The team is off for a week

The Big Cat

I have mixed feelings about ambivalence.

Not surprised they have the week off. Rex gave them last week off to tour London as tourists with friends and family. Good old Rex, the "player's coach." Treats all of them like men. I submit that half the players on this team lack the maturity and discipline to maintain the kind of focus required and I get the impression this staff is much the same way.

GO BILLS!!!

He gave them 2 days - Monday and Tuesday - the days they were dealing with the jet lag and they still showed up for events during these days.

They were practicing Wed-Fri as much as NFLPA allows and did walkthrough on Saturday,

I submit that half the players on this team posters on the board lack the maturity and discipline to maintain the kind of focus required and I get the impression this staff is much the same way.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And our defense which had been great the last two seasons is mediocre now because?????

I wish I had that answer. Schwartz almost never blitzed, so it's not a lack of Blitzing. I'm pretty sure Schwartz ( or any other coach from last two seasons) never suited up and got any of those sacks himself. Sounds like a simple case of guys not beating the guy in front of them and getting to the QB like they are paid to. It's a simple game really , kick a$$ on the guy in front of you , take his lunch money and sack the QB. People always want to over complicate this thing. I'd say the players aren't playing as well or the QBs are getting the ball out faster than the ones we faced last year except Brady. I also haven't been overly impressed with the coverage at times. Maybe a good chunk of those were coverage sacks. McKelvin has been out, as has A Williams. Darby seems to be playing pretty well, so who knows. I always look at players before coaches though,

I wish I had that answer. Schwartz almost never blitzed, so it's not a lack of Blitzing. I'm pretty sure Schwartz ( or any other coach from last two seasons) never suited up and got any of those sacks himself. Sounds like a simple case of guys not beating the guy in front of them and getting to the QB like they are paid to. It's a simple game really , kick a$$ on the guy in front of you , take his lunch money and sack the QB. People always want to over complicate this thing. I'd say the players aren't playing as well or the QBs are getting the ball out faster than the ones we faced last year except Brady. I also haven't been overly impressed with the coverage at times. Maybe a good chunk of those were coverage sacks. McKelvin has been out, as has A Williams. Darby seems to be playing pretty well, so who knows. I always look at players before coaches though,

Not many O- Lineman In front of 94 or Kyle when they were dropping into pass coverage.

Says who? Rex is a players coach (he loves his players and backs them to the hilt) and he doesn't hold them accountable. That is part of the reason, IMO, for the rash of stupid penalties.

Agreed. But it's been far from a "rash" for the past three weeks.

That narrative died half a season ago, IMO.

I'm not sure how i feel about this ? With all the mistakes being made & the D coordinator saying the players just aren't getting the scheme yet i think a little practice couldn't hurt .

But when you do get frustrated sometimes the best thing is to just walk away for a bit to clear your head & then come back to what ever it is you were doing & things seem to work a bit better .

So maybe that is Rex theory ???

Says who? Rex is a players coach (he loves his players and backs them to the hilt) and he doesn't hold them accountable. That is part of the reason, IMO, for the rash of stupid penalties.

Except that most of the guys getting the stupid penalties have a history of them in previous years , such as Hughes, A. Williams etc. How often do you see say, Mario Williams get a PF penalty? Don't think it has much to do with a coach. It's all on the player.

Not many O- Lineman In front of 94 or Kyle when they were dropping into pass coverage.

Whatever. Even the Game Mario complained about he didn't drop back very many plays. Last game it was only once fwiw. Doesn't explain away the vast majority of plays that they were rushing on. Everyone wants to give the players a pass, only they are the ones out there, not the coaches.

Except that most of the guys getting the stupid penalties have a history of them in previous years , such as Hughes, A. Williams etc. How often do you see say, Mario Williams get a PF penalty? Don't think it has much to do with a coach. It's all on the player.

This an excellent point. If I recall correctly, we made a lot of stpid penalties last year as well.

Because we aren't slowing down the WRs/TEs/etc at the line and the QB is getting it out fast. The WRs are always open because our DBs are giving them a 10 yard cushion. And Rex is having the line drop back in coverage. I see a lot of plays (some yesterday) where some of the DL don't charge the QB but instead hang back at the LOS. And, we aren't blitzing very much. We blitzed the peejeebers out of Suck for Luck with great success. The one time we got a good blitz on Bortles he threw a pick 6. Were the safeties covering well on that play? Didn't look like Graham was covering anybody.

That's what I think. It's definitely not because of the safeties IMHO. It's a bad plan by Rex and Dennis. Let the guys do what they do well and stop trying to bee too fancy.

In Schwartz's defense last season the % of plays the Bills blitzed on was very low. Seemed to produce plenty of sacks and pressures. I don't think it's the X's and O's and much as the Jims and Joes. Guys need to play better.

He gave them 2 days - Monday and Tuesday - the days they were dealing with the jet lag and they still showed up for events during these days.

They were practicing Wed-Fri as much as NFLPA allows and did walkthrough on Saturday,

I submit that half the players on this team posters on the board lack the maturity and discipline to maintain the kind of focus required and I get the impression this staff is much the same way.

Clever. But the point is Rex Ryan runs a very loose ship and the kind of play we've been seeing, especially the league leading amount of penalties, is a direct reflection of that lax approach. You can do that when you have a core group that buys in completely with the kind of professional attitude necessary. I have yet to see it. Glad you are OK with it though.

Marv called it football character. I don't think Ryan, given his propensity for bush league antics, clownish behavior, and excuse making, can even begin to know the meaning of the term.

GO BILLS!!!

In Schwartz's defense last season the % of plays the Bills blitzed on was very low. Seemed to produce plenty of sacks and pressures. I don't think it's the X's and O's and the Jims and Joes. Guys need to play better.

Did Jim and Joe forget how to play in the off season?

I know Schwartz didn't like to blitz, but I thought Rex did. We had success blitzing a lot the year before last. We also had a lot of success blizing Suck for Luck. But now it seems Rex likes to play soft prevent.

I think it's both actually. Not taking advantage of our guys strengths, and some loafing.

Edited by reddogblitz

On the other hand, no way this team deserves a week off

CBF

I don't know man. The main cause of the losses (other than injuries) has been dumb ass mistakes, players and coaches. More practice isn't going to help that, but maybe a cold reboot after a week off will. At this point, what have they got to lose.

I have mixed feelings as well

On one hand, the Bills need to rehab their injuries and get better in the worst way

On the other hand, no way this team deserves a week off

CBF

I like the week off coming all the way from London in addition to letting them get their minds and bodies right for the remainder of the season. They can get back to work completely recharged for the stretch run. Meanwhile, the coaches can take the entire week to self scout with regard to scheme and player utilization to best take advantage of the talent on hand. JMO.

Bills ready to heal up; hit reset button for second half
The Bills aren't where they want to be as they near midseason with a 3-4 record, but they feel with a bye week to heal up and regroup they can reset their season in the second half.

I like the week off coming all the way from London in addition to letting them get their minds and bodies right for the remainder of the season. They can get back to work completely recharged for the stretch run. Meanwhile, the coaches can take the entire week to self scout with regard to scheme and player utilization to best take advantage of the talent on hand. JMO.

well of course they feel that way in what they say to the media. what are they going to say? we're a bunch of undisciplined slobs and play for a literal fratboy retard?

It lies with the player, but, it is up to the coach to control the behavior.

I appreciate your optimism, but, what were they doing for the entire off season if not self scouting? Rex came in saying he'd utilize the talent on the defense, not force a scheme on them. He has so far failed at this.