Gay Marriage everywhere, mass hysteria ensues

Sorry Dorkington: This is MY topic!

In law school it was always fun to read the dissents in the equality cases and Scalia will not disappoint future generations in the same way that Kennedy's prose speaks to those same future generations in over the top Obama-esque prose. I thought Roberts would come out on the side of history but oh well.

Enjoy Scalia's dissent. He's the best writer on a court of great writers. Amusing and fun read.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

America eff yeah.

Edited by John Adams

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are anyone who has any sort of libertarian streak with you, then how can you possibly be against this ruling?

Easily. The government shouldn't be involved in any sort of marraige, other than contract law. For those purposes, they should be doing nothing more than granting civil unions to anone who asks for them, regardless of sexual orientation or gender combinations.

Marraige is a religious institution, and should be left in the private sector.

In law school it was always fun to read the dissents in the equality cases and Scalia will not disappoint future generations in the same way that Kennedy's prose speaks to those same future generations in over the top Obama-esque prose. I thought Roberts would come out on the side of history but oh well.

Enjoy Scalia's dissent. He's the best writer on a court of great writers. Amusing and fun read.

America eff yeah.

Mine was first!

Easily. The government shouldn't be involved in any sort of marraige, other than contract law. For those purposes, they should be doing nothing more than granting civil unions to anone who asks for them, regardless of sexual orientation or gender combinations.

Effectively a Marriage License is a "Civil Union", so now we're just splitting hairs. All this is doing is making the government treat same sex couples equally in terms of the Marriage License part, it's not forcing a church or religious institution to perform a ceremony.

Wrong!

Marriage is not solely performed or recognized via a religious institution, it is an interpersonal union that is also recognized legally.

Therefore allowing gay couples to be entitled to the very same benefits that the government provides for legal marriage. That would be the true libertarian take on this matter.

Edited by Magox

Good. It's high time we moved past the 'debate' on this absurd topic. Two gay people getting married has absolutely zero impact on my life.

Isn't that essentially what this ruling means? Or are you just arguing about the semantics of the word 'marriage'?

I presume the USSC didn't require religious institutions to sanctify gay marriages.

America eff yeah.

Yeah, disappointed by Roberts. And I hate to sound like a liberal Facebook whiner, but Scalia's dissent is embarrassing.

Wrong!

Marriage is not solely performed or recognized via a religious institution, it is an interpersonal union that is also recognized legally.

Therefore allowing gay couples to be entitled to the very same benefits that the government provides for legal marriage. That would be the true libertarian take on this matter.

The key word is marriage. Marriage historically is a religious institution. Secular governments coopted the institution of marriage and conferred specific legal rights to married couples when no one imagined the concept of same sex couples. That's why there's a huge battle and will continue to escalate until you get the inevitable legal tussle over the right of religious freedom vs discrimination of churches refusing to wed gays.

If the topic was correctly framed as - should same sex couples have the same secular legal rights, benefits and protections afforded to married couples under the law, but without calling it marriage, then you wouldn't need a SCOTUS ruling and few people would care.

Said another way, you cannot get married anywhere but in a house of worship. If you tie a knot in a government institution, it should be called something else.

Edited by GG

Yes

Wrong!

But why should the government be offering any benefits (or penalties for that matter) to marriage? I guess this leads to more questions.

Yes

But why should the government be offering any benefits (or penalties for that matter) to marriage? I guess this leads to more questions.

If the government wants to remove marriage benefits, then that will happen equally under this ruling as well.

Best part of this?

A whole subset of "special snowflake" people now has one less reason to cry about oppression.

I wouldn't bet on it. Look at what happened to race relations after the first black president was elected. It will make it more amusing when they claim an ongoing struggle for equal rights though.

I wouldn't bet on it. Look at what happened to race relations after the first black president was elected. It will make it more amusing when they claim an ongoing struggle for equal rights though.

You're right, Don't know what i was thinking. They'll find something else to B word about I'm sure.

Wrong!

Is there anything that you actually do understand?

Marraige did not evolve as a secular institution, but a religious one. Government co-opted it, asigning itself the authority to marry.

A true libertarian view is one in which the government does not have the authority to co-opt religious institutions, but instead concerns itself with the things within it's just perview such as contract law.

Govenment should not be in the marraige business at all.

The key word is marriage. Marriage historically is a religious institution. Secular governments coopted the institution of marriage and conferred specific legal rights to married couples when no one imagined the concept of same sex couples. That's why there's a huge battle and will continue to escalate until you get the inevitable legal tussle over the right of religious freedom vs discrimination of churches refusing to wed gays.

If the topic was correctly framed as - should same sex couples have the same secular legal rights, benefits and protections afforded to married couples under the law, but without calling it marriage, then you wouldn't need a SCOTUS ruling and few people would care.

Said another way, you cannot get married anywhere but in a house of worship. If you tie a knot in a government institution, it should be called something else.

Historically, yes. But just like many other things, they evolve. Look up the definition of "marriage" in what is accepted in virtually every arbiter of the English language. The law (I believe, I'm not 100% sure) does not say that religious entities have to recognize the marriage, but more from the legality of it and the benefits provided under the law for married couples.

Now I may be wrong, if the court ruled that religious entities have to perform and recognize these marriages, then that's another story. And I would not be in favor of that portion of the ruling.

Is there anything that you actually do understand?

Marraige did not evolve as a secular institution, but a religious one. Government co-opted it, asigning itself the authority to marry.

A true libertarian view is one in which the government does not have the authority to co-opt religious institutions, but instead concerns itself with the things within it's just perview such as contract law.

Govenment should not be in the marraige business at all.

You can call it "co-opt" all you want. The fact remains that marriage is not solely recognized by religious institutions but by the government as well.

If you have a problem with that, then you can take it up with Webster or any other arbiter of the English language.

Now that it is the law, the libertarian view is live and let live.....

You can call it "co-opt" all you want. The fact remains that marriage is not solely recognized by religious institutions but by the government as well.

If you have a problem with that, then you can take it up with Webster or any other arbiter of the English language.

Now that it is the law, the libertarian view is live and let live.....

I'm calling it co-opting, because that's what it is. Any libertarian view is against government doing exactly that.

Now, should the government recognize same sex contractual unions as equal to those of traditional hetrosexual unions? Absolutely. If government is just, all individuals must be treated equally under the law, and with equal access.

As GG notes, however, this will continue until ultimately religious institutions are sued for not performing same sex marraiges, and that is exactly what your views accomodate.

Tell that to the IRS.

Why is marital status a question on your tax filing, oh right because someone decided to give married people a "TAX BREAK".

If we had a flat tax would this even be an issue?