Tyrod Taylor- The Sitting a QB Approach

JPLoserman

I have been incredibly surprised by how well Tyrod has played to this point, and even more so considering these were his first three starts in the NFL. It seems that the four years sitting behind Joe Flacco as a backup did wonders to his development and understanding of the game.

The strategy of drafting a QB and waiting a few years before starting him seems to have gone out the window with the increasingly impatience of owners/coaches/GMs. I would say the last true QB to be drafted and playing backup for his first few years was Aaron Rodgers, and that has seemed to turn out well.

Makes me wonder if other people around the league are seeing the early success of Tyrod and rethinking how they develop drafted QBs.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been incredibly surprised by how well Tyrod has played to this point, and even more so considering these were his first three starts in the NFL. It seems that the four years sitting behind Joe Flacco as a backup did wonders to his development and understanding of the game.

The strategy of drafting a QB and waiting a few years before starting him seems to have gone out the window with the increasingly impatience of owners/coaches/GMs. I would say the last true QB to be drafted and playing backup for his first few years was Aaron Rodgers, and that has seemed to turn out well.

Makes me wonder if other people around the league are seeing the early success of Tyrod and rethinking how they develop drafted QBs.

The Browns signed their 3rd string QB, Austin Davis, to an extension yesterday. The Browns media was going nuts over what this means. He had a couple decent games for the Rams last year and they think they are trying to mirror the Bills approach. That they like his potential and actually are trying to develop him as the future starter. Later round draft pick who has shown flashes, could develop under the right staff. They have a new OC, John DeFelippo, who developed Derek Carr as a rookie in Oakland. So yes, the Bills approach was mentioned yesterday as a reason they are doing this. Edited by YoloinOhio

That's part of it...the other part is the amount of money that gets invested in QBs before they've proven themselves in the NFL.

Take a guy with a ton of ability with a reasonably high pick, and you get an owner that wants a ROI for his money. With the limits on contract time that are presented with teams, it's understandable how guys get thrown into the fire so quickly.

I believe the conundrum is one of the reasons that a developmental league is such a hot topic amongst owners.

I don't think there's any debate as to its value. But you need a good QB to begin with in which to develop a younger one for the next generation. The teams with franchise quarterbacks are doing it. The ones without one don't exactly have much choice

I was thinking about this the other day. If TT succeeds in a big way, it could change the way the NFL looks at QBs in some ways. First, guys like him may get longer looks, rather than just going with the next new guy every year or every other year.

But maybe more so, smaller, running QBs may get more looks. Russell Wilson was an aberration (I still think so until TT can do this more than a year or so). But now Taylor looks like lightning struck twice. The problem for teams doing this however, is that TT is a lot more than a QB who can run, and it doesn't even count the fact he has a rocket arm. He's also very smart, a great leader, very poised, and great work ethic. That's an impressive package and surely not all of these guys teams will be giving chances to have all of those invaluable traits.

If TT succeeds he may indeed make the NFL powers that be look at the position differently. And they likely will fail because the guys they will be giving these chances to are not likely to have everything it takes. We may have struck gold but it's not that TT was never given a chance. It will be because he has an extraordinary assortment of talents that are just as unlikely to be found in a 6'4" guy as a 6'1" guy.

It's done all the time, the players just usually still stink.

I'm as excited as anyone about the prospect of Tyrod being the guy. Defenses are just beginning to build a book on him and there are many that fade out of the league quickly defenses start taking away their best stuff.

Just from the bills look at Doug Fluties drop off between 98 and 99, Losman had a promising year in 06, Trent fooled everyone for over a year (bill Walsh saw something in the.kid...). Fitz was awarded a big contract based on a 5 game sample under Chans system.

