His D Is Still A+ 15 Years Later !!

T master

Well here we are 15 years after the Bills last play off appearance & after all that time one person from those play off Bills is still relevant . All the rest have moved on or retired & he's still relevant .

Wade Phillips has the best D in the league & is part of a 7&0 Broncos team . If there is any way to get a little revenge for being fired from the Bills i think this could be it.

Ralph undoubtedly is looking down watching his beloved Bills & still doesn't have a clue that Wade is one of the best coaches in the game ! Maybe not a HC but still one of the best .

I wonder if Wade coaches with a chip on his shoulder to show Ralph, Jerry, & others what they gave up on ? I for one at the time couldn't figure out why a coach with a winning record that got our team to the play offs was fired, same as i did when Fox was let go by the now 7 & 0 Broncos .

Just goes to show you what i know :huh:

while we all know why a coach BAILS with a winning record ! Because he was a money grubbing WIMP !

But i digress !

As i am only a fan & only know football from the fans perspective i know why i am not in the business because i would suck at it as most fans would !! But i still wonder about those calls back then.

Was it Ralph or Wade that made the QB call ? Was Ralph P.O'd at Wade after the game because he lost in Nashville or was it because Wade stood up & voiced his displeasure at the QB call ?

Or was he fired because he (Wade) made the QB call & Ralph wasn't for the change ?

One may never know unless we ask Wade's wife --- YAH that's it !!

But one thing you can't deny --- The Guy Knows Defense ! Where ever he goes the D is better for him being there !

And today he has the Best D in the league & is still relevant in the NFL !! Blitz on Wade !!

Wade keeps it simple and lets his players play fast and loose. He was known for this in Houston, Dallas, Buffalo, and Denver. He doesn't over think it. Just the opposite of someone else we know.

I never understood the decision on Flutie, and it was Ralph, not Wade. I also never understood why Ralph would fire a winning coach. He won with a running game and great defense, and the littel man running all over the place.

I hope they win the SB so Peyton could leave on top, Wade gets a ring, and most importantly they beat the Patriots in their house in Denver in the championship game. We are not good enough to compete at that level. I hope we can finally make it to the playoffs, but I don't expect we can beat the top flight teams. I think if we start to gel, we can beat possible the Colts, or the Bengals if we are at full strength, but we will never beat the Broncos, or Patriots.

we were spoiled when we fired Wade. he brought us to the playoffs but apparently that wasn't good enough because we were used to going to Super Bowls. he was the best coach that we've had since Marv imo. better coordinator than head coach though

Wade keeps it simple and lets his players play fast and loose. He was known for this in Houston, Dallas, Buffalo, and Denver. He doesn't over think it. Just the opposite of someone else we know.

I never understood the decision on Flutie, and it was Ralph, not Wade. I also never understood why Ralph would fire a winning coach. He won with a running game and great defense, and the littel man running all over the place.

I hope they win the SB so Peyton could leave on top, Wade gets a ring, and most importantly they beat the Patriots in their house in Denver in the championship game. We are not good enough to compete at that level. I hope we can finally make it to the playoffs, but I don't expect we can beat the top flight teams. I think if we start to gel, we can beat possible the Colts, or the Bengals if we are at full strength, but we will never beat the Broncos, or Patriots.

You are correct on your comment that it was the meddling owner who determined who was going to start at qb in the playoff game. Doug Flutie stated on a radio interview (and many other times) that it was Ralph Wilson who made the qb call. He directed Phillips to start Johnson over Flutie.

The irascible owner also directed Wade Phillips to fire the special teams coach, who was a long term friend and associate of Wade. Wade said no. The owner then fired Wilson and refused to pay off his contract. The owner's reasoning was that Wade was being insubordinate so that he wasn't obligated to fulfill the rest of the contract. The owner was told by his staff and others that he had to honor the contract and pay off the remaining portion of it. The owner stubbornly resisted. It went to an arbitration hearing and in a very quick decision the owner was compelled to honor the rest of Wade's contract.

With respect to the special team's coach that Wilson wanted fired the coach was dreadful. He deserved to be fired. But when it came to not honoring a contract the owner had no legitimate reason not do so. Ralph Wilson as an owner was incompetent. Ralph Wilson as a person was both honorable and stubborn to a fault.

I have always considered Wade Phillips to be one of the best D coordinators ever......ever

I couldn't agree with you more, John, and I have believed it for years.

What I couldn't believe was those rare times when this guy was sitting at home, instead of coaching a D somewhere.

Seriously head shake worthy...I never understood how why this guy would ever out of work.

Sooo Ralph is cheap?

I assume you are referring to the contract flap with Wade Phillisp? If so the issue for Ralph wasn't over money. He felt that the HC was obligated to follow his dictates. Whether it was smart or not to fire Phillips is not the main issue in my original posting. Without a doubt he had the authority to hire or fire anyone he wanted to. But in this case he clearly had an obligation to pay off the contract with Wade after he fired him. Ralph was wrong from a legal and contractual standpoint. The arbitration result came back quickly and with no equivocations: He was obligated to pay the remaining part of the contract. It wasn't a question (in this matter) of being cheap---it was an issue of him being stubborn,

Was Ralph a good owner? Look at his record and draw your own conclusions. My position on him as an owner is very firm.