How Does Indy Game Plan for Taylor?

PolishDave

This post is not to suggest that Taylor is the starter for week 1 because we simply won't know for sure who it is until Rex actually announces it.

But, regardless of who does actually end up starting, Indy is going to have to try to be prepared for the possibility that it might be Tyrod Taylor.

And my question is - How does Indy game plan for Taylor? What would you do if you had to try to stop him?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post is not to suggest that Taylor is the starter for week 1 because we simply won't know for sure who it is until Rex actually announces it.

But, regardless of who does actually end up starting, Indy is going to have to try to be prepared for the possibility that it might be Tyrod Taylor.

And my question is - How does Indy game plan for Taylor? What would you do if you had to try to stop him?

i would game plan to stop the run and keep a spy on TT. Make him beat you with his arm.

That makes sense.

What about typically perceived passing situations? Like 3rd and longs? Do you bring pressure? And how?

the Colts can't rush the passer with their front 4 (or at least that was the case last year and into the preseason) so I do think they will blitz - they are going to probably leave Vontae Davis 1:1 with Watkins and hope he can win the majority of the battles.

i would game plan to stop the run and keep a spy on TT. Make him beat you with his arm.

I don't think one spy would work on TT, unless you leave one like the Mike- then have the the ends not crash on every play- just focus on contain... That puts a lot of stress on your secondary and tends to open up runs that can average another yard or two longer than they would typically be, but if you are Indy and fear that TT will be dangerous and needs contained- that's how I would do it...

Yep. Spy. He's got enough of an arm to beat them though, and he'll have most of the sports cars back by then so it won't be easy for Indy.

Yup. Indy has a poor defense which is going to be a problem for them. They are a good matchup for the Bills.

I think Greg Manusky (colts DC) is crapping his pants and really wishing this game was going to be at Indy instead of at Buffalo.

Tyrod's style is very similar to Russel Wilsons so I imagine the game plans against him would be similar.

Which is what? How do teams effectively stop Russel Wilson?

The first play from scrimmage should be a designed run for TT so that it puts into the heads of not just the Colts but every team that TT will be a threat to run the ball on any given play. Then take a deep shot (and hopefully it's completed). Boom!

The first play from scrimmage should be a designed run for TT so that it puts into the heads of not just the Colts but every team that TT will be a threat to run the ball on any given play. Then take a deep shot (and hopefully it's completed). Boom!

That is assuming he gets the start. But regardless of whether he does or not, how do you game plan against him?

I'd think that starting Taylor, Indy will have to spread out the D and use man coverage alot. He dfinatly has shown the ability to beat the blitz, so he will give them a lot to think about. But with Luck on the other side we will need to score a lot of points to beat them. If Indy can't contain Taylor, if he has room to move around and a little time, he could crush them, extend drives and keep Luck off the field.

All that's being said though, Indy, with a poor D, as many have stated, was still 11-5 last year and was in the AFC conference championship. They are my pick to go to represent the AFC in the Superbowl this year, until proven otherwise...

That is assuming he gets the start. But regardless of whether he does or not, how do you game plan against him?

I agree with putting a spy on him and trying to keep him in the pocket and hope he can't beat you with his arm.

I agree with putting a spy on him and trying to keep him in the pocket and hope he can't beat you with his arm.

which is what Roman has had to counter for years as OC for Kaep. so, I think he will be prepared with a good game plan and as always it will be up to TT to execute that with accurate throws and the WRs to catch the ball.

I've got a feeling that if they try to just contain him, he will pick them apart and still make plays with his feet when the situation arises.

I think they have to defeat him mentally somehow. They have to confuse him to the point where he becomes indecisive. If they can do that, then he might be in trouble.

The problem they have there is that if the guy is being indecisive about who he should throw the ball to, he just tucks it in and becomes a running back, and a pretty damn good one at that.

With this guy, every play is really an (audible/option) even if he doesn't call the audible at the line of scrimmage.

I really wonder how well he would perform if he his given the chance in a situation where a defense tries to prepare for him. It could be a flop, or it could be unbelievably exciting.

Edited by PolishDave

I've got a feeling that if they try to just contain him, he will pick them apart and still make plays with his feet when the situation arises.

I think they have to defeat him mentally somehow. They have to confuse him to the point where he becomes indecisive. If they can do that, then he might be in trouble.

The problem they have there is that if the guy is being indecisive about who he should throw the ball to, he just tucks it in and becomes a running back, and a pretty damn good one at that.

With this guy, every play is really an (audible/option) even if he doesn't call the audible at the line of scrimmage.

I really wonder how well he would perform if he his given the chance in a situation where a defense tries to prepare for him. It could be a flop, or it could be unbelievably exciting.

I think this is the best answer so far... Even with a spy or maintaining lanes, it actually requires the player to do the right thing, and while these are professional athletes, instinct and misreads tend to draw them out of the position that they have game planned for, which leads to failed execution- fortunately for us, their DC isn't someone like Rex who creates pre-snap confusion....

if I'm the Bills here's what I do: use Clay, McCoy, Harvin to attack the middle of the field. get their LB's to cover them. even if they are covered then T-Mobile runs it up the middle for a 10 yard gain once the LB's drop back in coverage. if they try and spy him then we have the receivers open over the middle. if they try and drop down the safety to help then we have Watkins or Woods deep. it's almost too easy. Indy can't stop it.

but unfortunately we can't stop Indy either. Andrew Luck will have either T.Y. Hilton or Andre Johnson in man coverage vs Darby. they will probably throw that way 30 times at least. it's a glaring hole on defense and a good QB will be able to take advantage