So would you say the season is over now? Before Halloween?

dayman

At first glance, the Chiefs would seem to be what makes that fairly safe. Then I remember the Bills just lost to the Jags. Hopefully it isn't a leather shoe.

Believe me, I know. After yesterday, after last year's Oakland game, last year's Texans games, the 2013 Browns game, the 2013 Falcons game, the 2013 Bucs game, the 2012 Titans game, the 2012 Colts, the 2012 Rams game and many, many many many many many other examples, I should have learned by now to stop counting the wins that should be on our schedule.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to live in the real world. Wishing real hard for your dreams to come true is for little kids at Disney. Trying to maintain a realistic view of things doesn't mean I'm not ever wrong, but it keeps me from getting worked up and overexcited about popular fantasies - like thinking the Bills were heading to the Super Bowl this off season and going out and blowing thousands of dollars on season tickets. Or buying a Harvin jersey.

But it also gives me perspective when things look bad. Many people are realizing that the Bills aren't what they thought they'd be, but that doesn't mean they're a bad team. They're not. They're probably above average overall, but they lack some things: A bona fide franchise QB would make a tremendous difference. So will scheme familiarity. Experience in the system and tailoring the system to players' strengths will help. There's no guarantee that the coaches will succeed at that, but it's not fair to blame them for not having it done now. I'm not one of the people on the "fire everybody" bandwagon either.

Why would somebody want to live a Pollyanna life or a bipolar over reactive way?

So the only reason you would buy a jersey or season tickets is if we were guaranteed in your realist view that there was a very large chance we were going to the super bowl? To each their own, but I have season tickets to go support my team, and enjoy the game of football. Not because I have some sense of winning as an inevitability.

You can have perspective and still hold out hope too. For example I think they still have a shot for the playoffs. Is this some Disney related fantasy? No. It is based on likely getting Watkins, Tyrod, Karlos, Miller, and Henderson back. Maybe Harvin, unless he decided to take more games off contemplating retirement. It is based on the defense making 4 goal line stops in a row, then proceeding to force three 3 and outs, then a pick six, then what would have been another stop had it not been for official interference. We lost but our team showed a lot coming back from this deficit. I firmly believe had it not been for EJ's 3 turnovers, we would have easily won this game.

So being the realist that I am, I am objectively looking at how the team performed despite the loss rather than looking at the team through the looking glass of a loss.

They need Tyrod, Sammy, Karlos, Martin, Percey, Aaron and Kyle back on the field and to stay on the field I'm that order of priority.

The defense needs to drop the complexity and get back to basics.

The team basically has the bus to turn it around. If they can get by the Phins and jets, they are back in it. We'll know by mid November where this season is headed.

We're 3-4. A lot of football left, but we probably have about 2 (maybe 3) losses to give for the entire rest of the season now if we want to compete for playoffs.

We've got a much improved Dolphins team and the Pats again, and a good Jets team twice. Plus a Cowboys team that will be healed by the time we play them, as well as a slew of other games we could potentially drop. Best case scenario I can realistically forecast would be:

W - Dolphins (use the bye as an excuse to do this) WIN

L - @Jets (best case scenario we split and win the home game) LOSS

L - @Pats (can't beat them, never do) LOSS

W - @Chiefs (fair to say we win) LOSS

W - Texans (who really knows but this is best case scenario) WIN

W - @ Eagles (again, best case scenario here) LOSS

W - @ 'Skins LOSS

L - Cowboys (really don't think we're winning this one, at least not this one and the next one v. the jets) LOSS

W - Jets LOSS

That would put us at 9-7. I doubt we make the playoffs with that, and this was me being about as optimistic as possible.

Rex lasted 7 games. This season is over.

Bills go 2-7 the rest of the way. SEASON OVER.

They need Tyrod, Sammy, Karlos, Martin, Percey, Aaron and Kyle back on the field and to stay on the field I'm that order of priority.

The defense needs to drop the complexity and get back to basics.

The team basically has the bus to turn it around. If they can get by the Phins and jets, they are back in it. We'll know by mid November where this season is headed.

Tyrod, then Aaron.

I'll post it in every damn thread on this board if I have to:

Duke Williams and Corey Graham flat out SUCK. And we're running a scheme that relies heavily on safeties for pressure and coverage calls.

Tyrod, then Aaron.

I'll post it in every damn thread on this board if I have to:

Duke Williams and Corey Graham flat out SUCK. And we're running a scheme that relies heavily on safeties for pressure and coverage calls.

Corey Graham has been a very good CB, evidenced by his extremely high marks last year. He may be playing out of position for all I know.

Corey Graham has been a very good CB, evidenced by his extremely high marks last year. He may be playing out of position for all I know.

