Defending the Ace Formation

I know this popped in another thread, but I wanted to spend some time looking at this. The Patriots went heavy with 4 TE's and 1 HB multiple times against the Steelers, and one Boston writer is going on about how it's the "perfect" formation: http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/9/14/9321943/film-review-new-england-patriots-perfect-four-tight-end-set

Now, I don't think any formation is perfect, otherwise they'd run it constantly. I was hoping we could get our heads together and go over how we expect Rex to counter.

My first thought is that no matter how much you beef up the ends of the line, they have a pair of rookies at C and RG, a 4th rounder and an UDFA. They are going up against two Pro Bowlers up the middle all game.

After that...is there a reason not to put Gilmore on Gronk there?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys like manny, brown and bradham can survive against most average tight ends.

Gilmore on gronk would be the obvious matchup it seems.

Manny on chandler is fine by me.

Then a mess of safeties and linebackers taking care of the rest? Doesn't seem too stressful at first glance. None of the other 3 TE are that challenging in the run or the passing game.

Guys like manny, brown and bradham can survive against most average tight ends.

Gilmore on gronk would be the obvious matchup it seems.

Manny on chandler is fine by me.

Then a mess of safeties and linebackers taking care of the rest? Doesn't seem too stressful at first glance. None of the other 3 TE are that challenging in the run or the passing game.

I like this line of thinking. Manny giving Chandler a hard Chuck at the LOS is all that's needed to disrupt his pattern; he is just not that strong.

The key to not letting Gronk beat you, is not letting anyone else beat you.

GO BILLS!!!

Good find.

Key quotes:

"These plays work because the Steelers have to respect the Patriots run game with the four tight ends on the field. If teams keep defensive backs on the field when the Patriots get LeGarrette Blount next week, then New England is just going to run the ball down the opposing team's throat for easy yardage. But when the teams put linebackers on the field, then Rob Gronkowski and Scott Chandler are able to win their 1-on-1 match-ups every time."

"The weakness of every AFC East competitor is their distinct lack of quality linebackers."

Edited by hondo in seattle

for the life of me.. i can't understand why DBs aren't coached to do the following in a short field -

setup no more than 2 yards off the los, on the inside shoulder of the receiver

jam him if he tries to break inside immediately

back pedal - maintaining position between him and the QB with eyes in the backfield - if he heads upfield

contact is allowed within 5 yards, and this takes away the quick slant, and the timing of any rub intended for a teammate trailing a man inside of yours

it also allows the db to keep position on a drag or other inside routes, and react to a fade

i'm so sick of watching receivers catching balls over the heads of DBs with their backs turned to the ball.. down close, you don't need get your hips turned as quick to run, because there's nowhere to run.. with a 2 yard head start. most DBs can back-pedal 10 yards before reacting to a fade other other outside route

guess it's me.. but i don't get it

Good find.

Key quotes:

"These plays work because the Steelers have to respect the Patriots run game with the four tight ends on the field. If teams keep defensive backs on the field when the Patriots get LeGarrette Blount next week, then New England is just going to run the ball down the opposing team's throat for easy yardage. But when the teams put linebackers on the field, then Rob Gronkowski and Scott Chandler are able to win their 1-on-1 match-ups every time."

"The weakness of every AFC East competitor is their distinct lack of quality linebackers."

im sorry but chandler does not win his matchups every time. its simply not even close to true. he wins them sometimes, but even when he does the damage is limited.

Also, the idea that you couldn't possibly play any DB, because if so Blount will run it in easy...

Seriously? If we let Gilmore have his way and cover Gronk here, that's still 10 guys against a not very good internal O-line.

They're getting close to being superstars.

I agree. Just shy, but really really good.

That whole article is flawed. First, huge misstatement. Timmons is a great coverage linebacker and that cannot be denied. He lined up too far off Chandler on a 1 foot pass play. That's just a play you really can't beat without engaging your player fully at the line, which in the Patriot world is usually a PI or hold.

The final Gronk TD was poor positioning by the CB.

I watched the game. This guy focused on TD's that don't matter. The ones that mattered were elsewhere in the game, the Steelers got beat all over.

I would like Manny popping Gronk at the line and release him to Branham. If it's a run, Branham can get to the ball carrier. Let Brown cover Chandler.

I'd like to see Lawson take Gronk and smash him into the ground at the LOS.

My friend and I were talking about this the other day.

Why not put Mario or Hughes over gronk* when hes not lined up wide, in the slot or the backfield? So if gronk* is anywhere on the line...just let one of those 2 guys engage him at the line with a safety or LB behind him to help. Both of those guys are physical enough to slow him at the line and beat him up a little.

I know this can make you susceptible against the run, but I'd probably take our chances if it meant eliminating gronk* from the game plan totally. Someone who knows X's and O's please let me know why this is a terrible idea.

Why not put Mario or Hughes over gronk* when hes not lined up wide, in the slot or the backfield? So if gronk* is anywhere on the line...just let one of those 2 guys engage him at the line with a safety or LB behind him to help. Both of those guys are physical enough to slow him at the line and beat him up a little.

I know this can make you susceptible against the run, but I'd probably take our chances if it meant eliminating gronk* from the game plan totally. Someone who knows X's and O's please let me know why this is a terrible idea.

Interesting idea...I think I like it. It does minimize our pass rush though and give Brady more time. I'd be in favor of a combination of Manny Lawson/Aaron Williams covering Gronk too. We didn't have A Williams last year at home. Think both of those guys have the size/speed combo to match up...

Edited by Dont Stop Billeiving

My concern there is what happens if he chips and goes into the flat. If Mario or Hughes holds on, that's likely a 1st down. If he gets to the flat, he gets a head of steam and likely only an LB to stop him.

Maybe I'm crazy and Lawson or Bradham could handle it.

Yeah I don't know how they get that Brown and Bradham and subpar. They're not superstars, but very solid. Bradham was flying across the field Sunday.

They're relatively young and unknown. No pro bowlers YET.. But we know now, and its time for the rest to learn