Rex press conference - TT/EJ = The present and the future

YoloinOhio

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm yea we do. He's that guy that you have hated for the past however long you've hated him.

So EJ has been catapaulted into being the back-up plan since last weekend? Or two weeks ago? Because he's had some good practices?

Edited by FireChan

I like his belief in Manuel and I like what I have seen out of Manuel this year, but I am not fond of stating we have our "future" QB on the roster when our "present" is just beginning his tenure.

I think with how we play the QB position and with Tyrod being a bit small, EJ will get his chance due to injury at some point. Let him get his chance and let him prove his value. That's how players like other players to earn their keep. Don't preeminently annoint him "the future".

So EJ has been catapaulted into being the back-up plan since last weekend? Or two weeks ago? Because he's had some good practices?

Didn't you see the preseason games? Maybe you should listen to Rex's explanation in his presser. It appears, to me, that Rex really wasn't on board with bringing Cassel back nor elevating him to #2. I guess he lost out to the consensus at the time. Now, it seems that the consensus was OK with trading Cassel because of EJs progress.

Didn't you see the preseason games? Maybe you should listen to Rex's explanation in his presser. It appears, to me, that Rex really wasn't on board with bringing Cassel back nor elevating him to #2. I guess he lost out to the consensus at the time. Now, it seems that the consensus was OK with trading Cassel because of EJs progress.

See, that makes more sense. Rex didn't really want Cassel and he won out. I can understand that. There's no proof, but at least it comes together.

Two weeks seems a short time to flip flop, though.

Edited by FireChan

I like his belief in Manuel and I like what I have seen out of Manuel this year, but I am not fond of stating we have our "future" QB on the roster when our "present" is just beginning his tenure.

I think with how we play the QB position and with Tyrod being a bit small, EJ will get his chance due to injury at some point. Let him get his chance and let him prove his value. That's how players like other players to earn their keep. Don't preeminently annoint him "the future".

Reality bites!! The organization knows that if Tyrod plays lights out they will not be able to afford him when his contract is up. They will be able to re-sign Manuel at a modest salary and possibly trade Tyrod for his value will be enticing to another team.

IMO, Cassel served his purpose. The Bills had, at worst, three low level starters/high level backups. After re-signing him, Cassel was expendable because he was never going to be the starter. Whaley knew that there would be desperate teams, like there are every year, that would want to trade for one of his backups. If they could get a 2nd or 3rd for EJ, he'd probably have been gone. If they couldn't, they would just trade Cassel. Signing Cassel back was basically a freeroll.

maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't take it that literally. I don't think he has anointed anyone - he's just saying they are comfortable with TT as the starter for the present (I.e. Don't anticipate giving him a quick hook) and that they are interested in developing EJ as he has made progress with the current staff (I.e. Future).

Don't forget EJ has a 5th year option coming up which they will need to decide whether or not to exercise. If he's not the starter at that point, I can't see it and think he will leave in FA.

Not at all. Just that he has done enough if not more than enough, albeit along with TT showing what he has, to not need an overpaid vet to ride the bench.

Edited by The Wiz

Not really. He just has an incredibly low opinion of his readers.

Just like Bucky said, they'e all belligerent, vulgar mouth breathers...

"Dustin Vaughn might as well be Vince Vaughn as far I'm concerned!"

Ya don't say, Jerry. How witty! Don't hold your breath on any Pulitzers.

What is so confusing ...

@mikerodak: Bills take confusing stance on Matt Cassel trade, EJ Manuel promotion: http://t.co/rOYXQcK90O

Mike Rodak confuses his opinions with the facts so not surprised it is confusing to him. I suggest he be moved to cover high school sports.

My thought on why Cassel was the #2 is that as a veteran he was better prepared to come into a game cold than EJ. I figured that if any injury to Tyrod kept him out more than that game, EJ would be the starter the next week and Cassel would remain #2.

That is exactly what you figure the game plan was since Cassel as veteran supposedly would need less snaps.

With QBs small does not necessarily lead to injures unless the small QB stays in pocket and gets hit like larger, less mobile QBs. An example Fran Tarkenton made a career of dodging large players and avoiding the big hits. There are a number of other ones including a QB who played for Bills and polarized fans.

Its quite possible they brought Cassel back because he was able to come back cheap and be a veteran insurance policy in case something happened to start the season and TT looked bad or got hurt. So far he has looked decent, and they may have believed EJ would be starting if TT went down in a game with Cassel just being the #2 to fill in to finish a game and for a good lockerroom presence. With the recent injuries to some starting QBs Whaley started receiving some calls about Cassel (or made a few mentions he could be available) and figured they could get something for someone who doesn't have a future with the team. They can free up a spot now and possibly look at some of the guys that are UFAs now too if they feel they need a third guy on the roster, but may not feel thats necessary because TT and EJ have shown them enough in practice and on the field to be capable or they can trust them