Bills training camp practice 8/10

YoloinOhio

I wouldn't say "all."

It sounds like hesitancy/Trentativeness have not been an issue.

from the sound of Astro report it was back today Edited by GG

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from the sound of Astro report it was back today

From what I saw being there, I have to agree. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I only saw it when he was running with the 3rd string O vs the 1st string D but it was noticeable.

I believe this was around the time that astro said he would have taken 4 straight sacks. The oline lasted about 1 second on protection if at all (saw hughes blitz the edge twice untouched and would have had a sack within 3 seconds).

from the sound of Astro report it was back today

I assume you're referring to this:

"EJ----8 for 12, 1 too long, 2 too high. Trying too hard. Waiting too long, not making reads fast enough. At one point likely sacked on 4 successive plays."

But the reports said he was working with 2nd/3rd team and the O-line was getting dominated. So, I'm keeping that in mind.

75% completions...

like Orton was?like Meh may be?

Can we stop with the childish reference of "meh"? Please?

I know you are in EJ's camp, but to me and to many others, he just doesn't pass the eye test and if he hasn't started to shine consistently in practice, ever, I wouldn't anticipate it to happen anytime soon.

I know you are in EJ's camp, but to me and to many others, he just doesn't pass the eye test and if he hasn't started to shine consistently in practice, ever, I wouldn't anticipate it to happen anytime soon.

meh is just an easy way of not remembering how to spell cassel correctly.

And for perspective sake, shouldn't he be running away with this QB competition since he's the vet? Hence the "meh"

Eye test alert! So the fact he was the best qb in the scrimmage doesn't matter? It's all about practices on Mondays!

Eye test alert! So the fact he was the best qb in the scrimmage doesn't matter? It's all about practices on Mondays!

Absolutely! All good days and plays by EJ will be ignored. All bad days and plays by EJ will be harped upon as proof positive that he sucks and always will! EOS!

And for perspective sake, shouldn't he be running away with this QB competition since he's the vet? Hence the "meh"

He's been just as inconsistent as any other QB on our roster.

But that eye test, though...

He's been just as inconsistent as any other QB on our roster.

But that eye test, though...

Like I said earlier, Cassel did have a very good day (FWIW, it was primarily against 2nd/3rd team D). I can't knock him for having a good day with the 1st string offense though. They were in sync when it came to execution.

Edited by The Wiz

No, you are right. The scrimmage did matter. I was in attendance and thought he made some nice throws. However, he often follows up those nice throws with a head scratcher. The truly good and or franchise guys don't do that. That is what I meant by "eye test".

I once was high on EJ too, especially after that comeback at home vs the Panthers. Since then he just hasn't looked the part. I wish he did!

And people that talk on bluetooth headsets during a movie(with the little flashing blue light).

Old School is an egg you're never gonna crack. He's made his decision on EJ and you should leave it at that.

Let me ask you this, honest question, not trying to start a whole thing here:

What do you think the percent chances are that Manuel is still in the league as long as Orton was and Cassel still is? What do you think are the percent chances that Manuel ever has a season as good as Cassel's two best seasons? Or hell, as good as Orton's season last year?

I just find it amusing that so many of you constantly mock one Buffalo Bills QB, who's actually won QB competitions, lasted whole seasons as a starter, made a pro bowl and taken a team to the playoffs, but are so defensive about another Buffalo Bills QB who aint done s**t.

And I understand the "well with Matt Cassel, we know what we're getting: a below average starting NFL QB but with Manuel, there is that unknown factor" argument. But again, I'd like to see EJ Manuel prove that he is capable of even being a below average starting QB in this league before we constantly mock the other guy so haphazardly around here. I mean, if Manuel loses this job, never gets a chance to be a full-time starter again and goes the way of Losman and Edwards, which I hope you realize is a very distinct possibility, then if Cassel is "meh," what will that make Manuel?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Cassel should be running away with it, but he is not. I don't have a horse in this race - so it would. be great if someone ran away with it soon. Hope to see some separation beginning Friday.

Absolutely! All good days and plays by EJ will be ignored. All bad days and plays by EJ will be harped upon as proof positive that he sucks and always will! EOS!

