After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

BustaTimes

After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

• Tyrod Taylor
    • EJ Manuel
    • Matt Cassell
    • Matt Simms
    • Someone else
    • It's too early to tell

He played in the first pre-season game. At that game we seen him throw around 6-8 passes and I believe he only had 1 in-completion, and had a sweet pass across the middle to Sammy that was called back for an offensive pass interference.

I think he was 7 of 8, 1 incomplete pass which hit Hogan between the numbers, in the chest. I was pulling for Hogan, but no really sure now.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look back at previous running QB's and a lot of the good ones did well until an injury hampered their mobility, and then they were forced to throw solely from the pocket...then they fail.

Russell Wilson is in a class all by himself atm, and nobody is even close to his level of pocket awareness, ability to scramble while making big plays. Plus, he is doing it with mostly nobody's on offense with his receiving corps, as the best WR from last year is Doug Baldwin ranked as the 42nd best WR. With a top 10 offense in both yards, points.

While we all love what we are seeing from the guy right now. To me its a long shot that Taylor will stay healthy enough to last the entire season. The Bills need a dominate pocket QB.

As far as Cassell goes. I can't stand that high percentage short passing game, as it reminds me of Edwards. Then, if a O line starter should get hurt on that statue of Matt will really resemble the Venus de Milo with no arms.

EJ needs to keep improving and show he can work with the first string offense.

Why my vote was "its to early to tell".

Jason Cole from Bleacher Report is reporting that Rex wants to start Tyrod but the rest of the coaching staff has concerns and want Cassel. Rex thinks Tyrod can be a big play threat but other coaches have concerns about taking care of the football. I would link it but as far as I know we still can't link Bleacher Report.

This is a very good post. I will add that I think TT has showed that he indeed makes good decisions. And if he is nearly as accurate with his short throws as Cassel, who is really only pretty good at it, then he should be the starter. So far, TT has shown to be accurate, and make good decisions. IMO he should be the starter (unless he plays with the ones next week and doesn't make good decisions).

I don't want to get carried away but in styles of play he does resemble Russell Wilson. They both have good arms, are accurate and throw nice balls. Wilson is most impressive because as a young player he exhibited maturity, athleticism, good judgment way beyond his experience level. With TT its been recognized by his teammates that he knows how to read defenses and he knows the roles of all the players on the offense. In other words he has a good grasp of the mental side of the game.

My main concern with TT is his tendency to take off. He has good instincts in running away from pressure but I would prefer that he would run less down the field for self-preservation reasons. If he can master the art of going down and not taking the hit when he runs a la Wilson then I would be less concerned with the durability issue.

When I watched TT last night I witnessed some ability that I haven't seen in a long time from a Buffalo qb. Cassel has a placid game while Taylor has some sparkle to his game. Am I being too wishful? Probably so, but maybe not??????

I don't want to get carried away but in styles of play he does resemble Russell Wilson. They both have good arms, are accurate and throw nice balls. Wilson is most impressive because as a young player he exhibited maturity, athleticism, good judgment way beyond his experience level. With TT its been recognized by his teammates that he knows how to read defenses and he knows the roles of all the players on the offense. In other words he has a good grasp of the mental side of the game.

My main concern with TT is his tendency to take off. He has good instincts in running away from pressure but I would prefer that he would run less down the field for self-preservation reasons. If he can master the art of going down and not taking the hit when he runs a la Wilson then I would be less concerned with the durability issue.

When I watched TT last night I witnessed some ability that I haven't seen in a long time from a Buffalo qb. Cassel has a placid game while Taylor has some sparkle to his game. Am I being too wishful? Probably so, but maybe not??????

That's exactly as I see it, only I see TT as Russell Wilson (very lite). I think Wilson is a great player and better than most here think he is. So any comparisons to him as far as my opinion go have to be seen through that prism. I'd be thrilled if TT was Wilson Very Lite because he would be good enough to win. And if he steps up his game to be Wilson Lite instead of Wilson Very Lite, we could have something.

I don't know if I would say be is "Wilson light/very light". I think his style and potential would be that he could resemble Wilson compared to other starters in the league. It sounds like the 2 QBs are comparable, except that Taylor hasnt had the chance to show what he has yet on the field and he could become a playear similar to wilson

I don't know if I would say be is "Wilson light/very light". I think his style and potential would be that he could resemble Wilson compared to other starters in the league. It sounds like the 2 QBs are comparable, except that Taylor hasnt had the chance to show what he has yet on the field and he could become a playear similar to wilson

Wilson put up one of the greatest seasons passing in the history of college football. He immediately became a starting QB and took his team to the Super Bowl and should have won two. He's already the top 6th best rated passer in the playoffs. Contrary to popular (foolish) belief, the more he passes his rating goes up not down. Taylor wasn't the greatest passer in college and has never really started a game. His two good games for the Bills combined is 100 yards.

They are smallish and shifty and very good runners. You can't compare them as passers until Taylor actually does it at any time.

