Bills training camp practice 8/10

YoloinOhio

My apologies. It happened in the shoutbox. EJs bad game last year was still much better than Cassel vs the Pats*. In 2.5 games Cassel went for 3 tds, 4ints, and 4 fumbles. In 4 games EJ went for 5 tds, 3 ints, and 1 fumble. Again Cassel made more mistakes in less playing time.

Cassel looks even worse if you go back to the start of 2013. He played in 12 games and EJ played in 14 (including obviously this being his rookie year) during this time frame. In 2013 EJ went 11tds : 9 ints, in 2013 in 10 games. His 9th year in the league, Cassel went 11tds : 9ints in 9 games. So identical stats for a 9th year player and a rookie. Who do we want leading this team?

First I will point you to KOK's link. That was clearly a blown call. A first there and maybe the drive continues. Maybe EJ leads them to a td. Crazy that his career could end on a blown clear call.

Now I will address your post. Yes there certainly will be at least one game where the Bills end up with a line like that. It happens every year. If a team jumps out on the Bills then they will be forced to pass. For your second question, how about Cassel and EJ having the same stats in 2013. You know when EJ was a rookie and Cassel had the benefit of Peterson (who is better than Shady) as well as being in his 9th year. I see Minny's boxscore and say yes every team would love to win 34-6. Even in that game though Cassel had 2 fumbles. He is not this calming veteran presence that takes care of the ball that people claim him to be.

Funny though that if EJ doesn't get the nod, it will be the second NFL coaching staff that doesn't feel that he has the tools to be an effective NFL QB, but 2 NFL teams traded for Cassel, despite mediocre numbers. And to refresh your memory, Cassel was Bills' distant veteran choice as QB this year, after striking out with McCown & unable to meet Rams' price for Bradford. So while you all stick with the statistics, the coaches clearly have a lot of reservations to trust this stacked roster to EJ.

And why do people keep forgetting that it was a near WR revolt that pushed Marrone to bench EJ. He fully supported EJ after the game and only made the decision after watching film. It wasn't the INT that got him benched, it was his lack of command of the offense. It was a major point of Orton's elevation and how he took control of the offense.

So far, we haven't heard much from players raving about EJ's huddle or clubhouse presence. But there have been a few tidbits about Cassel taking greater charge.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sal Maiorana @salmaiorana

One thing I'm tired of hearing from NFL players - "the main thing is to have fun." For amateurs, yes. In the NFL, winning is main thing

Sal Maiorana @salmaiorana

EJ Manuel said that last night. I'm glad he had fun, meanwhile, the fans were aggravated he and the other QBs and the entire offense stunk

Meanwhile, Aaron Williams on Rex:

"He’s fun. He’s the best. You would never expect a head coach to be like that" Williams said. "He’s very loose but at the same time he’s serious and wants things to be done in a certain way. But he never makes a meeting a serious one. He’s always joking around. He wants us to have fun. He feels like if we’re not having fun, we’re not going to play a certain way or to a type of level he wants."

- from Rex Ryan a big hit with Bills defense, WGR

I wonder if Sal will take it up with Rex, or if it's just his ongoing thing for EJ?

The whole point of EJ's "having fun" comment is that he wasn't over-thinking things. He was letting it rip, like he promised to do after he got benched.

This goes to show that no matter what they do, some players will just always be over-criticized by the media.

Funny though that if EJ doesn't get the nod, it will be the second NFL coaching staff that doesn't feel that he has the tools to be an effective NFL QB, but 2 NFL teams traded for Cassel, despite mediocre numbers. And to refresh your memory, Cassel was Bills' distant veteran choice as QB this year, after striking out with McCown & unable to meet Rams' price for Bradford. So while you all stick with the statistics, the coaches clearly have a lot of reservations to trust this stacked roster to EJ.

And why do people keep forgetting that it was a near WR revolt that pushed Marrone to bench EJ. He fully supported EJ after the game and only made the decision after watching film. It wasn't the INT that got him benched, it was his lack of command of the offense. It was a major point of Orton's elevation and how he took control of the offense.

So far, we haven't heard much from players raving about EJ's huddle or clubhouse presence. But there have been a few tidbits about Cassel taking greater charge.

Dude, who cares? Welcome to 2015. Move on.

But there have been a few tidbits about Cassel taking greater charge.

Link?

That's something I've been wanting to hear. Who has better command of the offense?/Who's showing good leadership?

I don't think I've seen anything in that regard.

Nobody's raving about EJ but there are tidbits on Cassel and that is good enough. How about this tidbit then:

FJax on Manuel: "I think he's going to be the guy that we need to be, it's just about keeping him healthy and getting him more reps,""He's got enough foundation now that he can build off of. ... I think he'll definitely be that guys who can get us over the hump and to the next level."

A second coaching staff hasn't turned the page on EJ yet. If it happens I'll eat crow. If it is Cassel that starts I will be sad bc just like Orton we know what he is and it isn't very good. You say that 2 teams have traded for Cassel that also means 2 teams have been willing to part with Cassel. Teams don't part with competent qbs. Especially for a 5th and a 7th rounder.

Link?

That's something I've been wanting to hear. Who has better command of the offense?/Who's showing good leadership?

I don't think I've seen anything in that regard.

Tyler Dunne's speculation last week.

Dude, who cares? Welcome to 2015. Move on.

And how is the story different this year?

A second coaching staff hasn't turned the page on EJ yet. If it happens I'll eat crow. If it is Cassel that starts I will be sad bc just like Orton we know what he is and it isn't very good. You say that 2 teams have traded for Cassel that also means 2 teams have been willing to part with Cassel. Teams don't part with competent qbs. Especially for a 5th and a 7th rounder.

So what does that say about the coaches' faith in EJ?

the complaining and whining about the poor reporting is getting almost as annoying as the poor reporting. As is my whining about everyone else's whining. We get it, he sucks. That's why I don't click anymore. You should try it.

i don't click on his links, or follow him on Twitter. His tweets are posted here. No clicking involved. Edited by YoloinOhio

I've decided hell consists of endless debates on EJ Manuel.

And people that talk on bluetooth headsets during a movie(with the little flashing blue light).

what if youre wrong?

like Orton was?

like Meh may be?

Old School is an egg you're never gonna crack. He's made his decision on EJ and you should leave it at that.

Edited by The Wiz

Because he might win the starting job again. Or is he eliminated because he had a shaky practice?

He may still win it, but all previous concerns are still there. The Friday game will be another big test.

I've decided hell consists of endless debates on EJ Manuel.

If there was a god, he'd surely put an end to this.

He may still win it, but all previous concerns are still there. The Friday game will be another big test.

I wouldn't say "all."

It sounds like hesitancy/Trentativeness have not been an issue.