Seattle DL Michael Bennett calls out QBs for $, complaining

YoloinOhio

Seahawks' Michael Bennett calls out 'mediocre' quarterbacks who get paid, complain about hits

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2800916/Michael-Bennett-rants-about-contracts-professionalism

First up in Bennett's rant was Ryan Tannehill, who has a 23-25 record in three seasons with Miami and signed a six-year extension worth about $95 million in May.

"Quarterback is the only position in the NFL where you could be mediocre and get paid," Bennett said. "At every other position, you can't be mediocre. If I was Ryan Tannehill and the most games I ever won was seven, how could you get a $100 million for that? I guess that's the value of the position.

Bennett has not shut his mouth since he entered the league. And most of the time he's talking about money - his or someone else's. He's a douche.

For the most part, I agree...BUT, he's got a point about QB's. The $$ that is thrown around at that position (Romo, Flacco, Tannefriggnhill, etc.) is ridiculous.

QB's get paid because it's the toughest position to play in the sport and one of the toughest in all of sports. Only about half of the NFL teams have someone they would say is their "franchise" QB, so when you find one you have to pay them. Simple as that. If it was easy to do then everyone would do it. There's only a few people in the whole world that are good enough to get that $100 mil contract so I don't understand his point.

On the flipside, there are way more DL's in the league so it's obviously much easier to make it at that position so why would you pay those guys when you know there's a line of meatheads down the block waiting for their shot?

He kind of has a point though. Mario Williams, a 1st overall pick, multi year Pro Bowler, one of the best players at his position, signed a record setting deal at the time. He makes $16 a year on his contract as an average. He is a difference maker, even if he's not wracking up pretty stats every game.

Ryan Tannehill is not, by pretty much every metric, an elite player at his position. His best effort was last year with a QB which placed him at 16th in the league in Total QBR. That is, for reference, worse than Mark Sanchez. For the next five years, he is making an average of $17.6 million a year.

That's currently the going rate for slightly above average QB play. It's an unsustainable rate of growth and unless the salary cap also explodes it's going to lead to teams blowing their wads on journeymen like we did with Fitz and fielding scrubs at the other positions.

That's currently the going rate for slightly above average QB play. It's an unsustainable rate of growth and unless the salary cap also explodes it's going to lead to teams blowing their wads on journeymen like we did with Fitz and fielding scrubs at the other positions.

It's not like teams don't have a choice. The Bills (by force, not choice) are building a very talented team with mediocre QB's that aren't taking up too much of the cap. Even if one of them ends up being solid, they would resign for a relatively good price.

The fact is, the teams with these overpriced QB's, meaning simply better than mediocre QB play, historically have a better chance of winning. Once it gets to the point that QB's are making it impossible to win because a team can't afford to put decent players around them, things will slowly start to change. I think we're getting closer to that day. Advertising money can't go up forever (there's been some articles about ESPN starting to lose money), and once the salary cap stops expanding at such ridiculous rates everyone will have to start rethinking their cap strategies.

The QB position is sucking up lots of cash for mediocre play, but the fact is even mediocre QB play puts you in a better position to win.

As QB salaries out pace the salary cap adjustments to the cap mentality will be made.

Now imagine if there was no salary cap

It's not like teams don't have a choice. The Bills (by force, not choice) are building a very talented team with mediocre QB's that aren't taking up too much of the cap. Even if one of them ends up being solid, they would resign for a relatively good price.

The fact is, the teams with these overpriced QB's, meaning simply better than mediocre QB play, historically have a better chance of winning. Once it gets to the point that QB's are making it impossible to win because a team can't afford to put decent players around them, things will slowly start to change. I think we're getting closer to that day. Advertising money can't go up forever (there's been some articles about ESPN starting to lose money), and once the salary cap stops expanding at such ridiculous rates everyone will have to start rethinking their cap strategies.

