Source: EJ Manuel to start Sunday for Tyrod Taylor

YoloinOhio

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think it was dumb move to get rid of Cassel. What if Manuel gets hurt? It's not like it hasn't happened before. I still don't understand the logic of the move.

You don't pay that much for a 3rd string QB. If your top 2 QBs go down, you're plain screwed. No team plans to use a 3rd QB.

I still think it was dumb move to get rid of Cassel. What if Manuel gets hurt? It's not like it hasn't happened before. I still don't understand the logic of the move.

the logic is that you can only have so many highly paid backups, and cassel presented a chance to save while creating a resource.

and of course its possible hes even worse today than when we last saw him in extended action.

You don't pay that much for a 3rd string QB. If your top 2 QBs go down, you're plain screwed. No team plans to use a 3rd QB.

I'm excited for it. I really think this team can still be successful with EJ or Tyrod. I won't be at the game Sunday sadly, but I'm looking forward to it.

I honestly don't care about money, and nor should the Bills given that they're under the cap. More importantly, they cut him and resigned him at an affordable price just before the season! And they have virtually nothing invested in the QB position money-wise!

in a perfect world you carry extra qb's and rb's in case someone gets hurt, in salary cap and roster cap worlds you have to gamble and NOT expect players to get hurt and get the most benefit out of your 53...you don't rotate in QB's during the games, you do rotate in OL, LB's, WR's etc....plus i honestly feel that Cassel is not built for this offense, it is a mobile offense, not a pocket passing qb and it would take too much to rework the playbook and mentality for a couple weeks.

Tyrod takes a lot of hits. I wasn't too excited to see him get smashed right in the knee catching a freaking pass after getting beat up all game either.

I'll bet he hurt his knee on the catch, not the horse collar.

I was thinking that too, he got up and grabbed the knee right away and then tried to walk it off.

yup - id much rather the money go to a starter. or even a backup, before a third stringer.

Who got a raise as a result of Cassel being cut? No one.

in a perfect world you carry extra qb's and rb's in case someone gets hurt, in salary cap and roster cap worlds you have to gamble and NOT expect players to get hurt and get the most benefit out of your 53...you don't rotate in QB's during the games, you do rotate in OL, LB's, WR's etc....plus i honestly feel that Cassel is not built for this offense, it is a mobile offense, not a pocket passing qb and it would take too much to rework the playbook and mentality for a couple weeks.

The Bills were under the cap, Pooj, and they had just resigned Cassel at a very affordable price. Cassel is the sort of guy who can get you to 2-2 over a 4-game stretch - sorta like Hasselback. Josh Johnson will get you to 0-4.

Edited by dave mcbride

Logic of the move: backup/third string QB on the roster who is old and nearing the end of his career. have two young promising QBs on the roster that you have decided you are more interested in. Can't really afford to keep all three and sign Dareus. Oportunity arrises to actually get something for Cassel (washed up veteran) who would otherwise jsut get cut at somepoint. To me this is a no brainer decision and the right call by the Bills. As an NFL club you can't waste a lot of time and money planning for your third string QB that you really hope will never see the field. I challenge you and all other Cassel supporters to find another team in the league that has an impressive or even viable 3rd string QB.