How did NE figure out our offense so quick?

PortlandiaEast

Maybe its paranoia...

But after watching the first half against Miami, the Indy game, and the first drive against NE... I cant help but think NE thought that our offense was way better than they expected and found an illegal way to get an edge, either on offense or on defense. Im also extremely jaded/paranoid/whatever that the NFL is somewhat rigged, and I think our offense looks dangerous as I have ever seen.

Didn't we score 32 against the Pats? Yeah, there were also the 8 sacks and 3 picks. But if a HOF coach was cheating in this game, couldn't he have figured out a way to hold us under 30?

2 of the 3 picks were opportunistic - off the hands of our receivers. That's neither good cheating or defense by NE. It's just the way the ball bounces sometimes.

They only thing NE figured out was how to pressure our QB. I blame our OL for that more than I credit Belichick.

Did Bryce Brown sell them our blocking schemes? Because Belicheck doesn't have hours of video of Greg Roman offenses that he's already studied?

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we score 32 against the Pats? Yeah, there were also the 8 sacks and 3 picks. But if a HOF coach was cheating in this game, couldn't he have figured out a way to hold us under 30?

2 of the 3 picks were opportunistic - off the hands of our receivers. That's neither good cheating or defense by NE. It's just the way the ball bounces sometimes.

They only thing NE figured out was how to pressure our QB. I blame our OL for that more than I credit Belichick.

Did Bryce Brown sell them our blocking schemes? Because Belicheck doesn't have hours of video of Greg Roman offenses that he's already studied?

Yep, sure did, but it was 37-13 starting the 4th quarter. The Pats went prevent, and garbage stats for TT were accumulated.

I dont think 3 penalties for 21 yards is a big difference. The timing of them was and I question if that was all bills or half the bills half refs wanting to take away opportunities from the bills. And to the avg fan all they will see is the stat line for penalties and see nothing really afoul...

Thats all.

It's not a big difference in the number of yards, so if it was meant "in terms of # of yards given up, the penalties didn't give the Pats enough extra yards to make a difference", I think that's right.

As you point out though, there are other aspects to be considered. Field position at the start of a drive has a statistically significant impact on scoring probability.

The combination of ST penalty forcing us back to our own 10 yd line, subsequent short punt and good return, then ST penalty resulting in NE 1st and 10 from our 13 yd line, was basically a "gimme 7" points for NE and put them ahead.

I would argue that sequence of penalties had a statistically significant impact on the outcome of the game.

I meant to say that thinking these people who actually were in for a workout sold the Bills game plan is a bit much in the tin foil category.

I don't think Bryce Brown had the Bills Game Plan to sell at the point when he was cut.

I don't think it's far-fetched to think that Brown may have provided intel on the plays the Bills run from different formations (offensive, and for the D he faced) during his "workout". Players in the past have acknowledged the Pats do this, other teams have done this, it's not as far as I know illegal or "cheating" to bring in a player cut from another team, show him film of that team and ask questions.

The Pats* attacked the run game and made Tyrod beat them. The Pats* also won the one on one matchups with their pass rushers and seemingly threw in some blitzes to keep the pressure on. So you had a offense that was not able to run the ball and a QB that was consistently under pressure. Just not a good combo.

But the Pats* defense didn't adjust or slacked against Taylor and Shady's more spread out run and pass oriented attack. Once the run game got going it opened up the offense and you saw the team give the Pats* a legit scare with the help of the defense creating a turnover.

Edited by billsfan89

Statistically penalties where not a difference between the teams.

Statistics can be deceiving. It's not the number of penalties or the number of yards, it has to do with when and where the calls were made. The officials definitely gave NE an unfair advantage in this game. They put us in a hole field position wise on a number of occasions and also negated some big plays by the Bills. In an eight point game, they were the difference makers in this one.

Statistically penalties where not a difference between the teams.

"Statistically" would include important factors like, when penalties were called. A great deal of help can be given to a team at one point in the game, only to be "evened out" later. It is also common knowledge that certain penalties are much more demoralizing than others. A five yard penalty on a key 3rd and 4 from the 50 is far more damaging than a five defensive holding penalty to start the drive.

I won't say we lost because of penalties (Taylor's pocket presence and our lack of poise overall were issues), but when you are playing a game in a league which prides itself on parity, a little thing like a 5 yard penalty can play a significant role. I don't believe the penalties really started evening out until the second half. It is a common pattern with a certain team from out east - penalties go their way until the will of the other team is in doubt, then they magically even out by the end of the game.

Statistics can be deceiving. It's not the number of penalties or the number of yards, it has to do with when and where the calls were made. The officials definitely gave NE an unfair advantage in this game. They put us in a hole field position wise on a number of occasions and also negated some big plays by the Bills. In an eight point game, they were the difference makers in this one.

Another point of contention which often comes up with NE** and used to come up with Mia when Shula was on the competition committee: no calls on holding. It was always the same thing from the announcers: Dan Deirdork or Dan Spouts would be blathering on..."Wow! Dan Marino has the faster release...No wonder he never gets sacked!" All the while, you could plainly see Bruce being held. Fast forward to 2015..."Amazing how fast Brady get's rid of the ball...he really bails out his awful line!" All the while, three street free agents are mugging Dareus and Kyle...It is amazing how good their OL coaches are at teaching interior nobodies how to hold so well without detection!

They cheat. End of story. I may be tin foil hat type in regards to the pats, but read the spygate book and then you'll realize the ways they go to get the edge

Still can't believe that book isn't getting more traction. It's pretty hard to argue.

Except that is not true. TT came right out and said it. They never changed their defense and they never changed their offense. They tried to bury us and it backfired.

It would have been the greatest thing ever if we had won because of BB trying to rub it in.

Actually if they do cheat, you CAN take it away from them. See Lance Armstrong. How much of an edge was cheating in the Tour de France? No idea. Could be a lot. Could be nothing. But his wins are nullified anyway. Same goes for the Pats. If it can be shown they did cheat, or still do, not a single victory matters.

Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed. They have been caught, they've paid fines, and the wins still count....

our qb was in his second NFL start against the superbowl champs and we put up over 30 points.

don't worry about that game. when we catch em next time and Tyrod has more than 75 NFL snaps under his belt we will crush those punks.

:doh::bag: That kind of hubris is what cost the Bills the game in week 2.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever