Trapping Red Squirrels

These little bastards have become wise to the ol' peanut butter on a rat trap trick... Anyone have any other suggestions for bait or trapping methods? It's not often I seek advice for killing critters... Lol

For the record, the last squirrel I trapped was named Bill Brady. He had 127 siblings and 346 children, I lured him with the afore mentioned peanut butter from his safe haven in the pine trees... I'm no dentist, but....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BB gun works for me usually. I don't use a scope or nuffin. but you want to kill them.

But, there are a few ideas that work for trapping. I prefer the traps that baptize them.

also something like this:

both similar. you can build a ramp outside for them.

if you want to work out a set up a little bit better it depends on how many trees you have. Go get some flashing, 10" prefered. 50' or 100'. About $20 for the 50'. Wrap it around your tree and duct tape it. then take and cut slits from the top going half way down. Then remove that and do the same thing but cut from bottom up just above where you were. Then nail both sections to tree locking up for no gap, it'll be a 10" barrier with 5" the squirrel cannot get around.

Need to make sure you do that about 6' up. They will be able to get out of the trees, then not get back up. I left one tree unblocked and started baiting htem with bird seed, peanut butter, etc. for a week or two. Put it out in the evening and then morning. Then went back and put up final flashing. I didn't feed them that morning but went out earlier in day to feed them late. There were already at least 5-6 on the ground in the area.

Went to my little spot, took out about 16 that evening.

http://www.swordofsurvival.com/2011/01/catching-and-preparing-squirrel.htmlalso this, if you wanna cook'm after using a wire snare.

What do you have against squirrels? Is there a point? Or just senseless killing?

Yes- they are trespassing into my garage.... Do you have a problem with that??? They all had names, they were all lured out with bait and they all probably had children as well!!!

Pete.... No offense, but first impression is that you really seem like a kitty.... I hope I'm wrong- hahahaha

Yes- they are trespassing into my garage.... Do you have a problem with that??? They all had names, they were all lured out with bait and they all probably had children as well!!!Pete.... No offense, but first impression is that you really seem like a kitty.... I hope I'm wrong- hahahaha

he ain't a kitty.

I used chunky (organic) peanut butter in a Have-A-Hart trap. The little bastard was just too sharp for the rat traps, and I almost ended up taking my fingers out with those things anyway.

I found him in the trap when I came back up to the lake the following weekend, and he'd already starved to death. (The peanut butter was gone).

They are VERY destructive little bastards. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

We tried capturing a squirrel with a trap one using peanut butter but my wife was very surprised to find a very mad cardinal in trap, mad because he ate all the peanut butter! We still have squirrel issues for our bird feeders still; we changed to safflower seeds and worked for a while although it reduced number of other birds too. Now the squirrels adapted eating safflower seeds which they would not touch for 2 months so we put out the old mixed seed although the safflower only feeders have attracted some other birds we had not seen before.

We tried capturing a squirrel with a trap one using peanut butter but my wife was very surprised to find a very mad cardinal in trap, mad because he ate all the peanut butter! We still have squirrel issues for our bird feeders still; we changed to safflower seeds and worked for a while although it reduced number of other birds too. Now the squirrels adapted eating safflower seeds which they would not touch for 2 months so we put out the old mixed seed although the safflower only feeders have attracted some other birds we had not seen before.

Have you put a cone on the pole pile of your feeder? You should definitely try using rat traps and cheese or peanut butter... I have 7 traps out right now and have been hitting them pretty hard