The team is off for a week

The Big Cat

No, just one that came to mind. NFl players are not 10 year olds. I just don't think what we are seeing on the field has anything to do with Rex Ryan's personality. Football is pretty simple, really. I also don't think it has anything to do with curses, voodoo, juju, kismet, Fred Jackson or any of myriad theories out there. It also has little to do with play calling , and (most) penalties are overrated too. The Bills have started a bad QB the last two games. Many other top players are injured and not playing. Other top players are not making plays like they are expected to. That's it. There isn't a big margin of error for winning NFL games, and these things have made that margin disappear. I'd expect better performance if the Bills get some players back after the bye. That may no longer be enough to get them in the thick of the playoff race after another AFC loss to JAX. But unless guys are constantly out of position to make plays ( I haven't seen that) players on the field are the problem , not coaches. Is Gragg being coached to run himself out of bounds? Is EJ being coached to wait so long on a throw to the end zone that the TE runs out the back of it before the ball gets there? Or to throw so in accurately that a sure TD pass turns into the TE falling down after adjusting to the poor throw? Folks love to blame coaches when it's their beloved players that are screwing up at every turn.

And our defense which had been great the last two seasons is mediocre now because?????

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said earlier I think it's part of the CBA that says the players have to get time off. I did a quick internet search for "nfl cba bye week" and found the following article which could explain what's gong on: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820e8b52/printable/teams-learn-of-new-regulations-tied-to-ownerapproved-cba

So essentially, Rex just gave them Tuesday as the extra day off. Nobody was going to work yesterday coming back from London. As per CBA, the usual days off on bye week start on Wednesdays and go through Saturdays. Bills are in a slightly different situation because they had to travel back from London and would have missed the Monday work anyway.

So we can't get a pass rush like we could last year because our safeties suck? Please explain how that works. I'm curious.

You must not have watched yesterday's game.

The games when we've blitzed, we've been in the QB's lap ALL DAY.

Rex has admitted that the games he DIDN'T blitz (Cin/NE) that it was a mistake.

You must not have watched yesterday's game.

I didn't start watching until we were already behind 27-3 because the game started at 6:30 my time. Then I could either watch it in low def which looked like I had found an old VCR tape from the 70s and was watching it, or watch it in Hi Def and have it jump due to buffering. Looks like we did get a little better rush, not much.

What about the rest of the games? Safeties sucked in those games too.

Please explain your self. It may be obvious to you, but to some of us it's not. I'm having a hard time understanding how sucky safeties causes the DL that led the league in sacks over the last 2 years is now getting little to no sacks due to poor safety play. Help a Bills brother out.

I didn't start watching until we were already behind 27-3 because the game started at 6:30 my time. Then I could either watch it in low def which looked like I had found an old VCR tape from the 70s and was watching it, or watch it in Hi Def and have it jump due to buffering. Looks like we did get a little better rush, not much.

What about the rest of the games? Safeties sucked in those games too.

Please explain your self. It may be obvious to you, but to some of us it's not. I'm having a hard time understanding how sucky safeties causes the DL that led the league in sacks over the last 2 years is now getting little to no sacks due to poor safety play. Help a Bills brother out.

Players that safeties and LB's are supposed to cover are not covered and the ball gets thrown to said players.

Players that safeties and LB's are supposed to cover are not covered and the ball gets thrown to said players.

I suppose, but the 3rd down conversion where we had 3 guys rush sort of and the linebackers all stay put 3 yards behind LOS giving Dalton 10 seconds to throw the football seems to indicate a different cause. This would seem to indicate that LBs or safeties had their guys covered pretty well.

Was Searcy that good?

But thanks for the explanation anyway.

Edited by reddogblitz

...a lot.

And then, when the ball is thrown, they seem to not have any friggin clue how to stop the guy.

Take the tip-tip-tip catch over the seam yesterday. Duke Williams literally ran PAST the guy while he was still bobbling it, turned around and ran back up field to tackle the guy after he finally secured it.

I suppose, but the 3rd down conversion where we had 3 guys rush sort of and the linebackers all stay put 3 yards behind LOS giving Dalton 10 seconds to throw the football seems to indicate a different cause. This would seem to indicate that LBs or safeties had their guys covered pretty well.

But thanks for the explanation anyway.

The play you're talking about PERFECTLY illustrates how bad they've been.

...a lot.

And then, when the ball is thrown, they seem to not have any friggin clue how to stop the guy.

Take the tip-tip-tip catch over the seam yesterday. Duke Williams literally ran PAST the guy while he was still bobbling it, turned around and ran back up field to tackle the guy after he finally secured it.

The play you're talking about PERFECTLY illustrates how bad they've been.

How so? If Dalton couldn't find anyone open for 9 seconds, somebody was covering the receivers I would think.

I'm having a hard time seeing how sloppy arm tackling by safeties have to do with the pass rush?

So, the pass rush is the same as last year except now our safeties can't cover or tackle?

How so? If Dalton couldn't find anyone open for 9 seconds, somebody was covering the receivers I would think.

I'm having a hard time seeing how sloppy arm tackling by safeties have to do with the pass rush?

So, the pass rush is the same as last year except now our safeties can't cover or tackle?

Yes. That's exactly what's going on. Why is this so hard?

QB drops back, here comes pressure, boop, his first read is open. EVERY TIME. WHY? Because our safeties and linebackers are doing a LOUSY job of cutting it off.

Well, penalties would be the first thing that comes to mind.

Because Rex has a bad relationship with the players?

Yup, I am not sure what's going on with Preston Brown but he is possibly a worse coverage LBer than Spikes, if not really close to it. Bradham can cover but takes horrible angles. Gilmore is grossly over rated, he never steps up when needed, its not s scheme thing, its a lack of talent thing. Darby is literally our best defensive player this year....

Yes. That's exactly what's going on. Why is this so hard?

QB drops back, here comes pressure, boop, his first read is open. EVERY TIME. WHY? Because our safeties and linebackers are doing a LOUSY job of cutting it off.

Because Rex has a bad relationship with the players?

Ok, if you say so.

It would seem pressing and bumping the WRs at the line would be a way to slow down the QB getting it out fast. But that would be the CBs doing that I would think. Who is telling them not to do that? Did we do it last year?

Edited by reddogblitz

Well, why do you think the pass rush isn't working?

Because we aren't slowing down the WRs/TEs/etc at the line and the QB is getting it out fast. The WRs are always open because our DBs are giving them a 10 yard cushion. And Rex is having the line drop back in coverage. I see a lot of plays (some yesterday) where some of the DL don't charge the QB but instead hang back at the LOS. And, we aren't blitzing very much. We blitzed the peejeebers out of Suck for Luck with great success. The one time we got a good blitz on Bortles he threw a pick 6. Were the safeties covering well on that play? Didn't look like Graham was covering anybody.

That's what I think. It's definitely not because of the safeties IMHO. It's a bad plan by Rex and Dennis. Let the guys do what they do well and stop trying to bee too fancy.