NFL LIVE on ESPN

Buftex

Now this hits the nail on the head.  Some of the same Belichick ballwashers who can't stop talking about the Patriots' "team concept" are all too willing to say it's all Drew's fault in Buffalo.

235334[/snapback]

Yes, well, what else does Drew need other than the #2 defense and #1 ST in the league to git 'er done?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds a bit contradictory to me....if it's wrong to say we'd put the season on JP's shoulders by starting him, then why would starting Drew put the season on *his* shoulders?

The Bills are in a bit of a bind because they basically have a rookie QB waiting to start and a veteran QB who has been mistake-prone. I still say the best thing for the Bills is to NOT release Drew and go into training camp with the job up for grabs.

By this point, Drew has to know that his starting status is in jeopardy and that the coaches should know his limitations have hurt them. Yeah, maybe Drew can start for other teams right now, but he's also gotta know that those opportunities are stop-gap and he'd eventually lose his job to a younger guy. His best option would be to restructure/whatever and stay in Buffalo, resigned to the fact that he'll likely be the #2 guy. If he's the team-player I think he is, he'll do just that.

Besides, I'd rather have someone prepared to take over (in the event JP gets hurt) that knows Mularkey & Clements and their offense. Bringing in a brand new free agent might even set things back further.

235417[/snapback]

Here is what I meant:

Bledsoe has many limitations and these are well known by the DCs around the league. When he tries to overcome his limitations (often) he makes mistakes. This pattern has repeated itself ad nauseum and I do not see any way it will magically reverse. Thus, by starting him you are capitulating to his limitations. The most you can possibly hope for is poor plans by other teams, and/or taking away plays from the playbook that will put DB into situations where he makes mistakes. It will be on his shoulders because of the limited playbook limits opportunites and creates more critical sitauations than are necessary. He must perform in these situations at a very high percentage to succeed.

There is no guarantee with Losman. He may be a carbon copy of DB for all we know. But at least there is some hope. Maybe (after an initial period) he won't be so mistake prone. Maybe he'll be able to think and act quickly. Maybe throws over the middle won't be to the MLB. If he is better than Bledsoe in any one area, the whole team improves because the DCs plans won't be so easy to compile. The options that are open to us will multiply and JP won't be forced to make plays. Thus it won't be "on his shoulders".

I am not comparing JP to Brady, but Brady's biggest strength in my book is lack of mistakes (with #2 being quick thinking). The Pats offense although similar (arguably weaker) to the Bills, has many more options because of the QB and the game is not on Brady's shoulders at all.

As for keepng DB at a lower salary as a backup, I don't really claim to know the best course of action. don't think he could do well enough beyond a 4 game stretch, but I don't really know the alternatives.

Yes, well, what else does Drew need other than the #2 defense and #1 ST in the league to git 'er done?

235484[/snapback]

9-3 in your last 12 games (after the replacement of TH) is terrible.

In other news, we lost to the Patriots three times this year according to espn:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=buf

Sun Oct 3 New England L 17-31

Sat Nov 6 at New England L 7-21

Sun Nov 14 at New England L 6-29

CW

Sun Oct 3  New England  L 17-31

Sat Nov 6  at New England  L 7-21

Sun Nov 14  at New England  L 6-29

CW

235506[/snapback]

Yeah, but we rebounded nicely and beat the Jets the very next day after the second NE loss.

Mark Schelreth, Mike Golic, and the host (sorry can't remember his name).  When they got to Bledsoe, all agreed that the Bills needed to find a way to restructure his deal and keep him next season.

235232[/snapback]

Sorry to break the news to you, but those two guys know very little about NFL players and the behind the scenes stuff off the field. I'm not saying they know nothing about the game because they both played, but when it comes to off the field stuff they don't know anything. Mortsen and Clayton are the guys who get those types of scoopes --- the real journalists.

This is a pretty good read...

Will Bledsoe Be Back in Buffalo in 2005?

The premise is basically what most of us seem to be calling for: that the Bills SHOULD bring Drew back -- but at a reduced salary and with open competition for the starting job.

235530[/snapback]

That is an excellent article. I don't know the writer, but if he's not from Buffalo he deserves a lot of credit for doing his homework on this issue.

He really hits the nail on the head with regard to the main point: neither the Bills nor Bledsoe really needs each other, but they're both probably better off together.

Bledsoe is scheduled to make $3.3 M in base salary in 2005. The real kicker is that he is due to receive a $1.05 M roster bonus on March 2

So it is March 2nd, not March 1st.

235545[/snapback]

They'd have to cut him on 3/1 to avoid paying him on 3/2.

We screwed that up last year by going on that winning streak. If we would have been eliminated early we would have saw what JP could do and have a concrete decision by now.

Jeff

235251[/snapback]

I would have rather had the winning streak. We had football that mattered in late December/Early January with Drew behind center. That's the first time I've been able to say that in five years.

Training camp, mini camps, etc...if these coaches can't tell what the kid can do from there we don't have a very good coaching staff.

This is what happens when you lose at home to a bunch of Steelers scrubs with a Bills playoff birth on the line. Drew did this to himself. Wondering why so many fans have turned off to him is stupid. The final straw was seeing Bill Belichick win his third Lumbardi Trophy since trading Drew to a divisional rival. Enough is enough, time to turn the page.

I would have rather had the winning streak. We had football that mattered in late December/Early January with Drew behind center. That's the first time I've been able to say that in five years.

Training camp, mini camps, etc...if these coaches can't tell what the kid can do from there we don't have a very good coaching staff.

235548[/snapback]

I enjoyed the run as much as enyone else, but all I'm saying is that we lost valible time (game experance) with JP.

Jeff

This is what happens when you lose at home to a bunch of Steelers scrubs with a Bills playoff birth on the line. Drew did this to himself. Wondering why so many fans have turned off to him is stupid. The final straw was seeing Bill Belichick win his third Lumbardi Trophy since trading Drew to a divisional rival. Enough is enough, time to turn the page.

235557[/snapback]

Awesome statement...I agree.

i agree.  even with bledsoe the bills are better than a 9-7 team. 

we had a rookie head coach and rookie offensive coordinator in 2004.  now that they have some experience, i doubt we start the 2005 season at 0-4

jerry grey got to step out of Gregg Williams and Dick Lebeaus' shadows and put his mark on this defense.  watching the D gel, i don't see Nate Clements going for the ESPN highlight at the goalline on the last play of the game up 13-6.  nor do i see another collapse like we saw at the end of the first jets game

but then again we saw what happened the final game of the season when the entire team broke down.  i know alot of you like to pin that squarely on drew's shoulders, but the starting D gave up a long run to a backup RB late in the game and our supposed automatic kicker shanked a gimme

but what do i know, its all drew's fault  :)

235438[/snapback]

This post has some SERIOUS cowbell. :D

Sun Oct 3  New England  L 17-31

Sat Nov 6  at New England  L 7-21

Sun Nov 14  at New England  L 6-29

CW

235506[/snapback]

In fairness to ESPN, the second loss was really embarrassing. I can see why they'd add a second L for that one.