Rex press conference - TT/EJ = The present and the future

YoloinOhio

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alex smith... Kaepernick... Luck in college

Well...I agree with Alex Smith (and Luck deserves to be nowhere in this conversation), but I would say Kaepernick is still trying to develop, if he ever will. The same person who saw him rise, saw him fall. Sort of like saying Kyle Shanahan developed RG3.

From listening to the press conference, they wanted to keep all 3 QBs. They trusted EJ, but cassel was a safer (but not a better) backup than EJ. After 2 regular season games, Rex was fairly comfortable With the 3 QBs with the exception that they didn't have the opportunity to develop EJ but it didn't make sense to make a long time vet the third QB option

So then as luck would have it, Whaley came to rex saying dallas was insterested in Cassel. And Rex agreed thinking after 2 regular season games he would like to develop EJ more and was ok of EJ being number 2

I also think that the bills secretly wanted that roster spot. With Aaron williams injury, Duke playing terrible yet again, and Meeks being upgraded to 53, all played a small role in them wanting an extra roster spot.

I see it as them just being presented with an opportunity by dallas, they looked at the pros and cons, and made a decision. And pros and cons can change weekly in the NFL.

I do not get why the local media is so invested in Cassel and so forceful to run EJ out of town. And they seem to act like Tyrod doesn't exist. It is really like they formed some kind of pact.

I don't hate the local media like some here, but their speculation and opinions on this QB battle has been frustrated reading all offseason and now it keeps going

What is so confusing ...

@mikerodak: Bills take confusing stance on Matt Cassel trade, EJ Manuel promotion: http://t.co/rOYXQcK90O

The actual confusing stance was two weeks ago. If EJ had played very well in the pre-season (as evidenced), he should have been made the backup QB. If the Bills wanted to use Casell's experience in breaking down films, they should have said so and made him the 3rd QB (effectively another QB Coach) and clearly let him know about that. They muddled it by giving in to Cassell's demands for being the backup QB.

Reality bites!! The organization knows that if Tyrod plays lights out they will not be able to afford him when his contract is up. They will be able to re-sign Manuel at a modest salary and possibly trade Tyrod for his value will be enticing to another team.

So you honestly think that the reality is if Tyrod plays lights out they will let him go and roll the dice with EJ?

The actual confusing stance was two weeks ago. If EJ had played very well in the pre-season (as evidenced), he should have been made the backup QB. If the Bills wanted to use Casell's experience in breaking down films, they should have said so and made him the 3rd QB (effectively another QB Coach) and clearly let him know about that. They muddled it by giving in to Cassell's demands for being the backup QB.

They probably caved to Cassel's #2 QB demands because Taylor had never started a real NFL game before and there was a nagging fear that Taylor might be a disaster when they play for real. It was the fear of the unknown IMO. Rex just couldn't be honest about it in the press conference for obvious reasons. He should have just said that it was a coaches decision and that he was not going to elaborate on it. Then just keep repeating that until Sullivan gives up.

It's clear that they have no more fear about Taylor or Manuel and having two young but seasoned QBs that are getting better is a very good thing.

Edited by 1billsfan

Here come Jerry Sullivan's hot takes!!

Bills' company line on QBs doesn't quite add up

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/23/bills-company-line-on-qbs-doesnt-quite-add-up/

You can't fix stupid. Seems Jerry is in the EJM sucks club and will never amount to anything.

At this time he needs to shut up and deal with the concept that he's got zero idea of what the Bills want to do.

But when did Manuel’s long-term development become the primary consideration?

When he asks?? Try to pay attention Jerry they firrst spoke of it when (or before) Rex was hired.

So by their actions, it was the coaches who said Manuel was inferior to Cassel. If not, why wasn’t Manuel the backup the first two games?

shaking head. :bag:

Well...I agree with Alex Smith (and Luck deserves to be nowhere in this conversation), but I would say Kaepernick is still trying to develop, if he ever will. The same person who saw him rise, saw him fall. Sort of like saying Kyle Shanahan developed RG3.

with the exception that through week 2 both have a share of the worst (bottom 4) QB ratings in the league along with P Manning and IIRC Bradford.

During the game the guys in the booth said Matt was warning up until the camera panned to him and TT.

When the O was going 3 and out for 5 of 6 straight drives behind by a couple of scores ... Does anyone think MC could have regained he lead?

I didn't call them "the present and the future"

Wasn't that a quote from Rex?

OR maybe they knew his trade value with a high salary was not going to happen. By cutting him and reducing his contract the gamble paid off.

You can't fix stupid. Seems Jerry is in the EJM sucks club and will never amount to anything.

At this time he needs to shut up and deal with the concept that he's got zero idea of what the Bills want to do.

But when did Manuel’s long-term development become the primary consideration?

When he asks?? Try to pay attention Jerry they firrst spoke of it when (or before) Rex was hired.

So by their actions, it was the coaches who said Manuel was inferior to Cassel. If not, why wasn’t Manuel the backup the first two games?

shaking head. :bag:

Jerry Sullivan on the case reminds me of this guy...

I didn't call them "the present and the future"

No, but you're applying them respectively when it's not what Rex meant. He never said Tyrod is our present and EJ is our future, he simply implied that he is comfortable with Tyrod and EJ being our team's QBs for the foreseeable future... If you think Tyrod is going to 'light it up' and they're going to just let him go you are incredibly naive.

During the game the guys in the booth said Matt was warning up until the camera panned to him and TT.

When the O was going 3 and out for 5 of 6 straight drives behind by a couple of scores ... Does anyone think MC could have regained he lead?

Wasn't that a quote from Rex?

OR maybe they knew his trade value with a high salary was not going to happen. By cutting him and reducing his contract the gamble paid off.

good point on the trade value/salary

Honestly this is EXACTLY what I had hoped would happen this year - that one or even both of our young QBs would look so good that we wouldn't need that short-term veteran caretaker QB to be here. Now we truly have a shot at developing and keeping that long-term franchise QB we've been looking for since Kelly retired 19 freakin' years ago.

This had to be contingent on whoever the starter ended up being having the ability to win with this team this year.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

No, but you're applying them respectively when it's not what Rex meant. He never said Tyrod is our present and EJ is our future, he simply implied that he is comfortable with Tyrod and EJ being our team's QBs for the foreseeable future... If you think Tyrod is going to 'light it up' and they're going to just let him go you are incredibly naive.

In Rex's presser he spoke of how he thinks EJ will be a good QB in the league and how EJ keeps ascending. I didn't correlate the two QBs like that, Rex did. As far as "just letting Tyrod go", that would be plain stupid. If EJ continues to "ascend" to the QB Rex thinks he will become, how will the organization be able to afford all of those multi million dollar contracts? Taylor would demand a king's ransom. Trading him will garnish multiple high end picks. That's all I'm saying. Just business.

Things change. If Romo doesn't break his shoulder then Cassel is still here, IMO.

Also, where was it ever written that Matt made 'demands' to be the backup? I'd like to see a link on that...