That's simply not true. Why do people paint him as some sort of victim? If he is the best QB, he will start. If plays well, he'll keep playing. By and large, he hasn't played well. That's it. No one has a personal grudge against the guy.

That's simply not true. Why do people paint him as some sort of victim? If he is the best QB, he will start. If plays well, he'll keep playing. By and large, he hasn't played well. That's it.

I'd agree with this. For us poor souls who have not dedicated our posting to exclusively praising or bashing EJ, this conversation is insufferable. The EJ defenders/praisers/whathaveyou are every bit as bad as those who constantly bash him.

What do you think the percent chances are that Manuel is still in the league as long as Orton was and Cassel still is? What do you think are the percent chances that Manuel ever has a season as good as Cassel's two best seasons? Or hell, as good as Orton's season last year?

10% hes in as long as either

5% hes as good as Cassel's best (by which I assume you mean make a pro bowl)

70% hes better than Orton last year

One of these questions is more important than the other two.

Edited by YattaOkasan

I just find it amusing that so many of you constantly mock one Buffalo Bills QB, who's actually won QB competitions, lasted whole seasons as a starter, made a pro bowl and taken a team to the playoffs, but are so defensive about another Buffalo Bills QB who aint done s**t.

And I understand the "well with Matt Cassel, we know what we're getting: a below average starting NFL QB but with Manuel, there is that unknown factor" argument. But again, I'd like to see EJ Manuel prove that he is capable of even being a below average starting QB in this league before we constantly mock the other guy so haphazardly around here. I mean, if Manuel loses this job, never gets a chance to be a full-time starter again and goes the way of Losman and Edwards, which I hope you realize is a very distinct possibility, then if Cassel is "meh," what will that make Manuel?

I'll answer in sequence.

1a) Considering how long JP and Trent stayed in the league, about 70%.

1b) Right now, probably close to 15-20% chance

2) We aren't defensive about EJ (just about Joe B.). I actually said Cassel had the best practice today early (it was against the 2/3 team but he was consistent and crisp with passes)

3) It makes Manuel a QB that has all the tools to be a franchise QB but could never put them together. Consistency is key. If he is hot and cold and Cassel/TT is luke warm, I'll take luke warm. We have enough gamebreakers on both sides of the ball that someone who can at least be consistent at QB will get us to the playoffs.

And yes, I am in the EJ camp, but I'm still unbiased about the competition.

That's simply not true. Why do people paint him as some sort of victim? If he is the best QB, he will start. If plays well, he'll keep playing. By and large, he hasn't played well. That's it. No one has a personal grudge against the guy.

Okay that was primarily an exaggeration to make a point. I would say that by and large he's been inconsistent as in a mixture of both good and bad. By all fair reporting, he was trending upward in Thursday and Friday Practices with him being the best of the QBs in Saturday's scrimmage.

I'll answer in sequence.

1a) Considering how long JP and Trent stayed in the league, about 70%.

1b) Right now, probably close to 15-20% chance

2) We aren't defensive about EJ (just about Joe B.). I actually said Cassel had the best practice today early (it was against the 2/3 team but he was consistent and crisp with passes)

3) It makes Manuel a QB that has all the tools to be a franchise QB but could never put them together. Consistency is key. If he is hot and cold and Cassel/TT is luke warm, I'll take luke warm. We have enough gamebreakers on both sides of the ball that someone who can at least be consistent at QB will get us to the playoffs.

And yes, I am in the EJ camp, but I'm still unbiased about the competition.

10% hes in as long as either

5% hes as good as Cassel's best (by which I assume you mean make a pro bowl)

70% hes better than Orton last year

One of these questions is more important than the other two.

Well he's going to have to win a job before he's ever going to have a season as good as Orton did last year. And I don't think Orton had a good season last year- to me, he was a disappointment. But look at his numbers. Extrapolate them over 16 games (4,000+ yards and 24 TD's) and I'd be surprised if Manuel ever has a season that good in this league. And that's my issue. The EJ guys love to take cheap shots at Orton, Cassel, even Tannehill (which is utterly preposterous). Let's see Manuel sniff what any of those three guys have ever accomplished in this league and then you can make fun of them again.

Edited by metzelaars_lives