Well it's clear that EJ is out of the running, anyone that says otherwise is fooling themselves. It's between Matt and Tyrod, both have looked good in their limited play. Matt should start the Steelers game and get a good first half of work, and Tyrod the second half. After that game the coaches will know who's going to start. If I were a betting man I'd say they wanted Matt to start since he's a vet and the safe choice to manage the ball, but it appears Tyrod is making the decision difficult. If the season started today I'd go with Matt (the safe choice) and have him control the game, but we have 2 weeks left and tyrod sure is making some plays... Lets see what kind of scoring drives Matt can manufacture next week before we start writing either of them off.. IMO..

That's exactly as I see it, only I see TT as Russell Wilson (very lite). I think Wilson is a great player and better than most here think he is. So any comparisons to him as far as my opinion go have to be seen through that prism. I'd be thrilled if TT was Wilson Very Lite because he would be good enough to win. And if he steps up his game to be Wilson Lite instead of Wilson Very Lite, we could have something.

There is no doubt that Cassel is better at getting the ball out more quickly. But his arm strength is so limited that the DBs and LBs are going to tightly press our receivers right off the line of scrimmage, with little fear of the deep throw. That's not going to happen with TT because he has a strong enough arm to be a threat on the intermediate and deep routes. Not only will that create more space for the receivers but it will aslo open up more space for the backfield on runs and passes.

We have a good receiver corps with Watkins, Woods, Clay, Harvin and including McCoy. Having a qb who can use all the field and throw with velocity would create a lot of options for our offense.

From everything I have heard about Cassel he is a terrific teammate and would be a good mentor for TT. If TT earns the starting position then he will have good sincere support from the backup.

Edited by JohnC

Well it's clear that EJ is out of the running, anyone that says otherwise is fooling themselves. It's between Matt and Tyrod, both have looked good in their limited play. Matt should start the Steelers game and get a good first half of work, and Tyrod the second half. After that game the coaches will know who's going to start. If I were a betting man I'd say they wanted Matt to start since he's a vet and the safe choice to manage the ball, but it appears Tyrod is making the decision difficult. If the season started today I'd go with Matt (the safe choice) and have him control the game, but we have 2 weeks left and tyrod sure is making some plays... Lets see what kind of scoring drives Matt can manufacture next week before we start writing either of them off.. IMO..

Matt Simms starting and getting the whole first half? That might be a bit of a stretch. Oh wait, maybe you meant the other Matt.

Jason Cole from Bleacher Report is reporting that Rex wants to start Tyrod but the rest of the coaching staff has concerns and want Cassel. Rex thinks Tyrod can be a big play threat but other coaches have concerns about taking care of the football. I would link it but as far as I know we still can't link Bleacher Report.

Link: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-quarterback-tyrod-taylor-matt-cassel-starter-082115

There is no doubt that Cassel is better at getting the ball out more quickly. But his arm strength is so limited that the DBs and LBs are going to tightly press our receivers right off the line of scrimmage, with little fear of the deep throw. That's not going to happen with TT because he has a strong enough arm to be a threat on the intermediate and deep routes. Not only will that create more space for the receivers but it will aslo open up more space for the backfield on runs and passes.

We have a good receiver corps with Watkins, Woods, Clay, Harvin and including McCoy. Having a qb who can use all the field and throw with velocity would create a lot of options for our offense.

From everything I have heard about Cassel he is a terrific teammate and would be a good mentor for TT. If TT earns the starting position then he will have good sincere support from the backup.

Yep. Agree with all of that.

We already tried the safe quarterback who "isn't going to win you many games but won't lose you many either" approach, and I for one am tired of it. I have zero desire to see Matt Cassel start. He should be on the bench for leadership and mentoring, but really should have never even been in the starting QB discussion.

TT brings energy and a spark, and with this team, I think we could win as many as 12 games with him as our starting QB. The problem is I think if he is good, it lasts for two years or so, maybe three. I just do not see a sustained career there, and then we're back in QB purgatory.

I think it is apparent EJ's confidence is on the rise. He has the size and arm strength to be a starting NFL QB, and he has done nothing in game situations this year but prove he's fixed at least some of his accuracy issues. This is a first round pick, who now has proper coaching, and continues to mature and develop. If we are looking for a franchise QB, we can can count on for the next 8 or 10 years... I think EJ is our guy. It is foolish if he is not our starting QB.

Let's see where the fanbase stands after that.

I am conflicted.

If you are conflicted, then you had the same opinion as I do: it's too early too tell but there's no question he moves the ball like no other and actually scores TD's but so has EJ. Matt has not embarrassed himself tho and I believe we keep all three in the end.

Im with Tyrod by a long shot.

Lots of people are saying EJ can make all the throws and has the best arm etc. I just dont see it. He looked great in the pocket last night but his accuracy is still terrible.

Give some examples of the terrible accuracy you've seen this preseason. Thanks.