• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1- cassel

#2- tyrod

#3- EJ

P.S. - simms

Highly likely scenario.

Coffee with the Coach Presented by Tim Horton's (2:49)

Sounds like it will be three QBs on the final 53 and that should include EJ. Simms has PS eligibility so I can easily see him winding up there.

At this point I would have a concern about letting EJ go. I could see the Pats picking him up to pick his brain for week 2. It would be just another classless move by a classless organization.

Do you mean like picking up the LB/ DE that broke an opposing teams qb's jaw? Yeah, totally classless....

I think they hold on to Manuel because all his money is guaranteed anyway, TT as a running QB has a higher than normal chance of getting hurt, and maybe, just maybe, a team will get hit with injuries and offer something in trade for him.

I think they hold onto him because Lee and Roman want to see what they can do with him given a year to work with him and because he has a great attitude that positively impacts the team. Just my two cents. Edited by VanCity

I think they hold onto him because Lee and Roman want to see what they can do with him given a year to work with him and because he has a great attitude that positively impacts the team. Just my two cents.

Also a good point and ties into the guaranteed money. It costs them nothing but a roster spot to find out.

EJ will be 3rd string, and I bet he sees some regular season action this year.

Somebody has to hand the ball off in the 4th quarter during all of those blowouts.

I agree about him seeing some action. I don't like the idea of keeping all three, it just extends the competition into the season. the QB1 will be on 1-2 week audition and the fans will constantly want the other guy in. What's the saying? The most popular guy on the team is the backup QB? In our case it will be the 2nd AND 3rd string. Week 3: GIVE EJ A SHOT! GIVE TYROD A CHANCE! GET CASSEL IN THERE, HE'S STEADY!

I agree about him seeing some action. I don't like the idea of keeping all three, it just extends the competition into the season. the QB1 will be on 1-2 week audition and the fans will constantly want the other guy in. What's the saying? The most popular guy on the team is the backup QB? In our case it will be the 2nd AND 3rd string. Week 3: GIVE EJ A SHOT! GIVE TYROD A CHANCE! GET CASSEL IN THERE, HE'S STEADY!

Extremely valid point. I'd have to believe that they'd control that internally, but with this group I'd have to say that having a back-up plan is a necessity.

I don't think this is a smokescreen.

What would be wrong with having an exciting starter with playmaking ability (Taylor), a veteran backup (Cassel), and a developmental QB (Manuel)? I understand EJ's pedigree as a 1st round pick, but the truth is that he is better right now than he was at this point in 2013 or 2014. He IS coming along, albeit slowly. In the meantime, Whaley has done his job and improved the position.

I believe Taylor should start, but I don't understand the rush to judgment around this kid when it isn't necessary. Why do we have to "close the book" on EJ? He is 25, the money is controlled, he made the best throw of the night last week, he keeps his mouth shut, both the QBs in front of him are in danger of getting hurt, and I'm not ready to give up on him. I know that Rex isn't emotionally invested in him and Whaley might like to connect the pick to Buddy, but I don't think that means they need to show him the door.

Ultimately, the Bills are in an interesting situation, where they might have three of the top 45 QBs in the league right now, but none of the top 20 or 25.

Two names the Bills should keep in mind when considering whether or not to let EJ Manuel go…

Ryan Lindley, TJ Yates

There are about a thousand offensive snaps in an NFL regular season. To those who think that the running QB Taylor and the stationary Cassel will be enough for the Bills to carry, just look at what’s happened to the Bills running back position without a real game even being played yet. The Bills would be very foolish letting EJ go because as of right now he has played well enough in simulated games to be on the team in case of an emergency. There is also the chance that the light will during the season go on because he is still developing, albeit very slowly. I will go off on this team if they cut EJ and they are starting duds like Lindley or Yates in an important game in December or a playoff game in January.

Edited by 1billsfan

I can't imagine us going into the season not having 3 QBs on the roster. If they cut EJ and started Taylor, it is very likely at some point TT would get dinged up, especially given his style. That could very quickly put us down to just Cassel as a healthy QB with no one we can count on behind him. Simms, or some hastily hired FA QB scares the crap out of me, much much worse than EJ.

Keeping EJ is good insurance, and might yield significant value if he continues to develop.