The GOP Nomination--The Donald and So Much More!

Coal provides 39% of electricity in this nation, not 50% as Carly claims.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

Her Clean Coal angle is extremely 1999ish. She's from Virginia, though, so, yeah, coal.

Ha, ha, ha! She made the wind turbines slaughtering birds argument! Oh Carly! :doh:

yes, but her delivery was very impressive.

Ha, ha, ha! She made the wind turbines slaughtering birds argument! Oh Carly! :doh:

Hey, what a million birds among eco friends? Never mind the noise pollution, unreliable power generation and unsustainable return on capital. Windmills look cool, dude.

As long as they don't block my view of Nantucket Bay or sunsets off Malibu.

Hey, what a million birds among eco friends? Never mind the noise pollution, unreliable power generation and unsustainable return on capital. Windmills look cool, dude.

As long as they don't block my view of Nantucket Bay or sunsets off Malibu.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/15/wind-turbines-kill-fewer-birds-than-cell-towers-cats/15683843/. there seems to be considerable dispute on the relative threat to birds from various sources. should we outlaw cats and cell towers and they kill more birds?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/15/wind-turbines-kill-fewer-birds-than-cell-towers-cats/15683843/. there seems to be considerable dispute on the relative threat to birds from various sources. should we outlaw cats and cell towers and they kill more birds?

There are about 50K wind turbines in the US accounting for less than 5% of total electricity generation. There are about 250K cell towers in the US. Do a little projection on how many more birds wind power will kill if the industry starts to scale up. Idiot.

There are about 50K wind turbines in the US accounting for less than 5% of total electricity generation. There are about 250K cell towers in the US. Do a little projection on how many more birds wind power will kill if the industry starts to scale up. Idiot.

Well, 1 million sounds like a lot, but how about One Billion? Bwahaha!

You've really got to watch out for those Mexican truck drivers with well paying jobs, abandoning their well paying jobs and deciding to start their life with nothing in a new country.

Did I say starting with nothing? I meant mucho, mucho benefits. I mean, they'll practically be rich on the $6 per day food stamps that they won't be getting. They'll live like kings on the Medicaid that they won't qualify for. Those lucky bastards.

Why, oh Lordy, wasn't I born a Mexican truck driver?

Just maybe you missed the point. Obama signed off on allowing the Mexican truck drivers to deliver products into the US rather than having U.S. truck drivers move the goods from the border to the interior of the U.S. For sure that reduces U.S. jobs and there was concern that Mexican trucks are not maintained to the same standards as U.S. and that Mexican drivers are not trained as well. The article seems to say that safety hasn't been an issue, but we were pressured by the Mexican government to agree due to tariffs on US goods going into Mexico. Imagine that, the Mexican government putting some pressure on the US and us caving in to that.

Just maybe you missed the point. Obama signed off on allowing the Mexican truck drivers to deliver products into the US rather than having U.S. truck drivers move the goods from the border to the interior of the U.S. For sure that reduces U.S. jobs and there was concern that Mexican trucks are not maintained to the same standards as U.S. and that Mexican drivers are not trained as well. The article seems to say that safety hasn't been an issue, but we were pressured by the Mexican government to agree due to tariffs on US goods going into Mexico. Imagine that, the Mexican government putting some pressure on the US and us caving in to that.

Trump wasn't talking about truck drivers, he was actually saying the Mexicans would illegally drive the cars here and then he doubled down and said they would sleep in the cars. Totally inanity

Trump wasn't talking about truck drivers, he was actually saying the Mexicans would illegally drive the cars here and then he doubled down and said they would sleep in the cars. Totally inanity

I'm starting to look forward to President Trump. It's not like this country's getting any real leadership any time soon, but a Trump presidency would be hilarious.

There is actually considerably MORE dispute regarding whether man-made global warming cooling climate change is actually a thing, and yet here you all are, calling it the biggest security threat to our country and the cause of all things related to terrorism because some people hot and hungry.

But someone brings up dead birds due to wind turnbines, and it's all somewhat disputed, and therefore the science is settled because...uhhh....because...uhhh....

Oh, yeah! DDT and IKEA futons!!!

I'm starting to look forward to President Trump. It's not like this country's getting any real leadership any time soon, but a Trump presidency would be hilarious.

President of what? He will win the GOP nomination, it looks like. Winning the Presidency of the United States? Not gonna happen

I love that DDT was introduced to this argument by a doctor, who, presumably finds it preferable for African, Asian, and Latin American populations to suffer from massive outbreaks of typhus, yellow fever, and malaria which kill upwards of 2500 people every day, in order to protect a DDT ban.

Odd, that.

President of what? He will win the GOP nomination, it looks like. Winning the Presidency of the United States? Not gonna happen

You can say that about every candidate out there. The only reason one of them's going to be president is because they're all running against each other.

There is actually considerably MORE dispute regarding whether man-made global warming cooling climate change is actually a thing, and yet here you all are, calling it the biggest security threat to our country and the cause of all things related to terrorism because some people hot and hungry.

But someone brings up dead birds due to wind turnbines, and it's all somewhat disputed, and therefore the science is settled because...uhhh....because...uhhh....

Oh, yeah! DDT and IKEA futons!!!

see there's the problem. it's not science. republicans generally aren't about science. and scientists generally aren't republicans. the science says that many more birds are killed by cats than turbines. but carly makes it into a soundbite and yall applaud. it's really the invers of science. 1/science= far right conservatism.

see there's the problem. it's not science. republicans generally aren't about science. and scientists generally aren't republicans. the science says that many more birds are killed by cats than turbines. but carly makes it into a soundbite and yall applaud. it's really the invers of science. 1/science= far right conservatism.

I'll start taking the climate change crowd seriously when they start taking themselves seriously. When anyone proposes a solution that will have an appreciable impact on global CO2 levels then we can discuss that. In the meantime it's just another way to expand government under false pretenses.

I'll start taking the climate change crowd seriously when they start taking themselves seriously. When anyone proposes a solution that will have an appreciable impact on global CO2 levels then we can discuss that. In the meantime it's just another way to expand government under false pretenses.

I don't think they're using the climate change argument as a reason to expand government. I think you've got the cart before the horse. I think they're using an expanded government to solve a problem that may or may not be solvable.

It's far less "science" than it is "wild-ass guesses." I can find "science" that show that windows kill more birds than every other cause combined. I found one estimate that natural gas production kills three billion birds annually. I found estimates for wind turbines that range from 10k to 4 million annually...and found one that claims that wind turbines disproportionately kill less plentiful and threatened predator species like golden eagles.

What you call "science" is nothing more than you cherry-picking random numbers to support your own bias.

It's far less "science" than it is "wild-ass guesses." I can find "science" that show that windows kill more birds than every other cause combined. I found one estimate that natural gas production kills three billion birds annually. I found estimates for wind turbines that range from 10k to 4 million annually...and found one that claims that wind turbines disproportionately kill less plentiful and threatened predator species like golden eagles.

What you call "science" is nothing more than you cherry-picking random numbers to support your own bias.

presumably the bird carcasses would be fairly easy to quantify in and around turbines. scavengers could be factored in. it's really not difficult to study.