understand why some people took offense. My comments were not representative of how I think about diversity or how Apple sees it.
For that, I’m sorry.

Much more at the link:

I cannot answer GG's question about what is wrong with the question.

I was brought up to respect the individual, not the group. Every person has value, it does not require a victim status.

I am sure that some would say I am being blinded by my "white privilege"..............they are the ones with closed eyes.

Edited by B-Man

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/university-florida-city-brace-speech-white-nationalist-richard-spencer-n812151

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The president of the University of Florida says more than 500 police officers will be on hand when white nationalist Richard Spencer speaks there on Thursday.

"We've had a lot of discussions on campus about the First Amendment and free speech," university President W. Kent Fuchs said in a telephone interview with NBC News. "It's been surprising to many students that hate speech cannot be banned from a public university."

The voice of the right wants to be heard on campuses

DISPATCHES FROM THE EDUCATION APOCALYPSE:

In other academic news, it turns out that if you dare to punish students who use coercive mob tactics to threaten and intimidate non-leftist speakers and those who wish to hear them, then you are creating ‘an unsafe and threatening environment’ for students who want to use threatening and coercive physical tactics.

And also you’re racist, which rather goes without saying.

Apparently, any hint of consequences for thuggish and censorious behaviour merely affirms ‘white supremacy’ and will ‘suppress and criminalise’ students whose own attempts to suppress veer towards the criminal.

This, we’re told, is ‘unfair.’

The thinker of these deep thoughts, Charles H F Davis, a professor of education at the University of Southern California and the director of USC’s Race and Equity Centre, is aghast at the prospect of students being suspended if found to have repeatedly engaged in violence or disorderly conduct with the intention of suppressing debate,” David Thompson writes.

Saladin AhmedVerified account @saladinahmed

Hugo-nominated novelist. Essays @ NYT, NPR, etc. Currently writing BLACK BOLT for Marvel Comics. New series ABBOTT out in January.

-oA33q3S_bigger.jpgSaladin AhmedVerified account @saladinahmed
FollowFollow @saladinahmed
More

hey @KelloggsUS why is literally the only brown corn pop on the whole cereal box the janitor? this is teaching kids racism.

DM6Wq0wWkAAPoqV.jpgDM6Wq0wXcAESPLD.jpg

I had wished that this was an attempt at humor ..............sadly it was not.

In fact, Kelloggs tweeted their "apology" very soon after.

Edited by B-Man