Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because the Minn judge has been pro union in his decisions and has let players off the hook

doty didnt get the case in minnesota anyway. its a bit of luck for either side which judge will get it once the venue is established. each tried to stack the deck a bit and the nfl got its deck, but that doesnt mean they are going to draw the card they wanted still. this judge could be either side. for all we know the selection could even end up an against the odds win for the nflpa.

im sure we will learn more about this judge than we care to know in the coming week or two. once guys finish dissecting the filings, theres going to be some dead time and dissecting the judges history will surely fill some of it.

The Barrister ‏@theycallmedubs

This is just a guess, but given what I know about Judge Berman, Brady's chance of preliminary injunction just went from 40% to 5%.

thats a big statement, but who is that guy?

doty didnt get the case in minnesota anyway. its a bit of luck for either side which judge will get it once the venue is established. each tried to stack the deck a bit and the nfl got its deck, but that doesnt mean they are going to draw the card they wanted still. this judge could be either side. for all we know the selection could even end up an against the odds win for the nflpa.

im sure we will learn more about this judge than we care to know in the coming week or two. once guys finish dissecting the filings, theres going to be some dead time and dissecting the judges history will surely fill some of it.

From his twitter feed, he's definitely in law... just judging by what he has tweeted about.

Edit... looks like he's filed in the same court as NFL.

He may get judgment on the merits before season, but I'm still waiting on a summary judgment decision for motion I filed in SDNY in 2013.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

he is either a legal expert or a lawyer - he has been all over the case and a great follow on Twitter. I found him via Jeremy white who kept RTing him.

I don't know, but apparently they call him dubs

he is either a legal expert or a lawyer - he has been all over the case and a great follow on Twitter. I found him via Jeremy white who kept RTing him.

interesting. he appears to be a lawyer, but he also seems to be tweeting photos of himself with joints. wasnt sure if he was more legal expert, or road sodas 2.0

Edited by NoSaint

then it was a win win for Rog WRT the Minn judge LOL

im not sure why you say that as the minnesota judge wasnt the one everyone keeps discussing as pro-nflpa and none of us know anything about the guy that was assigned in minnesota, or ny Edited by NoSaint

I will say this: Kraft is probably my 28th or 29th favorite owner. Jones, Snyder, and Woody Johnson bring up the rear.

sounds about right. couple i like, whole bunch i dont know much about, and a handful that are actively frustrating. they all fall in the latter category

I don't know if Berman would be more inclined to side with NE*; sorry if I sounded that way.

I'm only saying that it hardly seems like a win for either side.

Berman was essentially a classic liberal Republican (a breed that basically no longer exists). He worked for Javits, did work as an environmentalist, worked for the major law firm Davis Polk, and worked as a VP in management for a major corporation for 8 years (Warner Cable). It's hard to tell what he believes about labor rights, but my general view is that northeast Republicans weren't pro-labor in their 1960s-70s heyday despite being socially liberal on many other issues. Cutting against this is that he actually got an MA in social work in 1996 at the age of 53! So who knows.

The kicker: Roger Goodell's father was a liberal Republican Senator from New York who was voted out of office in 1971 because conservatives hated him and ran Charles Buckley (who won in a 3-way race). I wouldn't be surprised if the judge knew Goodell's dad at some level. Berman is 72 years old and was 28 when Goodell's dad was voted out. Berman grew up in Queens.

Edited by dave mcbride

After reading the last paragraph of his bio, Peterson is lucky this guy didn't get his case.

He seems to have a little Martin Short thing going on in that pic, too.

GO BILLS!!!

http://ballotpedia.org/Richard_Berman

I had a little fun with the second of the notable cases listed here, which was really about his sentencing of Cameron Douglas (son of Michael Douglas and grandson of Kirk Douglas; he was busted for meth and coke):

"Judge Berman presided in the case of Tom Brady, the scion of entitled NFL owner Robert Kraft. Berman denied the appeal of the star QB on September 1, 2015. Brady pleaded innocent to charges of cheating on a Foxborough football field.[8] The Judge affirmed the sentencing of Brady to a 4-game suspension. Berman also scolded Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick, employer and coach of Brady, who pleaded to the judge for leniency, by stating, "get beyond and get over that idea...that Tom Brady is a victim." Brady had team members and staff write letters to the judge asking to him to fine Brady instead of suspending him. Before handing down the sentence, Judge Berman said that a suspension "could be the last chance to begin to repair his soiled reputation" as the judge mentioned that the younger Brady has battled a cheating addiction since he joined the Patriot organization in 2001.[9] Brady's case was appealed to the Second Circuit court and was denied the next day, on September 2, 2015.[10]

Edited by dave mcbride

After reading the last paragraph of his bio, Peterson is lucky this guy didn't get his case.

He seems to have a little Martin Short thing going on in that pic, too.

GO BILLS!!!

you said it about Peterson!

That's a pretty big feather in Brady's cap, imo.

I absolutely agree. It's not insignificant.

I find it very troubling unqualified people are reading judicial decisions and commenting as if they understand it. Until somebody takes a lesson on Civil Procedure and Personal Jurisdiction specifically on minimum contacts you will not understand one iota what the judge wrote there. Understanding the plain English meaning is pointless without understanding the case law for statutory and constitutional limitation in this regard.