Late this year we may have serious discussions about whether Tyrod is any good. It won't be until 2017 until we' have a really good idea

To do this, though, you need all these to be in place:

1) already have a franchise QB who is on the back end of thier career

2) a rookie QB who has both the game and the temperament to sit and watch

3) an owner or ownership group who has money and patience

Baltimore did not have #1, for Flacco was still young and in prime

Green Bay had all three in place for Rodgers

Denver is doing it with Brock Osweiler, but I would bet anything that he isn't much more than Ryan Mallet when he finally gets his chance. In order to succeed in the NFL at QB, you need an extraordinary assortment of skills all working at the same time. Only some of them can be developed.

I thought this as well.

I think its great that TT got to learn behind Flacco.

I am not comparing but look at the QBs who backed up and learned behind Favre, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Jim McMahon, Aaron Rodgers

I agree that you need the QB to be good in order for this to be effective.

CBF

There was a bit of a discussion before preseason.......

Our front office is showing their genious to be perfectly honest.......

- EXTREMELY HARD to find franchise QBs

- Once a team has one they do NOT get away unless they get injured.....or get old and even then.....hardly ever

- So no franchise QBs in free agency.....to be had....just guys like Bradford, Foles, RG III (maybe) getting tossed around to different teams

So where does that leave you?

DRAFTING QUARTERBACKS......and unless you have a really crappy team you are not drafting the best QBs as they almost always go high.....and even when you do

- They are thrown into the fire immediately because of how much you gave up to get them

- Are OFTEN not ready because college play does not prepare them for NFL play

- Bust fact is high

So what do you do?

Whaley came up with a great idea and you better believe other NFL teams are gonna follow suit......he allowed some other NFL team to draft a QB and let THEM groom him........then swooped in when the fruit was ripe.

That is how you find a Tyrod Taylor

GREAT JOB WHALEY

There was a bit of a discussion before preseason.......

Our front office is showing their genious to be perfectly honest.......

- EXTREMELY HARD to find franchise QBs

- Once a team has one they do NOT get away unless they get injured.....or get old and even then.....hardly ever

- So no franchise QBs in free agency.....to be had....just guys like Bradford, Foles, RG III (maybe) getting tossed around to different teams

So where does that leave you?

DRAFTING QUARTERBACKS......and unless you have a really crappy team you are not drafting the best QBs as they almost always go high.....and even when you do

- They are thrown into the fire immediately because of how much you gave up to get them

- Are OFTEN not ready because college play does not prepare them for NFL play

- Bust fact is high

So what do you do?

Whaley came up with a great idea and you better believe other NFL teams are gonna follow suit......he allowed some other NFL team to draft a QB and let THEM groom him........then swooped in when the fruit was ripe.

That is how you find a Tyrod Taylor

GREAT JOB WHALEY

This was a pretty unique circumstance, and I agree that it was a great signing by Whaley (although he probably had TT pegged as a backup, let's be honest).

It's likely that Tyrod has been a better QB than Flacco for the last couple years...but what were the Ravens going to do? Replace their SB winning QB with the backup after a winning season...no way. Everybody gets fired if that plan fails. Good on the Bills for recognizing TT's capabilities and capitalizing.

Tyrod Taylor's success could affect QB Development across the NFL

Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor is compelling for more than just the obvious reasons.

Anybody can see the skill set he possesses and the way he's ignited a Buffalo team after being a relatively obscure backup in Baltimore. The more fascinating aspect of Taylor's ascent has more to do with what he might mean for the quarterback position moving forward. If he continues to succeed as he has so far, he could be the template for developing multidimensional quarterbacks in the very near future.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I don't think there is a fix solution. Sitting a guy doesn't make a bad specimen into a good one. But rushing a young QB into service can ruin him. The bottom line is you have to have a strong coaches who know how to fix mechanics. Two BS arguments constant heard people said:

1. You cannot improve accuracy of a QB.

2. You have to play to learn and improve as a QB.

There is absolutely no prove to any of these statements. Everyone is different. The GM has to find the right guy, and the coaches have to find out what works for him.

By the way the Bills are doing this now with EJ Manuel.

So I don't believe #1 on your list is necessary.