Whiny parents (Part 31)

Kids are kids. Some are more challenging than others. I have been fortunate to have two fairly well behaved kids, but I'm not going to pretend that there haven't been moments where I want to sell them to the gypsies.

True story. Near the tail end of an epic flight from Syracuse to Fairbanks, AK my son (then 2) was losing his mind. We tried everything from music to toys to walking him up and down the aisle.

He was seated next to me on my wife's lap and spontaneously slapped her across the face. Horrified, she handed him to me and I sat him on my lap. He then looked me in the eyes, slapped me in the face, and screamed Daddy d**k head!"

It was took every fiber of my being to resist laughing.

Observant little bugger.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people ever bring children to a restaurant? Honest question.

My wife and I are not having kids yet because we enjoy traveling, great restaurants, etc. We pay extra when we travel to tropical locations for "kid free" hotels. It's worth every penny. I understand we are in a vast minority of not having kids but we know that if we ever do, one of the expenses will be a babysitter for any time we go out. Flying? Well I don't have an answer for that other than some nice noise canceling headphones but why should your choice to procreate interfere with my steak?

My wife and I are not having kids yet because we enjoy traveling, great restaurants, etc. We pay extra when we travel to tropical locations for "kid free" hotels. It's worth every penny. I understand we are in a vast minority of not having kids but we know that if we ever do, one of the expenses will be a babysitter for any time we go out. Flying? Well I don't have an answer for that other than some nice noise canceling headphones but why should your choice to procreate interfere with my steak?

I have children, and I completely agree with you. My son does amazing at restaurants, and we've been taking him out to eat with us since he was around 1. My daughter, on the other hand, is a complete terror. We know better than to bring her to a restaurant. These people with screaming babies in restaurants make me want to smack them in the forehead with a tack hammer.

First let me say that I have zero tolerance for my kids misbehaving in restaurants and am just as irked as non-parents are with those who use a restaurant as their kids personal playground.

But....

The bolded describes friends of ours to the letter. They were married over 10 years before they had kids, said they wanted to travel, went to kid free resorts, baby sitters all the time when we go out if we do have kids.. yada yada. They now have a four year old who is an absolute hellion and they take him out to dinner all the time. They got smacked in the face with a cold hard dose of reality.

Cause preparing, feeding and cleaning up 3 meals a day times X kids is not the highlight of the parental experience.

Walk in - sit - eat - walk out is often a needed breath of fresh air.

Plus, like anything else, you should teach your kids things while they are young, including how to act in public.

Why do people ever bring children to a restaurant?

Cause preparing, feeding and cleaning up 3 meals a day times X kids is not the highlight of the parental experience.

Walk in - sit - eat - walk out is often a needed breath of fresh air.

Plus, like anything else, you should teach your kids things while they are young, including how to act in public.

Or, they could have used this thing called the "world wide web" and looked up "family-friendly restaurants" prior to heading out for breakfast:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g40827-zfp5-Portland_Maine.html

I just remembered this pet peeve. My wife and I would go once a week or so to happy hour at a local Mexican restaurant. I was pissed that the number of kids people brought to the bar because of the happy hour prices. I always wanted to yell obscenities at the TV showing sports just so someone would give me **** for swearing in front of little Johnny. Well I'm sorry but this is a bar where which should be adults only. Not sure why I never mentioned this to management.

and if you also select "Breakfast" guess what listing shows up....

Or, they could have used this thing called the "world wide web" and looked up "family-friendly restaurants" prior to heading out for breakfast:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g40827-zfp5-Portland_Maine.html

To your point...i brought my kids to bars, and I was fully accepting of the fact that language may be an issue, i taught my kids that adults swear and that it isn't appropriate for them to use the same language. I knew what I was walking into when I was in those situations.

I just remembered this pet peeve. My wife and I would go once a week or so to happy hour at a local Mexican restaurant. I was pissed that the number of kids people brought to the bar because of the happy hour prices. I always wanted to yell obscenities at the TV showing sports just so someone would give me **** for swearing in front of little Johnny. Well I'm sorry but this is a bar where which should be adults only. Not sure why I never mentioned this to management.

Euphemism for nude resorts?

and if you also select "Breakfast" guess what listing shows up....

To your point...i brought my kids to bars, and I was fully accepting of the fact that language may be an issue, i taught my kids that adults swear and that it isn't appropriate for them to use the same language. I knew what I was walking into when I was in those situations.

I set my son up in his pack-n-play up in bars while I set up equipment for my band's gigs. Surrounded by sluts and afternoon drunks. Never fazed him a bit.

Holy Jesus Steve...I bring my kids out cause I enjoy their company! They make me laugh...they make me pissed as hell too, but way more times they me smile, laugh, and just have fun. If the only point in having kids is to have them....get snipped.

I think you can go through this board and know I am not a " my kids are angels and smarter than the average bear type of guy" ...but I am big on family , and kids are family.

As I mentioned up thread , my wife and I went out at least once a week with out the chuckles, but damn...never going to a restaurant with them... that would just blow.

And also...show me a seat with a 2 year old in it, and I will pay extra to sit in seat next it....way better experience than 90 % of the flying public today.

Edited by plenzmd1

As a childless adult I go to bars expecting there to be no children. I'm talking children 10 and under. Take the little ***** to Chuck E. Cheese.

As a childless adult I go to bars expecting there to be no children. I'm talking children 10 and under. Take the little ***** to Chuck E. Cheese.

Start serving beer at Chuck E. Cheese, then!