Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

People hiding behind a keyboard and spewing hate towards athletes is cowardly and disgusting. Some of the comments on there are repulsive and would earn the posters an a$$ kicking if said that in public.

Horrible.

We need a day called "Internet Tough Guy Day" - it works like the movie The Purge, there's one day where everyone that takes all this garbage on the web gets to meet, and take on as they see fit, their Internet Tough Guy. :beer:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much ado about nothing, or at least it should be. Athletes and entertainers make huge sums of money in jobs that while they may be physically and/or mentally taxing, really contribute little to society. One of the costs of making that much money in that type of profession is that you face criticisms that maybe unfair. Well, deal with it and don't whine like a baby. People with crappy jobs have to endure constant worry about whether they will be able to afford decent schools for their kids, health insurance, retirement, food, etc. That doesn't justify being dicks about other people, including highly paid athletes, but all in all the highly paid athlete should be thankful that his or her biggest problem is dickish fans and that they are blessed to be living in a culture that values meaningless sports and entertainment over the more essential things in life like teaching our children, treating everyone who deserves it with respect, and helping others. As has been pointed out here, if you are going to participate in Social Media you have to understand there is a downside to it, and don't whine if it isn't all hugs and kisses. If that means sacrificing being on Twitter and Facebook so be it. The slugs working those low level jobs have to make far more sacrifices in theirs lives than Sammy Watkins will by turning off his Twitter account.

I would guesstimate, and it's very hard to know for sure, that 90% of the "slugs working those low level jobs" would not take $1,000,000 to train every day, practice and get hit as hard as Sammy Watkins does over the last two years. A huge percentage would say they would and brag about it, and as soon as they got lit up once in practice let alone a game would beg to go back to their menial jobs for menial pay rather that take that abuse.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I would be willing to bet that he has acquaintances, family members and friends that meet his criteria for people with little, hopeless jobs. he's denigrating them as well.

I can't believe people are defending him. he's a tool and a spoiled, immature fool. besides that, he's clearly not very bright..

I would be willing to bet that he has acquaintances, family members and friends that meet his criteria for people with little, hopeless jobs. he's denigrating them as well.

I can't believe people are defending him. he's a tool and a spoiled, immature fool. besides that, he's clearly not very bright..

No. He wasn't. He ONLY was talking about people who bad mouthed him for being injured. Just them. Not all fans, not all fans who criticized him, not all menial job workers. Only people that bitched about him taking his family to Disney when he apparently should have been playing.

I was harsh in my reaction and didn't like hearing it, but then I think that (attacking their jobs or $$) was what came to mind for him to hit the people back who were attacking him for his performance.

I want to see some real LEADERSHIP on this team that calms these guys down and gets them focused. We obviously have a serious problem here overall.

I think this translates to the penalties as well. Guys are frustrated and angry, and what the coaches are telling them to do is not working and they are getting beat when this was supposed to be a great season.

It's time for Rex to earn his pay as a leader of men AND a coach. Get this group settled down and under control.

It is reasonable for him to be bothered, it is reasonable for him to respond, but the specifics here were a failure on his part and a bad idea.

First, the big one, when responding publicly as an athlete, make sure you do some combination of taking the high road, or of narrowing your target to garner the support of the masses. Mention something about getting back up from an ankle injury to catch a crucial touchdown, playing through injuries, etc., but don't call out how pathetic the 9-5 job crowd is and how great you are.

Second, I am not going to take a cheap shot at Clemson University, especially considering they have not given Sammy a diploma, but to make fun of how pathetic others are with such a poor command of the English language is pretty sad.

And lastly, given the overall circumstances here (disappointing 3-4 team, playoff drought, lack of personal production, having called out his team to the press, his injury, and still having the best fans in the NFL), he probably should have deleted that post BEFORE hitting send, and said something cliche like "Thanks for the support from all the real Bills Mafia fans. They make it easy to laugh off those few idiots who don't know what it is like to play through pain. I can't wait to get back on the field and help the Bills get on a roll".

I would guesstimate, and it's very hard to know for sure, that 90% of the "slugs working those low level jobs" would not take $1,000,000 to train every day, practice and get hit as hard as Sammy Watkins does over the last two years. A huge percentage would say they would and brag about it, and as soon as they got lit up once in practice let alone a game would beg to go back to their menial jobs for menial pay rather that take that abuse.

You're kinda missing my point. Sacrifices are necessary in life. It is easier for Watkins to stay off social media than have the multitude of dicks that populate the Internet suddenly become polite and gracious. Not the perfect resolution, but we don't live in a perfect world.

Edited by IronyAbounds

The thing is, do they meet the criteria as someone who got on twitter to call him soft? If so, then yes he was talking about them. If they didn't get on twitter to mock him, then he wasn't referring to them. He made it clear this message was to the people on twitter calling him soft, not to just anyone not playing in the NFL. The tweet even starts off with "To all the people that have a problem with me being injured". Me thinks you is kinda sensitive.

You're kinda missing my point. Sacrifices are necessary in life. It is easier for Watkins to stay off social media than have the multitude of dicks that populate the Internet suddenly because polite and gracious. Not the perfect resolution, but we don't live in a perfect world.

I would add that it is always easier to explain why you're not on social media than it will ever be trying to apologize for stupid crap you post there.

You're kinda missing my point. Sacrifices are necessary in life. It is easier for Watkins to stay off social media than have the multitude of dicks that populate the Internet suddenly because polite and gracious. Not the perfect resolution, but we don't live in a perfect world.

I totally got that and I agree with you. I object to to the idea (and this is not directed at you at all) that all these fans would love to trade places with these athletes. People here and everywhere say it all the time. These athletes get paid millions to play a game. They should consider themselves lucky. I would love to be able to do that for that money. When they wouldn't do it for that money at all. One day doing his job and they would be in the hospital and crying and begging to go back to their schitty job for schitty pay.