Patriots; Greatest franchise ever

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very surprising and refreshing thread on TBD. I was expecting the standard "they cheat!!!", "**********," "they cheat!!!" responses. While there were some, it seems most have a grip on reality. Best team ever? If not, certainly up for discussion.

Proud of you, TBD.

There's a fine line between smart and cheating. When it becomes cheating, it's NOT smart, it's just plain old cheating.

Your opinion is just plain wrong.

This is a very surprising and refreshing thread on TBD. I was expecting the standard "they cheat!!!", "**********," "they cheat!!!" responses. While there were some, it seems most have a grip on reality. Best team ever? If not, certainly up for discussion.

I will never consider the Patsies** to be one of the best teams because they cheat. Their "success" is TAINTED.

If Peyton Manning could still throw Denver would give them a game but he tosses nice soft picks right to the other freaking team!

:(

BTW I am a huge Manning fan so I am so sad to see this. I wish Denver had good ole Wade last year or in 2013 since most of the players on D are the same.

Why don't you steal from your employer or employee or family if the ends justify the means and you would rather win by cheating than not win at all, or at the very least advocate that as a totally acceptable worldview.

In no way is it acceptable to cheat like the Pats have (and read the ESPN article if you haven't. Amazing stuff like having their people wander the opponent's sideline wearing vests identifying themselves as "press"). What I'm saying is that the obsession to get an edge applies in everything they do. It's no different than a successful corporation skirting antitrust laws to keep an edge over competition. Microsoft was at the top of the world when it rigged Windows to default to Internet Explorer. Other companies steal trade secrets all the time. It's wrong, it's often illegal, but ... The penalties for getting caught are generally smaller than the rewards for doing it. And in the Pats case, even when they DID get caught in spygate, the penalty fell way short of the benefits that spying program had provided for years. There's no "they're the best" vs. "they're cheaters" argument here. They're both. So were some of the great corporations in our history. In fact (and at the risk of going all Bernie Sanders on you), sometimes the drive to kill the competition goes hand in hand with the willingness to bend or break the rules

+1

The system is designed such that video taping the other team's signals and letting air out of the football after the ref writes his girlfriend's initials on it is forbidden.

It is also forbidden for coaches to talk to the QB on the helmet radio 15 second prior to the play clock running out. Ask Flutie about that one.

Plus whatever else their doing we just don't know about yet.

Edited by reddogblitz

BB, I'm sure one day I'll fully agree with one of your posts. Different train, but at least we're on the same track this time. I posted something positive about Brady last week that I thought for sure was going to elicit venom. It didn't happen. So I'll try it again to see if that was a fluke: ;)

I HATE Brady. But for as much as I hate him, I respect someone who can put a major scandal behind him and prove the doubters wrong. He's so good that he doesn't need to cheat. With a 7-0 start he has earned the right to scream it into a megaphone while brandishing two middle fingers high in the air at midfield. But he doesn't do that. He's smug. And that ticks people off way more. He knows it, and he's loving every minute of this season. Brady was the joke this past offseason. He bode his time and effortlessly turned the tables on his critics (AKA pretty much anyone who is not a Pats fan). Who saw that coming? I sure didn't.

The Pats are nothing special on the surface. But Brady has the ability to temporarily transform practice-squad-type players into all stars -- then back to scrubs when they leave for another team. He has done this for most of his career (scandal, no scandal, Gronk, no Gronk). I have never witnessed anyone else play at this level as well -- for this long -- in any sport -- with nearly zero supporting cast -- while winning championships. Disgusted as I am to write this, there's "elite" and there's "Brady." And I think the history books will share this sentiment, sans the asterisk. My saving grace is that by then, I probably won't be around to read 'em. It's bad enough that I have to witness it.

Edited by Felonious Monk

The system is designed such that video taping the other team's signals and letting air out of the football after the ref writes his girlfriend's initials on it is forbidden.

It is also forbidden for coaches to talk to the QB on the helmet radio 15 second prior to the play clock running out. Ask Flutie about that one.

When it happens for so long, people tend to get used to it. They'd be great without it, but hey, they're the Pats*** Why stop?

I wasn't aware there was proof of him cheating this year.

The preponderance of the evidence was convincing IMHO. HE didn't get off because he didn't do it. He got off because the NFL never told him if he altered the footballs after the refs inspected them he could be suspended.

I wasn't aware there was proof of him cheating this year.

I honestly don't think Brady is the master mind (though he's complicit) - it's Belicheat behind all of this. The Master Cheater. But there's no doubt in my mind they keep to the Lance Armstrong model - sure, try to catch me. I'm WAY ahead of you. They'd still beat us, but that's how cocky they are.

I honestly don't think Brady is the master mind (though he's complicit) - it's Belicheat behind all of this. The Master Cheater. But there's no doubt in my mind they keep to the Lance Armstrong model - sure, try to catch me. I'm WAY ahead of you. They'd still beat us, but that's how cocky they are.

It's a valid argument, and I have thought about it. At the end of the day, is it the guy who finds the winning pieces or the guy who makes them appear to be good? The reason I give Brady more of the credit is that despite all of his wheeling and dealing, Belichick's drafts usually are pretty average. He's really good at identifying other teams' castoffs, but they're still castoffs with low ceilings. Brady is the one who has to make it work with them.

I would love to see them split up at some point, provided Brady plays one season, and it's for an NFC team not located in Dallas.