The GOP Nomination--The Donald and So Much More!

Comedy and news don't have to be mutually exclusive. The Daily Show was a comedic news show under Stewart. (Now it'll become a canceled comedic news show under the new guy).

This is a really silly semantic argument. Very much like saying Islam is a religion of peace, therefore the 9/11 terrorists weren't Islamic.

Comedy and news don't have to be mutually exclusive. The Daily Show was a comedic news show under Stewart. (Now it'll become a canceled comedic news show under the new guy).

This is a really silly semantic argument. Very much like saying Islam is a religion of peace, therefore the 9/11 terrorists weren't Islamic.

It is an exercise in semantics futility, gotta agree with you there. :lol:

Time slot - ORF 8PM vs prime time entertainment programs - TDS 11PM vs news programs Late Night Talk Shows

format - Both have monologues, clips and guests (So does every Late night talk show)

tone - one is comedic the other is ironic (Now you're just !@#$ing with me)

content - one speaks from the right, the other from the left (One covers news. The other makes fun of the news.)

background - what does this have to do with anything? Both have heavily saturated red, white & blue sets (It has EVERYTHING to do with it. O'Reilly is a journalist. Stewart is a COMEDIAN).

purpose - one to preach to the right flock, the other to preach to the left flock. (Both preach, undeniably, though O'Reilly's purpose is to deliver the news, Stewart's is to make fun of the news. These are different.)

I don't quite understand how TGreg doesn't understand this simple little differentiation, it's really not that difficult to understand. Of course the show isn't packaged as news, that goes without saying, the argument is that many people view it as comedy/news and that Jon Stewart is an advocate for the causes he supports as O'Reilly is an advocate for the causes he supports.

The fact "many" people (and I'd argue that nebulous term is much lower than you think) get their news from a show billing itself as FAKE news says more about the state of the media in this country than it does about anything else. People who compare The Daily Show to Fox News are being disingenuous because they are not equal. Or at least, they're not supposed to be. We're supposed to have a media that acts as the fourth estate. Instead, it's been bought and paid for by corporate America for the past two decades. This is undeniable.

That's why The Daily Show and Fox News hit the same cultural nerve. People are tired of the bull ****, on the right and the left. But The Daily Show, as a comedy show, has no responsibility to be unbiased. Fox News, as a news channel, does. People forget before Fox News came along, the Daily Show's biggest target was CNN. And that was before CNN went really off the deep end. Stewart doesn't hide what he is (a comedian) or where his politics lie. His audience knows, he's not perpetrating fraud. He's hosting a fake news show on a comedy channel. He has no responsibility to be neutral, comedy comes from having an opinion after all.

Fox News, as a network, is supposed to be impartial. Ditto with any MSM news outlet. O'Reilly doesn't have to remain impartial because his show is an opinion show. But he's presenting the news. Stewart makes fun of the news -- undeniably with a liberal slant. There's a GIANT difference between those job descriptions. To say they're equal is incredibly disingenuous at best, ignorant at worst because it perpetuates one of the major problems in this country: equating entertainment with news.

Fox News, as a network, is supposed to be impartial. Ditto with any MSM news outlet. O'Reilly doesn't have to remain impartial because his show is an opinion show. But he's presenting the news. Stewart makes fun of the news -- undeniably with a liberal slant. There's a GIANT difference between those job descriptions. To say they're equal is incredibly disingenuous at best, ignorant at worst because it perpetuates one of the major problems in this country: equating entertainment with news.

Fox News, as a network, is supposed to be "fair and balanced." Not only does that not say **** about "impartial," but Murdoch himself has stated that Fox News' mission is to be partial.

And by the way: The Daily Show has won more awards for journalism than Fox News has.

That's right. Erasmus, one of the great thinkers of western history, was a satirist. He made serious points through humor

I don't quite understand how TGreg doesn't understand this simple little differentiation, it's really not that difficult to understand. Of course the show isn't packaged as news, that goes without saying, the argument is that many people view it as comedy/news and that Jon Stewart is an advocate for the causes he supports as O'Reilly is an advocate for the causes he supports.

I would say it was a news/propaganda show masquerading as a comedy show.

Anyone know how long it will be before all the Trump supporters get tired of him starting EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE wih "If it weren't for me.."?

Surely that won't get old fast.

For the record, after Trump becomes your GOP nominee, here is the loop the left will play over and over and over to announce Trump's war on women.

Can you possibly imagine what Hillary will do with this?

Anyone know how long it will be before all the Trump supporters get tired of him starting EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE wih "If it weren't for me.."?

For the record, after Trump becomes your GOP nominee, here is the loop the left will play over and over and over to announce Trump's war on women.

Man, you guys are terrified of Trump!

What does that have to do with how his show is defined?

The folks who think the Daily Show is news are in the minority. Thus, their perception is NOT reality.

