Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having 3 QBs in a close race for the starters job, is actually a nice problem to have. I hope one of them turns out to be our answer, but depth at the QB position is a good thing!

Go Bills!

I think it's just the opposite; the best teams don't have a competition and have a clear number one. Three average don't beat one good QB.

I'm a little lost here. Why are media types assuming EJ Manuel is 3rd on the depth chart when the Bills put out their official depth chart and all 3 QBs were listed as starters?

Because he has apparently been getting way fewer snaps with the 1s than either TT or Cassel over the last few weeks of camp?

Some people (including Rex) have come up with somewhat tortured rationales for this, but I don't see any way to read it other than that he has been behind the other two in the coaches' minds. Doesn't mean he has been out of the competition, and doesn't mean things won't/can't change. But I think anyone who argues that he has been even with or ahead of the other two QBs is fooling themselves.

Credit to Rex, though for staying flexible and giving EJ a shot this weekend. I don't believe he had this in mind all along. Otherwise he would have kept the fairly even practice rotation he had earlier in the year.

If EJ can really pull it together to become a more confident, accurate, and comfortable QB, I will be surprised at this point but very, very happy. Hard not to root for the guy, even beyond the fact that he's a Buffalo Bill. But I'd say the same thing about TT, and I think he's got more of an NFL QB temperament and brain than EJ does. We'll see. Most exciting season (in advance) in recent memory!

What are the chances of the dreaded "two headed monster"?

EJ starts with TT coming in for a change of pace, read option, or if EJ struggles.

And Cassel as a safety net in case of failure by one of or both of the other two.

Two-headed monsters rarely win in the NFL.

Yet, I've also had the same thought. Play the guy with the hot hand.

For those of you who think that starting EJ this Saturday is a sign that he is going to be named the starting quarterback for the season right after that game, I think your delusion is as bad as the guy who thinks that he saw the face of Jesus in his toast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPo411ysueM

But he really did see the face of Jesus.

I'm all in on the ABC for QB. Cassel is very low risk, low reward. I don't think he can be a play from behind QB. If we get behind, I don't see him picking up the team and carrying them.

I like TT, but I just have this feeling that if you are going to go with that, you better have a QB ready to step in. TT is going to get hurt. Watching him on that 21 yard option vs. the Browns, he's going to get taken out.

I really like EJ. Do I think he's the second coming of Jim Kelly? I would really like to hold judgement until after the Pittsburgh game, but I am really thinking that Simon is right on the money. He has a lot of heart, and a lot of talent. He's not perfect, and he had by far a horrible Bills upbringing the past 2 seasons.

I would not be disappointed if the decision by the bills is TT, with EJ as backup. If Cassell is even sniffing starting, this team isn't going far, even with a very talented defense and skill players.

For the QB thread haters, what other position is so debatable on the roster? :) If the QB position wasn't the most important one for the team, it is still the most hotly contested one on the Bills. (Unless you want to go TE, Charles Clay had better show us why he got all that green, it certainly hasn't been shown thus far in the preseason).

TE, Charles Clay had better show us why he got all that green, it certainly hasn't been shown thus far in the preseason).

Big PayDay Clay is a sunken cost at this point in time.

He had a nice 15 yard catch against Carolina.

I'm targeting Clay in round 10 and later in fantasy as a TE2 if the draft breaks that way or the league needs one. If he stays healthy I think he is inline for a big year. I actually got Woods in the 3rd last round of a mock draft. I think that is a huge value in fantasy.

Clay and Woods are really the only Bills I'm going to target because Sammy and McCoy are going way too early imo.

EJ lost his receivers last year after nearly getting several of them killed. He waits until receivers are open before he makes the throw...he's not the answer.

Can you refresh my memory on this with a link or something? I hear this statement from time to time, but don't recall seeing any actual evidence of it.

I sort of think the Bills can win the Super Bowl THIS season, though.

Based on Rex's previous stint as head coach, his best chance of winning it all were his first two seasons.

Maybe we don't have to wait for the iron to get hot, maybe it's already hot, and it's time to strike NOW.

I would start the best QB, which I think is Tyrod.

For those of you who think that starting EJ this Saturday is a sign that he is going to be named the starting quarterback for the season right after that game, I think your delusion is as bad as the guy who thinks that he saw the face of Jesus in his toast.

I don't think anyone thinks that, but thanks.

I sort of think the Bills can win the Super Bowl THIS season, though.

Based on Rex's previous stint as head coach, his best chance of winning it all were his first two seasons.

Maybe we don't have to wait for the iron to get hot, maybe it's already hot, and it's time to strike NOW.

I would start the best QB, which I think is Tyrod.

The team is stacked at RB, WR, and the entire Defense.

Question marks are QB and O-Line.

Clock is ticking on Kyle and Mario Williams. Darius may be looking for $120 Million payout next year.

I'd say there is no question that the opportunity is now.

I think that Rex & Whaley are all in this year.

O-Lines gel over time and I think there is great raw talent on the team. If the coaches can unlock the raw talent on the O-lIne and you can find someone that doesn't lose games like Alex Smith or Russell Wilson (well he kinda lost the super bowl) This team is poised to make a playoff run.

Given the 15 year history it is a pretty big jump to say Super Bowl run but a boy can dream . . .

Edited by 1B4IDie

Grilled Cheezus!!!

My daughter was a teenage when that episode aired.

Very few think EJ is guaranteed the starting spot in Week 1.

Some might say that it was delusion for some to think EJ was never in competition and would never play with the starters for the Steelers game.

If that was true they wouldn't have waited until game 3 to give him time with the 1st team. This is to save the starter for the regular season.

What?!?!??!!! Put down the pipe- game three is the audition..... If it isn't Manuel, it will be whoever shows the best with the ones.... I think Manuel is their guy....

I hope Manuel is their guy and he's been looking better than both in camp... Can you imagine a developed EJ that is better than what we have seen from the other two in preseason game so far????

Can you refresh my memory on this with a link or something? I hear this statement from time to time, but don't recall seeing any actual evidence of it.

I'd like to preface by saying that I would be thrilled if EJ shows us tomorrow he has progressed enough to win the starting job, but I do remember him having what I would call "growing pains" along the lines mentioned by Cantankerous.

From an Oct '14 La Confora CBS Sports article;

During a recent loss to San Diego, after sailed balls had put pass catchers in danger, 2014 first-round pick Sammy Watkins stopped short on one ball and sources said at times receivers have been demonstrative and vocal about the errant throws.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24738411/bills-benched-ej-manuel-in-part-because-he-put-wideouts-in-danger

If EJ doesn't deliver tomorrow, I will be hoping its Tyrod for the Indy game.

What?!?!??!!! Put down the pipe- game three is the audition..... If it isn't Manuel, it will be whoever shows the best with the ones.... I think Manuel is their guy....

I hope Manuel is their guy and he's been looking better than both in camp... Can you imagine a developed EJ that is better than what we have seen from the other two in preseason game so far????

No I can't. Now it's your turn to put down the corncob pipe.

Certainly not proclaiming him to be there now- but if he is.... Holy crap!

EJ Is still learning the good news is he enjoys learning which means he can get better. His size is Big Ben plus he is mobile.... I also enjoyed watching him last season in the last two mins he makes plays under pressure some of the best collapse under pressure so he has potential but I think they give the nod to Tyrod then when he gets injured mike Vick style we see EJ because he can run a similar offense