Returning Kickoff vs Punt

It is generally easier to catch a kickoff than a punt. The most important duty of the PR is to catch and secure the ball. The PR must be smart and be able to take care of the ball. KOR are more about getting better field position and you see more gifted athletes/speedsters.

I had the same question over the summer because I wanted to know why most don't do both. I also think you don't want to necessarily expose one guy to the rigors of both and spread it out.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Brief topic here. Why is it that certain players are good at Punt returns versus Kickoff returns? I just don't see the difference in the skill sets. I would think you would want your best returner handling both duties, but that's usually not the case

The ball descends at a different velocity, and angle: kick-off being more of a line-drive, punts a pop-fly. A kickoff is fielded in open space, with little to no activity around the ball catcher, where straight ahead speed off a single cut is often the most beneficial.

A punt is fielded in traffic requiring a different level of field presence and concentration, where the ball catcher needs to be quick, rather than fast, and make multiple cuts to escape the "phone booth".

Finally, a kick-off is almost always fielded, if it is going to be returned, no more than 5 yards deep in the end zone, and usually no further up field than 5 yards. The returner never has to track the ball backwards, and make decisions about whether or not to field the ball, or whether or not to fair catch. Conversely a punt returner has many more decisions to make, and has to track the ball both horizontally and laterally.

As other people have mentioned, fielding of a punt is more demanding & critical. I'll add that w/ KOs, you typically have over a second until you encounter any defenders & when you do, they're all basically down there at once as a wall. W/ a punt, there's 2 defenders that should be on you basically immediately and then the others are more spread out.

I just don't see the difference in the skill sets.

punts - short area quickness, much more situational awareness, much more field awareness

kickoffs - high end speed is more premium, find a crease and go

differences in the way the ball is flying, differences in the blocks you are reading.

It is generally easier to catch a kickoff than a punt. The most important duty of the PR is to catch and secure the ball. The PR must be smart and be able to take care of the ball. KOR are more about getting better field position and you see more gifted athletes/speedsters.

I had the same question over the summer because I wanted to know why most don't do both. I also think you don't want to necessarily expose one guy to the rigors of both and spread it out.

This.

The ball descends at a different velocity, and angle: kick-off being more of a line-drive, punts a pop-fly. A kickoff is fielded in open space, with little to no activity around the ball catcher, where straight ahead speed off a single cut is often the most beneficial.

A punt is fielded in traffic requiring a different level of field presence and concentration, where the ball catcher needs to be quick, rather than fast, and make multiple cuts to escape the "phone booth".

Finally, a kick-off is almost always fielded, if it is going to be returned, no more than 5 yards deep in the end zone, and usually no further up field than 5 yards. The returner never has to track the ball backwards, and make decisions about whether or not to field the ball, or whether or not to fair catch. Conversely a punt returner has many more decisions to make, and has to track the ball both horizontally and laterally.

and this.

Kick off returners have to make major decisions: should I measure how far it goes past the end line or should I be brave or stupid and return it? Punt returners have to use some judgement and not be brave or stupid.

Usually the upback will make the decision for the returner.

Excellent comments here - an actual informative thread! By the way, Bills have been bad -- really bad -- in both punt and kickoff returns this year. Thigpen: only 3 KO returns (is Buffalo the mile-high city? Opposing kickers seem to think so), 9.7 yd average (I think that was one flubbed negative yardage one pulling it down, but still). Thigpen punt returns: 9 for a 5.2 average, longest of 14 yards. Usually it's an exaggeration to say "anyone would be better," but right now, anyone will be better ...

If you can atleast cross the 15 or so consistently, I'd take the shot

Based on point expectancy alone, the answer is yes, you should try to return a kickoff doesn't travel at least 9 yards into the end zone. (Your mileage may vary if your returner is Thigpen)

http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/research/game-strategy/128-should-kick-returners-always-take-the-touchback

Excellent comments here - an actual informative thread! By the way, Bills have been bad -- really bad -- in both punt and kickoff returns this year. Thigpen: only 3 KO returns (is Buffalo the mile-high city? Opposing kickers seem to think so), 9.7 yd average (I think that was one flubbed negative yardage one pulling it down, but still). Thigpen punt returns: 9 for a 5.2 average, longest of 14 yards. Usually it's an exaggeration to say "anyone would be better," but right now, anyone will be better ...

not sure if it was him, or the blocking, or both... I guess we will find out with Denarius

Punt returners are usually smaller more quicker and shifty players with good hands who can make guys miss

kick returners are usually little bigger faster players who can see a hole, hit it and go