I don't hate Sully like some others do, but ...

based on the assumption that they are living a life of rape and violence.

those are your words, and that was NOT what was written in the column. but now you're accusing him of being an alcoholic, based on...i don't know....messageboard rumors?

one hell of a glass house you live in...thanks for proving my point.

Edited by jester43

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those are your words, and that was NOT what was written in the column. but now you're accusing him of being an alcoholic, based on...i don't know....messageboard rumors?

one hell of a glass house you live in...thanks for proving my point.

The fact that he writes derogatory articles can not be argued.

His criticism of the NDA linked it to abuse of women, which, again, can not be argued.

I think that the man is in a dark place in his life, and if what other posters have said about him drinking on the job is true, then he is in a darker place than even his public persona lets on.

I do think his inflamatory articles have no place if they are going to criticize the character of young men on the team, if those men are apologetic for their transgressions--everyone is allowed to make mistakes in life, we are all human.

I don't live in a glass house, I'm not throwing stones--I'm commenting on the derision with which the man writes, and proposing that he gets help.

I don't know what point you've made that I've proved, but please don't use my words to imply that I am somehow validating your statements.

I am not.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Prior to today I'd read reports which made me think that McCoy was something of a twit. But this morning, for the first time, I heard him speak for himself in a press conference setting after the first practice. I was totally relieved to find out I was way wrong about him! He's edgy, yes, but interesting and downright charming.

Then I read Sullivan's article, which made the same interview sound very negative. According to Sullivan's report, there was nothing playful or positive like the words I'd heard with my own ears.

There's no reason to read Sullivan's misleading diatribes any more.

Edited by Blue on Blue

My take on McCoy is that he came into the NFL with something to prove and he was a good runner between the tackles initially but as he became Shady the celebrity.....and got a bunch of mileage on him.....he doesn't have that anymore.

Chip Kellys' offense along with some really good run blockers created a lot of space and big gains for McCoy in the past couple years and when you consider that then his declining numbers are a concern.

Due to the evolution of the game a lot of the guys who once would have been running backs are now playing defense so teams don't have the quality and depth they once had at the RB position so it's understandable that they want a legit proven RB......but he is more hype than game at this point IMO.

I suppose it would be nice to see him come into camp like a man with something to prove coming off a down year and being traded rather than someone taking a victory lap.

That is going to irk detractors who aren't sold on him and Sully is a hater for hate sake sometimes. That's his job to stir emotions.

That isn't the general fanbase take on Shady but neither was it when they acquired Drew Bledsoe or Terrell Owens.

I personally think it was a bad trade and I obviously hope he proves me wrong and is that same tough, hungry player he was 5-6 years ago but I don't expect that based on recent performance.

Many years ago, I watched a running back - now mostly forgotten - named Willie Ellison rush for nearly 250 yards at nearly 10 yards per carry. It was the pro record at the time - breaking the mark set by our own Cookie Gilchrist. Later broken by our own Orenthal James Simpson.

Why has Willie been forgotten? Because he wasn't all that good. That record-setting day, he was running through holes large enough for a dump truck to drive through.

The point is that offensive lines matter.

Last year, Shady ran behind an injured, inferior line. I don't see any evidence Shady's skills are in decline.

Many years ago, I watched a running back - now mostly forgotten - named Willie Ellison rush for nearly 250 yards at nearly 10 yards per carry. It was the pro record at the time - breaking the mark set by our own Cookie Gilchrist. Later broken by our own Orenthal James Simpson.

Why has Willie been forgotten? Because he wasn't all that good. That record-setting day, he was running through holes large enough for a dump truck to drive through.

The point is that offensive lines matter.

Last year, Shady ran behind an injured, inferior line. I don't see any evidence Shady's skills are in decline.

But he was only the 3rd best running back in the league last year. He must be in decline because he was #1 the year before! That is a decline of 2 whole spots! He's got maybe half a year left on him. :lol::rolleyes:

And whats his hard on with the Pegula's... look at this gem he tweeted today:

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully 5h5 hours ago

No surprise that Pegula wouldn't be worried about his QBs. He also thinks the last two seasons were among most successful in Sabres history

Sully completely embarrasses himself with his comments about the Pegulas (in much the same way that Bucky did with his misogynistic comments about Kim).

Sully has written some ridiculous things about the Pegulas (including suggesting that Terry was simply lucky in business).

It must hurt guys like Sully, Bucky, and Harrington that the Pegulas have built up so much goodwill in Buffalo that people realize that their comments about the Pegulas are BS.

Somebody once told me that there are people in this world that take all of the risk (professional, financial, and otherwise) to make the movie, and there are others (like Sully, Bucky, and Harrington) who do nothing other than critique after the fact.

Sully, Bucky, and Harrington are the keyboard jockeys who never accomplished anything in life other than being critical of others after the fact -- and even then they get it wrong much of the time.

In the world of sports reporting, you have to believe the only thing worse than being Jerry Sullivan is being Jerry Sullivan trying to be Tim Graham.

Hey guys...it's a sport. Get over yourself. Report on the sport then STFU. No one gives a crap what you think about McCoy not getting it or a football team name being racist.

