Colin Cowherd just killed Rex Ryan........

Protocal69

Putting aside Cowherd's puke-a-tude for the moment and looking at the point he was making, I started thinking about the generally acknowledged greatest HC's in NFL history and I think he has a point. It starts with the father of modern coaching, Paul Brown, and includes Lombardi, Texas Tom, Chuck Noll, Sid Gillman, Bill Walsh and Bill Belichickito. Not a clown in the bunch. They were/are all kind of dour and, on the PR front, pretty dull.

Did you notice that all had great QB's. So, are they great coaches or did they just ride their great QB's into the sunset?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting aside Cowherd's puke-a-tude for the moment and looking at the point he was making, I started thinking about the generally acknowledged greatest HC's in NFL history and I think he has a point. It starts with the father of modern coaching, Paul Brown, and includes Lombardi, Texas Tom, Chuck Noll, Sid Gillman, Bill Walsh and Bill Belichickito. Not a clown in the bunch. They were/are all kind of dour and, on the PR front, pretty dull.

you can add parcells to the list.

only arse wipe I can think of with multiple rings is Jimmy Johnson.

Edited by JTSP

It's one blowhard trying to put down another blowhard.

The difference is one guy has a talent for making it sound like he knows what he's talking about and the other guy knows what he's talking about but makes it sound like he doesn't.

He should go back to writing sitcoms -- wait, no that didn't work out too well for him. He should go back to writing books -- nope, that didn't work out too well either. He should go back to being a pacific northwest radio host, that was his ceiling.

He wrote a sitcom?

The media likes to make a big deal about all this and create headlines. Honestly, WHO CARES!!! Most of it is taken out of context or magnified to the extreme. This is who Rex is and seems like the media will jump on any little thing he says or does. The guy is who he is, and in his mind is just having fun. I really don't think he means any harm and is not a bad guy.

What we should be concerned about is if he can coach. Honestly, I have my doubts. He has a lot to prove to me. I think Roman is a really good coach and would perhaps be a better fit as our coach with a solid D coordinator that would run a less complicated D suited to our talent.

But just because a guy has a personality, speaks his mind, etc. doesn't mean a thing. All I care about is that he gives our team the best chance to win and that remains to be seen.

Cowherd think he is smart. Says it all the time. He really is not. He misses the point of big issues at times. He has a fairly limited range of topics. Rex has always been a target. The Patriots and the cheater have always been his favorites.

The only thing he got right is railing on the Lakers for the Kobe contract.

He wrote a sitcom?

He sold a show loosely based on his life. Think Everyone Loves Raymond -- only instead of a newspaper columnist he was a syndicated talk show host. The script(s) were written by actual writers (good ones too), but the idea and concept was all his.

INT. RADIO STATION -- BOOTH

NICK HERD (fortyish, confident, good looking and well-dressed, though he'd never admit he tries) sits in his booth, headphones on. CASEY (thirtyish, tall and sexy) is on the stool next to him. DOUG, the show's producer, watches from behind the glass in the control booth.

NICK

My nostrils are normal! This is not emotional, it's logical. My current wife Megan has two kids of her own--

CASEY

I'm sorry, "your current wife"? Really?

NICK

Yes, really. What?

CASEY

I don't know. "Current wife" kinda sounds temporary. Like the current temperature.

NICK

What would you prefer? "Permanent wife"? "Final Wife"?

... And it just gets better from there.

http://deadspin.com/5759988/we-have-the-awful-pilot-for-colin-cowherds-awful-tv-show/

I didn't think it was possible but ESPN found someone more annoying than cowherd. Lebatard is awful

Lebretard is pretty bad. I like that he prefers more nuanced analysis to typical stat geek garbage, but his high pitched whiney voice and mind numbing and pandering racial commentary cause me to change the channel.

I didn't know he was still on the air

Cowherd is insufferable. Rex was simply having some fun, lest we forget that football is actually a form of entertainment. I try not to take any of these guys too seriously (coaches, commentators, etc). It is supposed to be fun after all. Rex is entertaining, it has nothing to do with "winning the press conference." Only a hack like Cowherd would make a big deal over it.

I dislike Cowherd and don't listen to him so I'm not sure what this is about. What did he do/say that was racist?

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-fires-colin-cowherd-comments-dominicans-2015-7

It's disgusting to think anybody hired him after he was fired from ESPN. People that make such ignorant comments do not deserve another chance to be on the airwaves.

Did you notice that all had great QB's. So, are they great coaches or did they just ride their great QB's into the sunset?

To be fair, Noll won with Bradshaw who wasn't exactly the best QB of his era, and Landry won with Danny White, who hardly is a great (but better than Aikman btw).

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-fires-colin-cowherd-comments-dominicans-2015-7

It's disgusting to think anybody hired him after he was fired from ESPN. People that make such ignorant comments do not deserve another chance to be on the airwaves.

ESPN proved to be a bunch of PC kitties about this. I don't give a !@#$ about Cowherd but I have less than no respect for anyone who wants to **** on him for being racist.

You P.C., bro?

ESPN proved to be a bunch of PC kitties about this. I don't give a !@#$ about Cowherd but I have less than no respect for anyone who wants to **** on him for being racist.

You P.C., bro?

I am not following. Surely you didn't read the article, right?

Political correctness is irrelevant in a discussion about blatant racist statements singling out a particular group of people in such a disrespectful way. Political correctness is used as a pejorative to describe language, actions, or policies intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society.

Since you didn't read the article I'll quote what Cowherd said. "'Baseballs too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities."

There's no room for debate that this comment wasn't meant as discriminatory. He singles out Dominicans as not being smart individuals insinuating that baseball can't be complex if Dominicans can play it. This is not a matter of someone misconstruing a blanket statement to uphold extreme interpretations of proper political correctness. End of discussion.

Edited by Vinaccia