Jerry Hughes' play > his penalty propensity

DC Greg

And it's not close. He showed everyone why he got a big contract today and why he is a game changer. That strip sack/fumble recovery was incredible, and it was absolutely critical to the win. The defense was bleeding, and the Dolphins were moving the ball at will. Hughes single handedly stopped that in one play, which subsequently led to a TD on O and flipped the game's momentum. You can credit Hughes as much as any other individual player for today's win.

Also, he forced their tackle to hold him all day, one of which led to a critical game changing penalty, as well. IMO his personal foul was pretty ticky tack. He was playing to the whistle, and it was very, very close. He did everything he could to keep him up while making sure he didn't gain another yard.

He has an attitude that is by far a net positive for our defense. He also makes amazing game changing plays. I can understand the occasional frustration when he makes a personal foul, but if you're one of the reactionists who calls for him to be benched or cut :doh: every time he gets a penalty, you're a fool. The guy plays his heart out week in and week out, and we're very lucky to have him.

He made some game changing plays today. Great day for Hughes. Lets see it more often. And lets get Mario involved maybe too?

He's been the most consistent pass rusher every game. He doesn't have the sack numbers of last year (yet), but no one does. He's collapsed the pocket more often and more effectively than anyone. Mario's absence in that category is troublesome.

Mario's play was the reason Hughes was able to dominate today. Rex even said it in his post game.

I can see that it helped. I would have to rewatch film to look a little more closely. I did notice they were lined up on the same side a few times. That was interesting.

At the same time, I've seen Mario get 1:1 matchups a number of times this year on passing downs. It seems to me that Hughes is winning those matchups when he has them more consistently.

Mario's play was the reason Hughes was able to dominate today. Rex even said it in his post game.

Yep. They dropped Mario inside where he commanded extra attention from the guard as well as Pouncey. The moved Hughes next to him where he could be single blocked by Fox and he abused him.

I can see that it helped. I would have to rewatch film to look a little more closely. I did notice they were lined up on the same side a few times. That was interesting.

At the same time, I've seen Mario get 1:1 matchups a number of times this year on passing downs. It seems to me that Hughes is winning those matchups when he has them more consistently.

Mario always plays lde and Hughes always rushes from the right. Hasn't rushed from left since TCU according to him. Rex moved Mario inside. That forced Pouncey to double team him because the guards couldn't handle him. Then moved Hughes to the left because the RT was a backup and Hughes had roasted him before. That's what happened.

Great move by Rex and, humorously, contrary to the idea of 90% of Bills fans, including myself, who thought we should just line these guys up on the line and let them do what they do best.

The thread title would suggest that because Hughes is talented and makes plays, that we should just be willing to accept his penchant for stupidity.

I don't.

I only hope that one of his inevitable boneheaded plays doesn't kill us at the worst time. And it absolutely sucks to have to feel that way.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario always plays lde and Hughes always rushes from the right. Hasn't rushed from left since TCU according to him. Rex moved Mario inside. That forced Pouncey to double team him because the guards couldn't handle him. Then moved Hughes to the left because the RT was a backup and Hughes had roasted him before. That's what happened.

Great move by Rex and, humorously, contrary to the idea of 90% of Bills fans, including myself, who thought we should just line these guys up on the line and let them do what they do best.

Strip sack, Hughes and Mario both lined up on left side. Mario is playing the 3 tech and Jerry is the 5 tech. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000575192/Bills-Jerry-Hughes-forces-and-then-recovers-fumble

Also, Mario is 1:1 with guard and doesn't beat him. Not sure if he was supposed to hold up to be a QB spy... sure hope so. Otherwise he just gave up on this rush.

Edited by DC Greg

Strip sack, Hughes and Mario both lined up on left side. Mario is playing the 3 tech and Jerry is the 5 tech. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000575192/Bills-Jerry-Hughes-forces-and-then-recovers-fumble

Also, Mario is 1:1 with guard and doesn't beat him. Not sure if he was supposed to hold up to be a QB spy... sure hope so. Otherwise he just gave up on this rush.

Yup. Jesus what a play that was.

Yup. Jesus what a play that was.

Bull rushed the tackle with both speed and power and gets him in full back pedal on his heels... was able to spin on a dime to the inside, but in spinning to the inside, he still kept outside contain on the QB. Then he strips it, grabs it off one bounce with one hand. If he hadn't blasted Tannehill so hard that his momentum brings Jerry down, he might run this back.

Honestly, I know it was against a scrub tackle, but being a former D-end, this is one of the most beautifully athletic pass rushes I've ever seen. Ever.

Hughes' play does make up for the penalties overall, but he can still overcome his urges or whatever it is that get him those silly penalties.

Sure can. Rex and co. gotta keep coaching him up. He's a great player and I love him as a Bill. He's got some fire to him.

Bull rushed the tackle with both speed and power and gets him in full back pedal on his heels... was able to spin on a dime to the inside, but in spinning to the inside, he still kept outside contain on the QB. Then he strips it, grabs it off one bounce with one hand. If he hadn't blasted Tannehill so hard that his momentum brings Jerry down, he might run this back.

Honestly, I know it was against a scrub tackle, but being a former D-end, this is one of the most beautifully athletic pass rushes I've ever seen. Ever.

I argued a couple times here that the play against the Browns last year was the single greatest play ever (not counting if it was, say, a more important game).

He beat one of the best LTs in the game, Joe Thomas, badly, Thomas was called for holding, Hughes then broke free, ran the ball carrier down, tackled him for a loss, stripped the ball, recovered the fumble, and then got up and ran for the TD. How would it be possible to make a single better play?