46 Defense Implemented?

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/02/what-they-said-transcripts-of-rex-ryan-marcell-dareus-richie-incognito-from-day-three-of-training-camp/

Rex:

Today we installed a lot of 46 stuff, you know that type of defense, and when you do that a lot of mistakes usually happen on offense

Who here knows the 46? I know it, because I watched the 80s Bears run it every weekend when I was a kid. And, I've studied it since. (I can explain it if asked) It is absolutely devastating, but, it requires all 11 to be highly talented, and work together at a very high level. Otherwise, a decent QB can pick it apart rather easily.

It can be high risk, high reward. But, with elite personnel? It's mostly just high reward. Insane reward in fact.

A few weeks ago, I started a thread about the 1985 Bears, and compared their numbers to ours, "If we want to be the best of all time, we need to be on their level" etc. Being able to run the 46, seriously, and actually devoting any practice time to it? The most likely conclusion: Rex thinks this D is on that level. IF this isn't merely camp-camouflage, Rex actually thinks he has the horses to run the 46, we come out in a 46 formation against the Colts(forget preseason, because we won't show it much there), and are able to run it consistently?

We're going to be looking back and laughing about this entire QB thing by week 6.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/02/what-they-said-transcripts-of-rex-ryan-marcell-dareus-richie-incognito-from-day-three-of-training-camp/

Rex:

Who here knows the 46? I know it, because I watched the 80s Bears run it every weekend when I was a kid. And, I've studied it since. (I can explain it if asked) It is absolutely devastating, but, it requires all 11 to be highly talented, and work together at a very high level. Otherwise, a decent QB can pick it apart rather easily.

It can be high risk, high reward. But, with elite personnel? It's mostly just high reward. Insane reward in fact.

A few weeks ago, I started a thread about the 1985 Bears, and compared their numbers to ours, "If we want to be the best of all time, we need to be on their level" etc. Being able to run the 46, seriously, and actually devoting any practice time to it? The most likely conclusion: Rex thinks this D is on that level. IF this isn't merely camp-camouflage, Rex actually thinks he has the horses to run the 46, we come out in a 46 formation against the Colts(forget preseason, because we won't show it much there), and are able to run it consistently?

We're going to be looking back and laughing about this entire QB thing by week 6.

if your going to post all that, why not just post your analysis of the actual defense instead of telling people to ask?

if your going to post all that, why not just post your analysis of the actual defense instead of telling people to ask?

Because I'm not in the habit of telling people what they already know, and I hate it when people do that to me. And, your act is becoming tiresome.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Because I'm not in the habit of telling people what they already know, and I hate it when people do that to me. And, your act is becoming tiresome.

Forget all that. Who would be playing where? Would we need a nose? I never quite understood the 46 please share

it just seems common sense. If you are going to take the time to tell us what rex said in a press conference, and then mention expertise in the area, why would you not share with the board your expert breakdown on the scheme/our personnel? it seems thats the piece that would be the least commonly known among readers.

it just seems common sense. If you are going to take the time to tell us what rex said in a press conference, and then mention expertise in the area, why would you not share with the board your expert breakdown on the scheme/our personnel? it seems thats the piece that would be the least commonly known among readers.

He is probably trying to solicit other posters ideas on the defense rather then just influencing his with his own.

As I have found on the site....I have always felt i was pretty bright on x and o football....but I am always learning as well

Can you summarize what it does? If run effectively...

Also - do any other NFL teams run this?

There is a very good article to read if you have time: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-6-the-46-defense/?_r=0

To sum up, it's what Rex based a lot of his scheme on, as in a 4-3 hybrid. You have the personnel of a 3-4 line, where you have a nose tackle and 2 three technique players. Then, you have a DE on the weakside 5 tech and have the strong side and weakside linebackers lining up on the strong side while the Strong Safety comes into the box to act in place of the WLB.

I believe Rex was doing a modified version with Dareus shading at the 1 and Hughes playing 5 tech.

The end result is that you have incredible pressure to bring on the QB and very strong run D.

The reason you don't see it as much is that you need a pair of shutdown corners since you have only one safety back to help. West Coast offenses shred it, and you need to sub players for 3 and 4 wr packages.

He is probably trying to solicit other posters ideas on the defense rather then just influencing his with his own.

As I have found on the site....I have always felt i was pretty bright on x and o football....but I am always learning as well

It is guaranteed that this is not what he is doing.....

Rex:

+1. Always have been fascinated with the 46 scheme. I wonder if it's being used in camp to train the rushing offense because it's excellent against the run and if you can run against a 46 with the talent we have, the holes in the regular season will feel like a mile wide.

I'm just thinking, if this is something Rex would be trying to do frequently that would explain some of the comments we heard from Mario and Hughes in the offseason that seemed contradictory.

Mario said things were rather similar while Hughes said that things were different. In the 46 Mario's role would be identical while Hughes would be moving from the 7 or 9 technique to the 5.

I know it. If anyone wants I'll do a 10,000 word write up.

i knew you would be able to chime in. When you think about the scheme ... How would you use our personnel?

There is a very good article to read if you have time: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-6-the-46-defense/?_r=0

To sum up, it's what Rex based a lot of his scheme on, as in a 4-3 hybrid. You have the personnel of a 3-4 line, where you have a nose tackle and 2 three technique players. Then, you have a DE on the weakside 5 tech and have the strong side and weakside linebackers lining up on the strong side while the Strong Safety comes into the box to act in place of the WLB.

I believe Rex was doing a modified version with Dareus shading at the 1 and Hughes playing 5 tech.

The end result is that you have incredible pressure to bring on the QB and very strong run D.

The reason you don't see it as much is that you need a pair of shutdown corners since you have only one safety back to help. West Coast offenses shred it, and you need to sub players for 3 and 4 wr packages.

thanks!