I agree with you. And I like to think that we're seeing the onset of change there by having a few teams succeed using a system rather than a star QB. Chip Kelly, for all my doubts of him as a GM, achieved a lot of success with a beaten down Vick (who looked dreadful after he left for the Jets), Foles (who has not looked good this preseason, and Sanchez (who is a known quantity). Harbaugh and Roman gave the Niners a great run, and that team looks to be imploding now that they're gone.

I'm hoping Rex and Roman can do the same thing here.

I agree with you. And I like to think that we're seeing the onset of change there by having a few teams succeed using a system rather than a star QB. Chip Kelly, for all my doubts of him as a GM, achieved a lot of success with a beaten down Vick (who looked dreadful after he left for the Jets), Foles (who has not looked good this preseason, and Sanchez (who is a known quantity). Harbaugh and Roman gave the Niners a great run, and that team looks to be imploding now that they're gone.

I'm hoping Rex and Roman can do the same thing here.

Andrew Luck is going to be a pretty big test next year regarding this subject. I can't imagine what he's going to ask for/get.

Andrew Luck is going to be a pretty big test next year regarding this subject. I can't imagine what he's going to ask for/get.

Yeah. If Tannehill signed an extension for 4 years at 19.6 M a year after his rookie option year, I can't imagine what Luck's will be. Considering the franchise tag is 18.5...

It seems now that you either get lucky when drafting, or you build around a subpar QB like the Cards did.

I love how he says he "respects Tom Brady's toughness". Really? I don't know if there's another quarterback in the NFL that lobbies to the refs for roughing the passer after every hit he takes than him. The idiot should shut up and play football. In terms of Tannehill, he's got 51 TD's to 29 INT's in the last two seasons. Right now, he looks like he has the potential to be exactly like a young Drew Brees. As a Bills fan, I hope not, but the numbers tell a different story than him being "mediocre".

If he wants to get paid more he should be a QB. If he can't then he needs to shut his whore mouth. Same with CEO's and those that make the 800% or 45000% that are complained about. If you want that pay, go get that education and dedicate yourself like those people did. Nothing stop you or anyone, nothing stopping Bennett from being a QB.

Sit down, shut up, Michael.

I love how he says he "respects Tom Brady's toughness". Really? I don't know if there's another quarterback in the NFL that lobbies to the refs for roughing the passer after every hit he takes than him. The idiot should shut up and play football. In terms of Tannehill, he's got 51 TD's to 29 INT's in the last two seasons. Right now, he looks like he has the potential to be exactly like a young Drew Brees. As a Bills fan, I hope not, but the numbers tell a different story than him being "mediocre".

Pardon me while a list a few QBs who had better, or as good as, Yards gained per passing attempt: Brian Hoyer. Geno Smith. Mark Sanchez. Austin Davis. Drew Stanton. Kirk Cousins. Mike Glennon. Shaun Hill.

You know who was right behind? At a whopping 6.8 YPA to Tannehill's 6.9 was the Uncle Rico impersonator himself, Kyle Orton.

He kind of has a point though. Mario Williams, a 1st overall pick, multi year Pro Bowler, one of the best players at his position, signed a record setting deal at the time. He makes $16 a year on his contract as an average. He is a difference maker, even if he's not wracking up pretty stats every game.

Ryan Tannehill is not, by pretty much every metric, an elite player at his position.

Tannehill is a difference maker simply because he plays QB.

If given a choice who makes the bigger impact on a game: Tannehill vs. the worst starting QB in the league or Mario vs. the worst starting DE in the league. I'd say Tannehill is the more important player simply because of his position.

That's why guys like Tannehill get paid big bucks. He might not be nearly as good as his craft as Mario but even an average QB has a huge impact on the game vs. what a team might have to deal with if they let him go.

It's akin to the baseball stat WAR (wins above replacement.) Imagine the WAR numbers of even an average #1 pitcher if he got to pitch every single game. It would be much bigger than any star player at any other position. That's the QB.

most important position on the team will get paid more than a comparable player at another position. As someone else said, a team can survive w/ the worst DE in the league on its starting roster. A team cannot survive with the worst QB in the league on its starting roster.