Patriots Fumble Rates since 2007 rule change

somnus00

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY INTERESTING! I had totally forgotten that it was Brady (and few others) that were lobbying for that change in policy on who provides the footballs.

I believe that when all is said and done, Roger is going to be forced to punish the Patriots harshly. IMO, they will never save their tarnished image by pinning De-flate Gate on a poor minion and think the public out-cry would not cause irreparable damage. Particularly, with multi-billion dollar sponsors reputations also at stake.

I'm actually hoping that NE wins, so Roger has to stand on that stage next Sunday night and hand that trophy to Belicheat and Tom "soft balls" Brady knowing damn well they should never have been there representing the AFC to begin with., and if he (Roger) had done his due diligence during Spy-Gate the Patriots would not likely relevant anyway.

Edited by JTown

Does this prove without a shadow of a doubt they've been deflating balls since 2007? No. But it sure as hell looks extremely suspicious that they just so happen to start having a drastic reduction in fumbles the same year that a rule that Brady pushed for gets passed. A rule that allows them to prep their own balls, which would allow them to purposely deflate balls which is what they're now being accused of doing.

The timing matches up perfectly. Brady being one of the main proponents of the rule change matches up perfectly. Suspiciously low fumble numbers and suspiciously high cold weather passing numbers match up perfectly. The accusations by the NFL right now matches up with all that. The science matches up with disproving the explanation given by Bellichick. You have to be looking pretty hard for a reason to find the Patriots innocent to not come to the conclusion that it's very likely they cheated.

Even the homers in the Boston media are reporting it now.

The data is so skewed it defies any rational explanation. And it certainly lends creedance to the theory that once Bellichek and the Pats were caught cheating in SPygate they simply found new rules to flout.

It'd be fascinating to track down all the Pats ballboys since Brady convinced the league to change the rule and see if any of them can corroborate it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/01/25/patriots-fumble-nearly-impossible-rate/LCgrlUR9qgxDsIgcal9dUI/story.html

has anyone looked at their fumble rate when receiving punts/kicks? presumably those balls are inflated to the max.

if their fumble rate was the same as other teams when receiving punts/kicks, but much less on plays from scrimmage, that would be pretty damning.

Even the homers in the Boston media are reporting it now.

The data is so skewed it defies any rational explanation. And it certainly lends creedance to the theory that once Bellichek and the Pats were caught cheating in SPygate they simply found new rules to flout.

It'd be fascinating to track down all the Pats ballboys since Brady convinced the league to change the rule and see if any of them can corroborate it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/01/25/patriots-fumble-nearly-impossible-rate/LCgrlUR9qgxDsIgcal9dUI/story.html

ugh.... there have been several rational explanations that could tighten up the numbers, in atleast a dozen threads now..... its an interesting stat, but hardly factual proof

ugh.... there have been several rational explanations that could tighten up the numbers, in atleast a dozen threads now..... its an interesting stat, but hardly factual proof

I thought the best of those arguments was the low sack numbers argument.....which I debunked in another thread:

I think that the "Patriots don't get sacked much" devil's advocate argument for the reason that they have an extremely low fumble percentage is fair.....so I thought I would crunch some numbers and see what happens....

Below are Tom Brady's and Matt Cassel's numbers through their careers.

I have decided to use the combined sack and rush numbers as those were the plays where the QB theoretically has to hold onto the ball.

Source:

NFL.com player stats Cassel(http://www.nfl.com/p...562/careerstats)

NFL.com player stats Brady(http://www.nfl.com/p...211/careerstats)

Matt Cassel fumble rates with Patriots(2007+2008):

124 plays

8 fumbles (1 in 15.5)

4 fumbles lost (1 in 31)

Matt Cassel fumble rates pre-2007 with Patriots and post Patriots(2009+)

305 plays

40 fumbles (1 in 7.6)

15 fumbles lost (1 in 20.3)

Tom Brady fumble rates 2007+

413 plays

36 fumbles (1 in 11.5)

15 fumbles lost (1 in 27.5)

Tom Brady fumble rate pre-2007

421 plays

59 fumbles (1 in 7.1)

25 fumbles lost (1 in 16.9)

It looks like there is a clear reduction in the fumble rate for the Patriots QBs after the 2006 season.

Tighten up but still not put the Patriots in the average. It's not a court of law and we'll never get factual proof out of anything with any statistic football tracks.