A few observations on the game from your friend in Cleveland

Hey OP, Thanks for sharing!! A couple corrections.

Manuel is our #3 QB not 2 but still better than McClown.

Tampas offense was ugly last year, I'd expect the same at the factory.

Browns are just a bad team, sub .500 this year.

Imo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bills fans! I was at the game last night at First Energy (you all should have made the short trek from Buffalo, plenty of good seats were left!) I watched your team quite a bit. Thought I would share some thoughts.

1. Your #2 (3?) QB is better than our #1. Manuel > McCown all day. I wouldn't mind the Browns trying to swing a trade for him since you have two other QBs ahead of him. I've always thought he was pretty good, and would like to have another developmental QB besides Manziel. He is much further along and his arm is fantastic.

2. Your defense is crazy fast, and furious. Pettine had cautioned us last week that there was a steep drop-off from the #1 D to the second team D and to take that into account when watching Manziel, but I didn't see a big difference in the 2nd half other than the safeties.

3. Tyrod Taylor is also a step ahead of everyone in terms of his speed. I was kind of surprised by his size though. He looked smaller than I expected. Also, he is going to have a rough go of it in the film room today. A few times he had guys open and didn't see them or didn't want to throw it, not sure which. 85 and 88 were open a ton, it seemed. Not sure if he is seeing the whole field (don't shoot the messenger, it's just an observation). He did make some nice throws and his mobility reminds me of Russell Wilson.

4. The Browns tried to block Jerry Hughes with a running back. :thumbdown: You would think they would have learned but noooo.

5. I think Ryan and Pettine must have decided to blitz each other's QBs the whole game, to see how the QBs would handle it and/or to be able to judge the 1:1 matchups that would result with the WQRs and DBs. Our WRs failed miserably with that. I had such high hopes for Mayle.

6. Your running backs, who I know were all just signed off the street, didn't have a clue in pass protection. So take some of the issues your QBs had with pressure with a grain of salt. I am sure your real RBs can pick up a blitz.

7. I am glad we do not play you in the regular season this year!

Who are you to waltz into our message board with your positive opinions of our team?

Thanks Cleveland...helps to have a first-hand account from someone that attended.

I actually thought about whether or not Cleveland would have any interest in EJ, since I think a trade is the only way he's not on this team come week 1.

Yeah, the RBs were a total smoke show out there...not good at all.

Bandit, there is NO WAY I'm trading Manuel if he continues to trend upwards. We've been looking for a "franchise" QB and if he's developing like we think, he's our QB for the next 10 years.

Thanks for posting. Us people from places like Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh have to stick together.

"Us" people?

There is no need to segregate and why would we have to stick together?

A very old fashioned saying, I bet I can guess your generation.

Imo

Bandit, there is NO WAY I'm trading Manuel if he continues to trend upwards. We've been looking for a "franchise" QB and if he's developing like we think, he's our QB for the next 10 years.

Also, there is no way Doug Whaley would sign off on trading an EJ Manuel who's trending upwards. Whaley's always said he had a big hand in the Manuel pick and if he hits on that, his stature as a GM skyrockets to the top given the rest of the pieces he's put in place.

Trading Manuel would be a move that could really blow up in their faces to the point where it is eventually seen on one of those "Top 10 Worst Trades in History" NFL Films shows if the Bills traded away the only franchise QB they've had since Jim Kelly 20 years ago. They would have to know almost 100% that Tyrod Taylor is a franchise QB for them to trade Manuel this year given how good he's looked in these past two preseason games.

Manuel looked like Rothslesberger last night. Big, strong, mobile and making clutch, game winning throws in the final minutes.

I'm pretty sure he meant blue collar people from rust belt cities...

That is exactly what I meant. I thought it was crystal clear to anyone with even a modicum of intelligence. There was NO reference to race, ethnicity, religion or anything other than Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. The last time I checked, all kinds of people live in each of those cities.

Some like to look down on place like Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh and people from there. My only point -- in responding to an OP from Cleveland -- was that it was nice that he stopped by and there is an affinity between and among people from cities such as these. Again, there was no reference to anything other than that.

To read anything else into my post would be complete BULLSH*T.

Hey Bills fans! I was at the game last night at First Energy (you all should have made the short trek from Buffalo, plenty of good seats were left!) I watched your team quite a bit. Thought I would share some thoughts.

1. Your #2 (3?) QB is better than our #1. Manuel > McCown all day. I wouldn't mind the Browns trying to swing a trade for him since you have two other QBs ahead of him. I've always thought he was pretty good, and would like to have another developmental QB besides Manziel. He is much further along and his arm is fantastic.

2. Your defense is crazy fast, and furious. Pettine had cautioned us last week that there was a steep drop-off from the #1 D to the second team D and to take that into account when watching Manziel, but I didn't see a big difference in the 2nd half other than the safeties.

3. Tyrod Taylor is also a step ahead of everyone in terms of his speed. I was kind of surprised by his size though. He looked smaller than I expected. Also, he is going to have a rough go of it in the film room today. A few times he had guys open and didn't see them or didn't want to throw it, not sure which. 85 and 88 were open a ton, it seemed. Not sure if he is seeing the whole field (don't shoot the messenger, it's just an observation). He did make some nice throws and his mobility reminds me of Russell Wilson.

4. The Browns tried to block Jerry Hughes with a running back. :thumbdown: You would think they would have learned but noooo.

5. I think Ryan and Pettine must have decided to blitz each other's QBs the whole game, to see how the QBs would handle it and/or to be able to judge the 1:1 matchups that would result with the WQRs and DBs. Our WRs failed miserably with that. I had such high hopes for Mayle.

6. Your running backs, who I know were all just signed off the street, didn't have a clue in pass protection. So take some of the issues your QBs had with pressure with a grain of salt. I am sure your real RBs can pick up a blitz.

7. I am glad we do not play you in the regular season this year!

hey. I made the trip down. i was very surprised how many people came and how into the game the browns fans were. Every fan had on team colors.

I have a few questions about your stadium. It took us 45 mins to get from the exit sign for the stadium on the 90 to the street(maybe 300 yards) leading up to the stadium and R&R HOF. Is traffic always that bad? Also my first time at the stadium so there are probably better ways that I don't know about. I love how the stadium looks and how it is downtown and on the water but the thru way and railroad tracks make it a hassle to get in.

Also, there is no way Doug Whaley would sign off on trading an EJ Manuel who's trending upwards. Whaley's always said he had a big hand in the Manuel pick and if he hits on that, his stature as a GM skyrockets to the top given the rest of the pieces he's put in place.

Trading Manuel would be a move that could really blow up in their faces to the point where it is eventually seen on one of those "Top 10 Worst Trades in History" NFL Films shows if the Bills traded away the only franchise QB they've had since Jim Kelly 20 years ago. They would have to know almost 100% that Tyrod Taylor is a franchise QB for them to trade Manuel this year given how good he's looked in these past two preseason games.

Manuel looked like Rothslesberger last night. Big, strong, mobile and making clutch, game winning throws in the final minutes.

It's a pity that when EJ is playing like what they wanted to see when they drafted him, we have a meathead for HC who judges QBs by 40 times.

No, you don't want to make that trade. McCown provides you a benefit that Manuel can't: veteran experience that can mentor Manziel. A Manuel and Manziel pairing would destroy both of them.

You expect "people" around here to understand context and nuance? That's a heavy lift...Imo

Please. It wasn't that nuanced. Leroi is just being an ass again.