Rex press conference - TT/EJ = The present and the future

YoloinOhio

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap space is cap space.

I just don't see it making too much sense IMO. Unless EJ has been crushing it in practice. But even then, two weeks and the staff is convinced he's good enough to be the #2?

Where are you going with this line of questions? If you have a theory, state it. No one really knows how and why this trade came to be. I bet all here and in the press are purely speculating

So why did we sign Cassel two weeks ago? Did EJ make a huge jump running scout team last week?

Both EJ and Tyrod said he was a huge asset in the QB room. They probably thought that a veteran presence would benefit Tyrod on game days. Rex said in his presser that it was a "tough call" to bring Cassel back because Manuel played so well in the preseason. Maybe they thought Cassel could give them some insight to the Patriots. Isn't it coincidental that they traded him after that game?

Thanks! i was gonna jump over to BB.com but you saved me the trouble.

So who is the pushy asshat to Rex's right again? he was nearly insulting. Rex did good and made his point about not getting animated during the presser. They asked the question sixteen ways from Sunday to get him to say something negative. that's just rude honestly

FireChan, what do you propose was their reason for re-signing Cassel, then trading him, and keeping EJ?

I don't know. It doesn't really make sense to me, to be honest. I'm not proposing it was done to pump up EJ or anything like that. I could see the reasoning to cut Cassel, and the reason to re-sign him. To trade him for a 2017 late round pick sorta goes against the reasons to re-sign him, IMO.

Both EJ and Tyrod said he was a huge asset in the QB room. They probably thought that a veteran presence would benefit Tyrod on game days. Rex said in his presser that it was a "tough call" to bring Cassel back because Manuel played so well in the preseason. Maybe they thought Cassel could give them some insight to the Patriots. Isn't it coincidental that they traded him after that game?

He hasn't played for the Pats in 6 years and Rex has played them 12 times since, so I don't know what he could really bring to the table in that regard. I agree they thought a vet presence would help on game days, so why move him?

Edited by FireChan

Thanks! i was gonna jump over to BB.com but you saved me the trouble.

So who is the pushy asshat to Rex's right again? he was nearly insulting. Rex did good and made his point about not getting animated during the presser. They asked the question sixteen ways from Sunday to get him to say something negative. that's just rude honestly

Jerry Sullivan

My thought on why Cassel was the #2 is that as a veteran he was better prepared to come into a game cold than EJ. I figured that if any injury to Tyrod kept him out more than that game, EJ would be the starter the next week and Cassel would remain #2.

simple enough isn't it? I believe that Cassel was game day insurance and nothing more.

How soon before the talk from the media is that Rex is not happy with TT and is about ready to start EJM?

Seems to me the Bills made a nice adjustment

#gameaware

ps

I am freaking delighted going forward with these two!!

I don't know. It doesn't really make sense to me, to be honest. I'm not proposing it was done to pump up EJ or anything like that. I could see the reasoning to cut Cassel, and the reason to re-sign him. To trade him for a 2017 late round pick sorta goes against the reasons to re-sign him, IMO.

He hasn't played for the Pats in 6 years and Rex has played them 12 times since, so I don't know what he could really bring to the table in that regard. I agree they thought a vet presence would help on game days, so why move him?

If they deemed no drop off from the QB position if he was gone, then getting anything for him was a bonus. He was off the roster but still no one picked him up. Situation changed for Dallas with Romos injury. Opportunity for the Bills.

Jerry Sullivan

wow. I mean i knew that. But i wanted him called out again.

This man really has issues and was nearly flagrant and abusive.

I know his articles can be derisive and ascerbic, and immature. But wow just his tone makes me want to punch him.

Cap space is cap space.

I just don't see it making too much sense IMO. Unless EJ has been crushing it in practice. But even then, two weeks and the staff is convinced he's good enough to be the #2?

John Murphy was commenting on how much better EJ has been playing in practice the last couple of weeks.

Why is it so hard to understand that EJ Manuel is developing? He is getting proper coaching from an experienced staff that has developed a QB before and not from a rookie HC or rookie OC.

yes. and they like him> lets keep in mind this staff had no firm grasp on EJM, and he did not start out the early practices or OTAs very well. He did improve as most all recognize. and the lets keep in mind that many hear were wondering why EJ was not the two after his last PS game.

Cassel was insurance. EJM signifies hope and a belief that the Bills have two capable QBS and are going forward with that mindset. good on them

imo

So why did we sign Cassel two weeks ago? Did EJ make a huge jump running scout team last week?

got the bargain, fool. How could you not be delighted by saving 2 million while keeping the same player!

HELLO!

you are being difficult again Jerry

geebus, you are in tune with reality. except that last bit. Pure lunacy.

It was the other way around. kept him so Pats would not pick him up.

But he was always a spy and was found out by the Bills FO game day. thats why he is gone.

clear as Moonshine :flirt:

As I already said, they kept him for less overall money in case Taylor was a camp hero and not a gamer.

It was nearly brilliant gamesmanship!!

and even better they did Cowboys a solid. that will come back around

If they deemed no drop off from the QB position if he was gone, then getting anything for him was a bonus. He was off the roster but still no one picked him up. Situation changed for Dallas with Romos injury. Opportunity for the Bills.

If they deemed there was no drop off, why was he #2 last weekend?

As I already said, they kept him for less overall money in case Taylor was a camp hero and not a gamer.

So you think Cassel would've started if Taylor sucked?

Edited by FireChan

wow. I mean i knew that. But i wanted him called out again.

This man really has issues and was nearly flagrant and abusive.

I know his articles can be derisive and ascerbic, and immature. But wow just his tone makes me want to punch him.

agree. Ask the question, fine. It was answered, everyone else had moved on, yet he could not, and it was obnoxious. He was the only one who couldn't accept the answer. He also kept talking over Rex, which appeared like he thought his question was more important than the answer. Edited by YoloinOhio

If they deemed there was no drop off, why was he #2 last weekend?

So you think Cassel would've started if Taylor sucked?

I, think they might have. But he was #2 to finish the game if injury occurred. Is my honest opinion. then re evaluate after the game. Lots of things to consider< i might imagine

agree. Ask the question, fine. It was answered, everyone else had moved on, yet he could not, and it was obnoxious. He was the only one who couldn't accept the answer. He also kept talking over Rex, which appeared like he thought his question was more important than the answer.

Is this typical of him ?

I watch enough pressers, but this one stood out.

Ryan never flinched. i like that. i would have lost my ahem composure.

Yep, just like death and taxes...

love how he threw in the unrelated mention of the Jets D getting 10 turnovers in 2 weeks and had 13 all last year, but failed to add that the players in the secondary are all different, and high priced FAs added after he was gone. Facts are hard Jerry. Edited by YoloinOhio