Dan Carpenter injury (update - put on notice)

Wha??? I wake up this morning and see this. Jeezus H Christ - Carpenter is an awesome kicker. What the hell is going on?

Whats going on is he is 3/6 in the preseason on FG's, missed an XP, and had a rough camp. He looks like the guy Miami cut, not the one the Bills picked up thats hit 91% of his FG's since being a Bill.

I would hope that its a result of his hamstring injury and he's still kicking his way back into form...but a new coach won't have a lot patience for a guy who is missing kicks and an XP this late in preseason.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This debate is ironic. The same arguments used for cutting Fred are being turned around to keep Carp. Bottom line is that if Carp isn't producing, he's gone.

You're right, except for the small detail that we have 6 other RBs on our roster and 0 other FG kickers, the arguments are identical.

Whats going on is he is 3/6 in the preseason on FG's, missed an XP, and had a rough camp. He looks like the guy Miami cut, not the one the Bills picked up thats hit 91% of his FG's since being a Bill.

I would hope that its a result of his hamstring injury and he's still kicking his way back into form...but a new coach won't have a lot patience for a guy who is missing kicks and an XP this late in preseason.

Yep, especially since Carpenter doesn't kick off so he effectively takes up two roster spots. Player's coach facing tough cuts no likey, even if Carpenter has been "money" (which he's not)

I suppose you could cut Gay, sign another kicker, maybe not a great kicker as not likely to find one at this point. Let him kickoff and field goals for a couple weeks, Keep Carp on the roster and give him a couple of weeks to rest up and heal the leg, then see what he can do in practice. Might just be the leg hasn't healed yet and he needs time.

I'd hate to see him become the next Gary Anderson

I suppose you could cut Gay, sign another kicker, maybe not a great kicker as not likely to find one at this point. Let him kickoff and field goals for a couple weeks, Keep Carp on the roster and give him a couple of weeks to rest up and heal the leg, then see what he can do in practice. Might just be the leg hasn't healed yet and he needs time.

not a bad idea. Gay is really good at KO though.

This is not a bad idea if there's someone out there whose FG percentage is better than Gay's

The Bills have a reliable kicker. Finding a kicker as reliable or more reliable, is very unlikely.

I disagree.

Every year reliable kickers are cut and\or picked up at roster deadlines and throughout the season.

This is a position where there are much more than 32 Human Beings that are capable of reliably kicking a 40 yard FG.

Unlike a QB where there are maybe 18 Human beings that can be reliable NFL QBs.

Edited by 1B4IDie

@ChrisBrownBills
Is Dan Carpenter fixable in the short term? Hamstring for K no cakewalk repair.

Keyhole53

CB: Carpenter has been medically cleared to play so I don’t think it’s the physical nature of the injury that’s affecting him. Carpenter’s issue is his mechanics. The bottom line is he’s rusty from missing two and a half weeks of training camp with the injury. In my opinion he just has to get his rhythm back with his swing and he’ll be fine. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

I disagree.

Every year reliable kickers are cut and\or picked up at roster deadlines and throughout the season.

This is a position where there are much more than 32 Human Beings that are capable of reliably kicking a 40 yard FG.

Unlike a QB where there are maybe 18 Human beings that can be reliable NFL QBs.

I agree it it more difficult to fill than QB, but I wouldn't say there are more than 32 reliable kickers out there. Kickers have so much pressure and so much relies on them, I will refer you to our game against detroit last year. Detroit lost because their kicker had a bad day, and we won because Carpenter came through.

We can't let a guy like Carp go. Maybe place him on IR for the first half of the season and pick up a scrub in the meantime? Especially with the new XP rule, reliable kickers like Carpenter dont come along very often

I agree it it more difficult to fill than QB, but I wouldn't say there are more than 32 reliable kickers out there. Kickers have so much pressure and so much relies on them, I will refer you to our game against detroit last year. Detroit lost because their kicker had a bad day, and we won because Carpenter came through.

We can't let a guy like Carp go. Maybe place him on IR for the first half of the season and pick up a scrub in the meantime? Especially with the new XP rule, reliable kickers like Carpenter dont come along very often

You're kidding, right? Pick up a scrub for 8 weeks? How does that help the team?

I think Forbath or Shayne Graham (a little long in the tooth) are more than "scrubs."

I'm just saying we got options. If the guy can't kick in 10 days We need a guy that can.

Sitck with him. Let him work his way through this. He'll be allright. Now if he :censored: s up during the season, then yes. Send him on his merry way but for now, keep him. Don't expect to find an available upgrade among what's out there now.

Edited by BmarvB

@mikerodak: Rex on Dan Carpenter: I know the history but Im also not blind. Were in the win business. Whats important now?"

@viccarucci: Ryan: "Still concerned" about Dan Carpenter's FB misses. "To say I'm going to turn a blind eye to that, u can criticize me all u want."

@mikerodak: Rex on Dan Carpenter: I know the history but Im also not blind. Were in the win business. Whats important now?"

@viccarucci: Ryan: "Still concerned" about Dan Carpenter's FB misses. "To say I'm going to turn a blind eye to that, u can criticize me all u want."

Wow. Rex is doubling down. This is gettin' ugly for Carp.

Wow. Rex is doubling down. This is gettin' ugly for Carp.

as I mentioned it's possible there is more to the story. He missed a lot of camp with an injury he suffered away from football. How has he been preparing? What was his attitude? Maybe it was fine, maybe it wasn't. But Rex definitely does not have his back.

as I mentioned it's possible there is more to the story. He missed a lot of camp with an injury he suffered away from football. How has he been preparing? What was his attitude? Maybe it was fine, maybe it wasn't. But Rex definitely does not have his back.

Amen. This ain't the old Bills. The old Bills would stand behind Carp and wait out his slump. This new regime has shown that they will be ruthless in making tough calls. Busting a cap in Fred sent the message. No more Mr. Nice Guy at OBD.