Is Greg Roman the next Mike Pettine?

Coach Tuesday

Picked this up in a few stray posts in various threads so I thought I'd start a new thread specifically about it.

Do folks think that Roman is likely to be one-and-done? I do and here's why:

Roman lived in Harbaugh's shadow in S.F. - Harbaugh took most of the credit for the success of that offense (which masked a raw and flawed mobile QB), and he got blamed for the failure of that offense after Harbaugh basically quit on the franchise last season.

Now he comes to Buffalo to serve under a defensive-minded HC, in a situation where he can't really fail - his own GM has described it as "QB purgatory" and putting aside what that means, it's clear that the Bills' QB situation is not envied around the league. So if the offense fails, he won't really be blamed for it - but if it succeeds, especially with a raw and possibly flawed (at least vertically flawed) mobile QB, Roman will instantly become one of the hottest HC names in the league next offseason.

Does he cash in and bolt?

Oh, and I'm predicting already that the likeliest destination for him will be the Redskins - think about it - milquetoast head coach, frustrated fanbase, and an impatient owner who might want to salvage a raw, flawed mobile QB...

I don't think Jay Gruden survives the season in Washington. And if the Bills offense has any measurable success, I'd expect Dan Snyder's plane to be on its way to Buffalo in early February (probably the day after we win the Superbowl :D )...

Thoughts?

(Yes I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me get ahead of myself. And at least it's not another QB or FJax thread. And you clicked on it and the subject line was pretty damn descriptive - you knew what you were getting yourself into.)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked this up in a few stray posts in various threads so I thought I'd start a new thread specifically about it.

Do folks think that Roman is likely to be one-and-done? I do and here's why:

Roman lived in Harbaugh's shadow in S.F. - Harbaugh took most of the credit for the success of that offense (which masked a raw and flawed mobile QB), and he got blamed for the failure of that offense after Harbaugh basically quit on the franchise last season.

Now he comes to Buffalo to serve under a defensive-minded HC, in a situation where he can't really fail - his own GM has described it as "QB purgatory" and putting aside what that means, it's clear that the Bills' QB situation is not envied around the league. So if the offense fails, he won't really be blamed for it - but if it succeeds, especially with a raw and possibly flawed (at least vertically flawed) mobile QB, Roman will instantly become one of the hottest HC names in the league next offseason.

Does he cash in and bolt?

Oh, and I'm predicting already that the likeliest destination for him will be the Redskins - think about it - milquetoast head coach, frustrated fanbase, and an impatient owner who might want to salvage a raw, flawed mobile QB...

I don't think Jay Gruden survives the season in Washington. And if the Bills offense has any measurable success, I'd expect Dan Snyder's plane to be on its way to Buffalo in early February (probably the day after we win the Superbowl :D )...

Thoughts?

(Yes I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me get ahead of myself. And at least it's not another QB or FJax thread. And you clicked on it and the subject line was pretty damn descriptive - you knew what you were getting yourself into.)

Yes, he didn't come here for the long haul.

He wanted a situation that would make his work stand out.

There were some around that league that were enthralled with Roman's running game design.......but his work has been largely under appreciated.

I don't think a broken-play guy like Taylor is the ideal QB to draw attention to GR's coaching ability........but he's the best fit for the personnel the Bills have and I think Roman will now be appreciated if his work yields results.

His stock was hotter with the niners. Superbowl, etc. He had interest this past off season but mainly as an OC. lovie Smith wanted him. Etc.

For Being fairly young he has been around the league yet no offers. maybe the Bills before hiring Rex might have pulled the trigger.

No,doubt he is a top 10 OC. And having worked with Rex before, a decent salary from El Pegul, who knows maybe he stays awhile.

His stock was hotter with the niners. Superbowl, etc. He had interest this past off season but mainly as an OC. lovie Smith wanted him. Etc.

For Being fairly young he has been around the league yet no offers. maybe the Bills before hiring Rex might have pulled the trigger.

No,doubt he is a top 10 OC. And having worked with Rex before, a decent salary from El Pegul, who knows maybe he stays awhile.

San Frans fans didn`t like him the last couple years. Were glad to see him go. Lets see how this year pans out.

San Frans fans didn`t like him the last couple years. Were glad to see him go. Lets see how this year pans out.

Niner fans were justifibly upset at Kaps regression, hard to say if that was Roman's fault. and well Jeb York is the latest meddling douche. he destroyed that team.

I really wish Tyrod well but the read option seems like a fad that could have a limited successful shelf life once defenses figure Romans offense out. it might be why no one pursued Roman heavily as a HC. it could be a very high scoring offense or............. IMO Tyrod has the potential to be a better QB than kap. I don't see Roman as a one and done OC in Buffalo.

The best thing the Bills could do is have a succession plan in place to have a current assistant in place to take over with the same offense if roman leaves. Would suck to have to bring in some high profile guy who tosses everything out to run his own offense ( all this assumes Romans offense was incredibly successful of course)

Hotter than now? Yes.

Hotter than if he turns the Bills into a potent offensive team? No.

There is no Harbaugh here to take the credit for QB play.

Does anyone consider the possibility that Roman looked good, because Harbaugh was good. Have any of Rex's previous OCs ever become a hot commodity?

Does anyone consider the possibility that Roman looked good, because Harbaugh was good. Have any of Rex's previous OCs ever become a hot commodity?

Yes, I did.

I wasn't initially thrilled with the Roman hiring.

Then I watched the SF tape a bit more closely and developed an appreciation for the sophistication of his running game and the violence it brought to his offense.

To put it kindly......the Bills offense has been on the receiving end of the violence for years now.

I also noticed how inefficient Kaepernick was.

That lack of passing production was held against Roman........I was worried about bringing a ground and pound guy to a team with Sammy and Woods..........but Kaepernick is just plain sloppy and raw.

I developed an appreciation for what Roman was actually able to get done...championship games and a SB..... without consistency from his QB.

I wouldn't be so sure. San Fran ownership wanted him out and blamed him for Kaepernick's regression. I doubt he gets a HC job offer with guys like Brian Kelly, Gus Malzahn, and even Josh McDaniels potentially available. Taylor would need to play like a ProBowl QB for him to get offers. We just need him to play like Russell Wilson and Flacco. Don't do anything to lose the game and make a big play every once in a while with feet or arm.

I wouldn't be so sure. San Fran ownership wanted him out and blamed him for Kaepernick's regression. I doubt he gets a HC job offer with guys like Brian Kelly, Gus Malzahn, and even Josh McDaniels potentially available. Taylor would need to play like a ProBowl QB for him to get offers. We just need him to play like Russell Wilson and Flacco. Don't do anything to lose the game and make a big play every once in a while with feet or arm.

I'd hate to be a fan of the team that hires Josh McDaniels. I think Roman gets offers before him.