And he may be a perfectly serviceable safety. But he's not good enough to make up for the dead weight playing opposite him in Duke Williams.

If you just split division games versus equal opponents, give losses to road teams versus equal opponents, and wins over obvious teams:

NYJ remaining schedule: @OAK(W), JAX(W), BUF(W), @HOU(W), MIA(W), @NYG(W), TEN(W), @DAL(L), NE(L), @BUF(L)

BEST: 13-3 PROBABLE: 11-5 WORST: 8-8

PIT remaining schedule: CIN(W), OAK(W), CLE(W), @SEA(L), IND(W), @CIN(L), DEN(L), @BAL(W), @CLE(L)

BEST: 12-4 PROBABLE: 10-6 WORST: 7-9

OAK remaining schedule: NYJ(L), @PIT(L), MIN(L), @DET(W), @TEN(W), KC(W), @DEN(L), GB(L), SD(W), @KC(W)

BEST: 11-5. PROBABLE: 9-7 WORST: 6-10

MIA remaining schedule: @NE(L), @BUF(L), @PHI(L), DAL(W), @NYJ(L), BAL(W), NYG(W), @SD(L), IND(W), NE(L)

BEST: 10-6. PROBABLE: 7-9 WORST: 5-11

BUF remaining schedule: MIA(W), @NYJ(L), @NE(L), @KC(W), HOU(W), @PHI(L), @WSH(W), DAL(L), NYJ(L)

BEST: 10-6 PROBABLE: 7-9. WORST: 4-12

Our best case(loss to NE, split with Jets, win all other games), might get us in, but the Jets schedule is pretty easy and Pittsburgh gets Big Ben back next week.

Not to sound like the annoying eternal optimist here but changing coaching staffs is difficult. Marrone started 3-7 and ended 7-9. He went 9-7 last year and now we're changing everything. I expect more continuity in year 2 and hopefully not the injury bugged that plaguedus in training camp, which has been a very understated problem.

Not to sound like the annoying eternal optimist here but changing coaching staffs is difficult. Marrone started 3-7 and ended 7-9. He went 9-7 last year and now we're changing everything. I expect more continuity in year 2 and hopefully not the injury bugged that plaguedus in training camp, which has been a very understated problem.

Agreed. At this point Rex is love him or hate him, and the hate him crowd sees an opportunity to rail on him for every little thing. (Even charging headsets :lol: ) I fear it will always be this way with Rex.

Season isn't over but the playoff hopes are.

Agreed. At this point Rex is love him or hate him, and the hate him crowd sees an opportunity to rail on him for every little thing. (Even charging headsets :lol: ) I fear it will always be this way with Rex.

It will always be that way with any coach that loses.

Believe me, I know. After yesterday, after last year's Oakland game, last year's Texans games, the 2013 Browns game, the 2013 Falcons game, the 2013 Bucs game, the 2012 Titans game, the 2012 Colts, the 2012 Rams game and many, many many many many many other examples, I should have learned by now to stop counting the wins that should be on our schedule.

You all should have. We are the Bills.

#everygame is a battle for Buffalo. ever single one for as long as i can recall. never understood predicting wins. crap shoot at best

Yes. It's a time honored tradition in wny to be irrelevant by October

No, no, no. October is "If not for a few unlucky bounces, we'd be 5-2." November is "We're still not mathematically eliminated yet." December is when the season's over.

NO respect for tradition...

Hmm? you mean safety?

Graham is playing very well and the least of our problems on defense. Dukes has really struggled in the mental aspect and Baccari even more so.

Big dropoff after A. Williams

Edited by 3rdand12

stop with this!

We simply must make the playoffs this year!! or else

we are perfectly poised for it , i tell you!

and next year we are in cap hell and will not be able to keep any of the cool players. do or die.

fire everyone, i am unhappy. :nana:

So the only reason you would buy a jersey or season tickets is if we were guaranteed in your realist view that there was a very large chance we were going to the super bowl? To each their own, but I have season tickets to go support my team, and enjoy the game of football. Not because I have some sense of winning as an inevitability.

You can have perspective and still hold out hope too. For example I think they still have a shot for the playoffs. Is this some Disney related fantasy? No. It is based on likely getting Watkins, Tyrod, Karlos, Miller, and Henderson back. Maybe Harvin, unless he decided to take more games off contemplating retirement. It is based on the defense making 4 goal line stops in a row, then proceeding to force three 3 and outs, then a pick six, then what would have been another stop had it not been for official interference. We lost but our team showed a lot coming back from this deficit. I firmly believe had it not been for EJ's 3 turnovers, we would have easily won this game.

So being the realist that I am, I am objectively looking at how the team performed despite the loss rather than looking at the team through the looking glass of a loss.

So that's what you got out of what I wrote? Wow.