Nigel Bradham - thoughts on performance/extension?

YoloinOhio

I think most of us thought he was a guy we wanted to make sure we got signed this year as a FA. Myself included. I haven't been overly impressed with him so far this season though it's still early. Given that it is easier to find LBs in the draft (and start them immediately ) than it is a LT or CB for example (I.e. Considering upcoming contracts for Glenn and Gilmore), I wouldn't be upset if they let him walk and just drafted his replacement. Thoughts on how he has played this far and whether you would make an effort to get him signed?

I think most of us thought he was a guy we wanted to make sure we got signed this year as a FA. Myself included. I haven't been overly impressed with him so far this season though it's still early. Given that it is easier to find LBs in the draft (and start them immediately ) than it is a LT or CB for example (I.e. Considering upcoming contracts for Glenn and Gilmore), I wouldn't be upset if they let him walk and just drafted his replacement. Thoughts on how he has played this far and whether you would make an effort to get him signed?

I think he's a fine player, but I also think he's one of the guys who seems a little lost under Rex's system. Having said that, I'd have preferred to extend him and Gilmore as opposed to Dareus. You can't extend everyone ...

he's so athletic and he excels in the open field. he hasn't done anything to wow me yet this year though. very under the radar. he's made some good plays in coverage but i don't recall him making any good tackling plays that i can think of. is he not physical enough?

I think I saw more than one prediction that he would be a beast in Rex's D. I know it's early and maybe it will all come together for him in the 2nd half of the year... I just don't know if he's worth a big contract. LB is the one of the easier positions to come in and play as a rookie, especially with this front 4.

Good LB play and understanding the scheme are important in a typical Rex D (See Bart Scott, David Harris). While he's missed a few tackles that I wish he'd have had I think his value to the D increases the longer he's in it. JMO

I believe it was mentioned in the media that on a couple of his missed tackles (and definitely the missed tackle on the long Giants TD) that those weren't even his assignments, but rather, he saw that someone else blew their assignment and hustled over to try to make a play.

With the state of confusion this entire defense is in, I cant knock Bradham's play this year. I think the entire squad is struggling to find their footing, and that's on the coaching.

He probably should have signed whatever extension offer we made him earlier this year, since it looks like he'll end up with worse numbers and worse "looking" play and possibly a lower market value.

I'm all for keeping him around though. I think he's a solid player and should stay a Bill.

I believe it was mentioned in the media that on a couple of his missed tackles (and definitely the missed tackle on the long Giants TD) that those weren't even his assignments, but rather, he saw that someone else blew their assignment and hustled over to try to make a play.

With the state of confusion this entire defense is in, I cant knock Bradham's play this year. I think the entire squad is struggling to find their footing, and that's on the coaching.

He probably should have signed whatever extension offer we made him earlier this year, since it looks like he'll end up with worse numbers and worse "looking" play and possibly a lower market value.

I'm all for keeping him around though. I think he's a solid player and should stay a Bill.

Interesting. He should send an invoice to Duke Williams, I'm guessing.

It may be too early to assess. thanks

So, if I'm to believe that, then his instincts are good. But he was still in a position to make a couple tackles and did not, regardless of assignment.

Regardless, my stance is that he should most certainly be retained if possible.

He's missing too many tackles out there right now.

Could be a result of not being in perfect position because he still doesn't have his assignments down yet, but right now, he's too inconsistent to sign for the $5M/year or so he'd want.

See my post above. Tough to make tackles when you are scrambling across the field, at a bad angle, trying to correct someone else's mistake. It's only a bad angle and a tough tackle because the scheme didnt have him in a position to make that play in the first place. The other option is that he doesnt even bother, just sticks to doing only "his job", and things get even worse for this Defense.

See my post above. Tough to make tackles when you are scrambling across the field, at a bad angle, trying to correct someone else's mistake. It's only a bad angle and a tough tackle because the scheme didnt have him in a position to make that play in the first place. The other option is that he doesnt even bother, just sticks to doing only "his job", and things get even worse for this Defense.

Agreed. And to the bolded part above I wonder what the dialogue during the LB cut ups would be. Would he be told he should have run over to try to make the play? Or would the DB or other LB be called out for being out of position?

I wonder if the coaches think his trying to make up for other's mistakes is a good thing or a bad thing. If they think it's a bad thing, they have to be working on either adjusting the player who is missing their assignment/proper positioning, or adjusting their damn schemes.