Jets: Fitz is our guy!

YoloinOhio

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon Marshall may have cost Fitz a 3-0 start. I'd say he has done fine there. Not great but just fine.

Yeah 26CB nailed it. You obviously did not watch the game.

Marshall made one very boneheaded play. To be honest, it could have been overturned, and had it been called down by contact it likely would have gone the other way. But he's definitely dangerous, and we better double him when we play the Jets. On pretty much every other play he was deadly.

Marshall made one very boneheaded play. To be honest, it could have been overturned, and had it been called down by contact it likely would have gone the other way. But he's definitely dangerous, and we better double him when we play the Jets. On pretty much every other play he was deadly.

How could it be overturned? He wasn't even close to being down.

How could it be overturned? He wasn't even close to being down.

It was extremely close. The announcers and the NFL Ref guy (Mike Carey?) they spoke to all thought it was going to be overturned. I thought it looked like it was still in his hand but leaving it so they couldn't overturn it because there wasn't irrefutable evidence but it was extremely close.

It was extremely close. The announcers and the NFL Ref guy (Mike Carey?) they spoke to all thought it was going to be overturned. I thought it looked like it was still in his hand but leaving it so they couldn't overturn it because there wasn't irrefutable evidence but it was extremely close.

Really? All the clips I saw showed him on top of the defender with his knees in the air and his elbow not that close.

Either way, Marshall should know better to not attempt a lateral.

Edited by FireChan

This. I don't fault the refs for their call, and it was so stupid a decision I said aloud that he deserved that to be a turnover. But when you do frame by frame, his leg looks maybe down one frame before you see the ball leave his hand. It was close. Very, very close. I can't see it going the other other way if they call it the other way on the field.

Really? All the clips I saw showed him on top of the defender with his knees in the air and his elbow not that close.

Either way, Marshall should know better to not attempt a lateral.

Then I don't know which replay you were watching, because the one I saw sowed a simultaneous elbow on the ground and a ball release. My hunch is that if this was a normal fumble, then the call would have been overturned. But because it was such a stupid play, the refs just gave it to 'em.

This. I don't fault the refs for their call, and it was so stupid a decision I said aloud that he deserved that to be a turnover. But when you do frame by frame, his leg looks maybe down one frame before you see the ball leave his hand. It was close. Very, very close. I can't see it going the other other way if they call it the other way on the field.

Yep. It was one of those that was so close they wouldn't have overturned it regardless of which way it was originally called. Such a stupid thing to do. Made me laugh.

Seems as if you didn't watch him play yesterday.

The whole game no but for one thing that one bonheaded play was so bad it was worth about 5 boneheaded plays and since the Jets came within a TD by the end of the game it very well could have been the difference between a win and a loss.

Plus, it was not the only bad play he made. Did you see, on another play, Fitz throw a perfect pass right to Marshall which bounced right off his hands and into the hands of a defender?

Edited by Talley56

I can't believe people are forgetting how brutal Fitz was here at the end. Blame it on everything but him, sure, but hindsight is 20/20 after seeing his replacements and I sure as heck didn't want keep him at QB.

Yolo, it's Truth Fitz wasn't "The Guy" the Bills hoped for when they gave him that payday, but in all honesty, when they released Fitz with just TJax on the roster and signed Kolb, some of us didn't need hindsight to say that was gonna be a mistake. I get it that his "oooh Shiny" factor had worn off and many wanted to see him in the trash, but these days it's just not a good idea to toss a vet who can play QB into the dustbin without having something better.

I was bummed that we hadn't gone for a QB in the previous draft so we could start developing a guy,

Edited by Hopeful

Yolo, it's Truth Fitz wasn't "The Guy" the Bills hoped for when they gave him that payday, but in all honesty, when they released Fitz with just TJax on the roster and signed Kolb, some of us didn't need hindsight to say that was gonna be a mistake. I get it that his "oooh Shiny" factor had worn off and many wanted to see him in the trash, but these days it's just not a good idea to toss a vet who can play QB into the dustbin without having something better.

I was bummed that we hadn't gone for a QB in the previous draft so we could start developing a guy,

Yep. Houston may regret shipping Fitzy.

Fitz always lives up to his MO of disappointing fans at the end of games with crucial, boneheaded interceptions. You'd think by now he'd learn to play smarter at the end of games (he did attend Harvard, you know), but it is almost like he gets nervous or something and just desperately heaves his passes around the field.

Brandon Marshall may have cost Fitz a 3-0 start. I'd say he has done fine there. Not great but just fine.

Strangely enough, do I have this right - NONE of Fitz 3 interceptions resulted in points for the Iggles?

That's just Wrong. Bad Iggles, bad birdies. Bad bad.

Chan Gailey dialed up 116 throws in 3 games for Fitz. That's on pace for....618 attempts in a season? If the Jets want to see Fitz throw 25 INTs, way to go!

Hopeful -- if you recall, the Bills were likely going to try to restructure Fitz's deal and keep him as the mentor to EJ, but then Buddy Nix was catfished by those two dudes and his conversation with the Tampa GM was made public in which he made disparaging remarks about Fitz. The bridge was burned at that point. Kolb was not the first option.

Hopeful -- if you recall, the Bills were likely going to try to restructure Fitz's deal and keep him as the mentor to EJ, but then Buddy Nix was catfished by those two dudes and his conversation with the Tampa GM was made public in which he made disparaging remarks about Fitz. The bridge was burned at that point. Kolb was not the first option.

I do recall that. I suppose we'll never know what happened exactly. Fitz's public comment was that the two sides were "never close". Fitz earned $3.3M with the Titans that year. Reports in the news media stated the Bills offered Fitz a 4 year contract "averaging $3M/year" with incentives that could increase it to $7M. It's an educated guess that what the Bills wanted to pay Fitz in 2013 was closer to TJax money, with performance incentives if he started and nothing guaranteed if they cut him at the end of training camp, and Fitz said "ah, No." (The educated part comes in looking at typical contracts; when a player has a 4 year deal the salary in the 1st year is normally <1/2 of the "average", and having recently paid Fitzy big bonuses the Bills were unlikely to be offering more up front)

I really don't think the Catfish incident played into it. Fitz had a house and kids in school in Buffalo and a strong understanding of the business aspect. I think if the Bills had offered Fitz something guaranteed and a salary close to what he got from the Titans, he would likely have stayed, disparaging remarks or no. I don't think he'd have stayed for TJax money and no guarantee even if Nix was caught on tape praising him to the skies.

But all that is just educated guessing.

Prediction: Geno will play by Week 8 (Raiders), and under Chan's no-risks system, he will actually be effective. Not great, but good, and better than Fitz.

Frankish, can you help me understand what you mean by Chan's "no risks" system?

Yep. It was one of those that was so close they wouldn't have overturned it regardless of which way it was originally called. Such a stupid thing to do. Made me laugh.

I also thought that the receiver's intent was taken into consideration given the fact that it was a close call. Marshall obviously lateraled the ball on purpose. So unless he was obviously down, it would be unjust to rule him down. In my opinion. He meant to toss the ball and did toss the ball, therefore it should stick as a fumble.