No. One. Cares. About. Your. Opinion.

In the world of sports reporting, you have to believe the only thing worse than being Jerry Sullivan is being Jerry Sullivan trying to be Tim Graham.

Hey guys...it's a sport. Get over yourself. Report on the sport then STFU. No one gives a crap what you think about McCoy not getting it or a football team name being racist.

No. One. Cares. About. Your. Opinion.

This thread, along with many others, is concrete proof otherwise.

Yes and no.

Because of the internet and twitter etc., these guys do not have the last word. When they are being ridiculous, there is push back. They hate that. As I mentioned before, these guys love to dish it out, but have extremely thin skin themselves.

To me, Sullivan's column was about how McCoy doesn't seem to think there was anything wrong with his party while Sullivan thinks that there was. It's as simple as that.

Yep, that's what I got out of it. And maybe trying to paint McCoy as a guy who "just doesn't get it." Which, after hearing some of his comments this off season, seems to be true.

To me, Sullivan's column was about how McCoy doesn't seem to think there was anything wrong with his party while Sullivan thinks that there was. It's as simple as that.

This right here is why most of them don't deserve to be reporting. It is an annoying trend across the league. Nothing sells better than controversy, so they would much rather talk about that than anything relevant to the game of football.

Well, reporters needed to ask. It was a lot more interesting than talking about how poorly EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel threw the ball in the first practice, or how Rex Ryan had a better feel for this training camp than he ever did in his six years with the Jets.

On another note this comment below the article nails it.

"BREAKING: Young millionaire prefers company of attractive women. Fails to understand how this offends old dude's life code. Old dude whimpers 'get off my lawn.'"

Edited by What a Tuel

How do I block someone?

get your hands up and get off the ball. be sure to maintain leverage and once your feet are centered? drive him into the ground.

This is what i expect to see from the Bills this year. moving the defense off the ball when needed.

I am going to watch those O line men very closely. another season of NFL rewind i think is in order.

and Sullivan... i did not happen to read it. darn..

I stand corrected because if no one cared, we wouldn't be discussing it.

Let me correct myself.

Thinking people don't care. I get the idea that I probably prefer my team's sports writers to be kool-aid drinkers, but anymore people like Sullivan and Graham need to do and stay stupid stuff to get people to click their links.

You'll notice who is above this ridiculousness: John Wawrow. Here's a guy who has spent more than his share of time on this board chatting politics and the like, and we've had some rough discussions, but when it comes to reporting on the team, he sticks to reporting and keeps his opinions guarded. Which means when he writes, thinking people read it.

The only time I see Sully or Graham is when they've lured in another fish and I take the opportunity to mock them for it.

And whats his hard on with the Pegula's... look at this gem he tweeted today:

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully 5h5 hours ago

No surprise that Pegula wouldn't be worried about his QBs. He also thinks the last two seasons were among most successful in Sabres history

Thats a WTF Sully? for me.

dude has gone off the deep end now.he is twisted up with statement like this

Maybe its a call for help?

half serious actually i can even get mad. just so wierd :w00t:

I agree, Sully has no other arrows in his quiver at this point. Bucky is in the same boat at TBN. They now write fluff pieces, or (mostly) these troll "columns". After so much drivel, he has painted himself into a corner, and the only way he gets talked about is when he pisses people off. Not the first writer to try this, but it's just such a tired act in these parts by now.

I must say that it has been so refreshing to see the snooze finally add some bench strength with the likes of total professionals like Carucci and Ty Dunne, each of who I have actually enjoyed reading.

Tyler Dunne is a refreshing change. Does some more work obviously , to paint a picture. even if its a pleasant one. Respect him and look forward to his articles

Prior to today I'd read reports which made me think that McCoy was something of a twit. But this morning, for the first time, I heard him speak for himself in a press conference setting after the first practice. I was totally relieved to find out I was way wrong about him! He's edgy, yes, but interesting and downright charming.

Then I read Sullivan's article, which made the same interview sound very negative. According to Sullivan's report, there was nothing playful or positive like the words I'd heard with my own ears.

There's no reason to read Sullivan's misleading diatribes any more.

fair post and should be noted by all. cut and dried. well said BoB

When was the last time Sullivan made an interesting sports point? for a guy who's been a sports reporter a long as he has his sports insight is less than impressive, in fact if he was a poster here he'd be in the bottom third.

hey dont toss him in with us! Thats would drag our overall score down. create a fourth rung of suctitude please and sully could be president

Fundamentally Sully's problem is exposed in this - it's the start of training camp, and he's writing a Bills article about something non-football.

His problem is he doesn't actually like football - makes him a bad choice for a sports beat on a newspaper - especially when newspapers are a dying industry and there are far more good reporters out there then there are precious jobs like the one being wasted on Sully.

Edited by BobChalmers

Fundamentally Sully's problem is exposed in this - it's the start of training camp, and he's writing a Bills article about something non-football.

His problem is he doesn't actually like football - makes him a bad choice for a sports beat on a newspaper - especially when newspapers are a dying industry and there are far more good reporters out there then there are precious jobs like the one being wasted on Sully.

thats a fair review