Good to see after being pretty much AWOL for a week you're still wrong. :D

Yes, and that chick in the video came out and defended Trump right away. Funny how people who know him well love the guy, even ex-wives.

Like I said, if it ever becomes a Trump vs Hillary battle, I will bet on Trump and you guys can steal my money by taking the other side if you are so sure he would lose.

But he's such a longshot to win the nomination anyway that it's not even worth discussing or trying to figure out which Republican candidate would most appease the left. It will most likely be Jeb vs Hillary. Still.

Yes, and that chick in the video came out and defended Trump right away.

Who the phuck cares what she thinks? When Trump gets the nod, do you really think the world will vote for him because an employee Trump wanted to see on her knees sucking his dick doesn't remember the incident?

Have you been living in a cave the past eight years?

Trump wouldn't last five minutes vs. Hillary and the left. By the time they got done with him, they'll have everyone convinced he hates women and you get another eight years of Barack Obama with an older vagina.

All he would have to do is run a funny ad of Brande in a bikini telling Hillary don't be a hater. Or one with Brande saying "Hey Hillary, you always want to talk about glass ceilings, lets talk about glass houses...oh...hi Bill!" The MSMs hair would again be on fire, America would love it and his poll numbers would skyrocket some more.

You have to admit, you must love seeing the MSM PC police having the opposite effect on him. It's like watching a movie villain's machine gun getting jammed and throwing it to the ground in frustration.

Trump wouldn't last five minutes vs. Hillary and the left. By the time they got done with him, they'll have everyone convinced he hates women

I think you are severely misunderestimating Donald.

Which Republican candidate will not be portrayed as carrying out a "War on Women"? Marco "no exception for the life of the mother" Rubio perhaps? Pro Life Jeb? Mike "5th and 14th Ammendment" Huckabee?

Donald will not be afraid of Hillary and swing back (figuratively) fiercley. He made a comment about Hillary and Clinton Foundation and fund raising Thursday which was right on the money. More to follow no doubt. He's fearless about that stuff unlike Jeb, Marco, and the rest because they're all doing the same thing.

Did you notice his no time for PC probably got the biggest hand of the night? That's his appeal and why he's winning. I'm sick of politics as usual by BOTH SIDES and I'm not alone. You go Donald.

It's obvious to anyone paying attention that now the Republican Party is doing its earnest to get him out. This should be fun.

Edited by reddogblitz

Which Republican candidate will not be portrayed as carrying out a "War on Women"? Marco "no exception for the life of the mother" Rubio perhaps? Pro Life Jeb? Mike "5th and 14th Ammendment" Huckabee?

Donald will not be afraid of Hillary and swing back (figuratively) fiercley. He made a comment about Hillary and Clinton Foundation and fund raising Thursday which was right on the money. More to follow no doubt. He's fearless about that stuff unlike Jeb, Marco, and the rest because they're all doing the same thing.

Did you notice his no time for PC probably got the biggest hand of the night? That's his appeal and why he's winning. I'm sick of politics as usual by BOTH SIDES and I'm not alone. You go Donald.

It's obvious to anyone paying attention that now the Republican Party is doing its earnest to get him out. This should be fun.

So, should it be fun because it will cause the GOP to fail, or fun because it will light a fire under their ass?

So, should it be fun because it will cause the GOP to fail, or fun because it will light a fire under their ass?

The GOP is kind of already failure because they really have no core beliefs anymore. They got elected into congress in 2014 and basically did nothing. I think that Trump might be the GOPs last hope before it's truly over for them because he has that boldness and genuine love of America not seen since Reagan. Is he a jerk at times? Yes, but I think people don't mind it as long as they know that's who he is. He isn't faking being nice to get votes like almost all politicians do no matter who the party is. Remember all the fake Obama smiles? Yuck! Notice how he doesn't smile much because he doesn't have to anymore?

Trump doesn't like to smile, people like that he isn't trying to fake it. They also know that he loves America. Not fake, loves America...that's two big pluses. Not sure if Trump can go the long haul, don't know the specifics yet, but I do like that he's shook up the MSM/DC crowd and they don't seem to have any magic bullets to finish him off.

The only thing I regularly underestimate in politics is the depths to which the left will go to absolutely destroy the competition, regardless of truth, ethics, or accuracy. A nutbag with no plan, who starts every sentence with "If it weren't for me..." and who provides the left a continuous video loop of him telling an employee he'd like to see her on her knees sucking dick will never, ever survive.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either delusional...or a Democrat.

I know you feel like you've found your John Huntsman, but let me be clear; just because the right appears to have broadened the tent doesn't mean that Trump is the answer.

Trump is the absolute fastest way to a Hillary landslide, and I'm fairly sure people like you know this.

Edited by LABillzFan