Carucci: Glenn likely "odd man out" in contract extensions

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/06/20/bills-mailbag-who-will-be-the-odd-man-out-on-contract-extensions/

Carucci speculates Cordy will get the short end of the stick when it comes to signing him, gilmore, Bradham and Dareus.

1. Dareus

2. Gilmore

3. Glenn/Bradham

That'd be my order of priority, the team could handle losing both #3 over 1 or 2.

Gilmore is solid and will likely be a value since he's not an INT machine which inflates value. MD99 is the best guy on the roster until someone else proves different.

Bradham beast or not, play lb which Whaley seems to find under every rock. Glenn may be allowed to test the market hoping his value deflates

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think that Albert money is right on for Glenn. Both college guards that switched to tackle, started as rookies, missed a few games here and there, but were mostly good. Albert didn't make the pro bowl until his 6th year in the NFL, so they're tracking very similarly IMO.

I think if Glenn wanted only $8M/year or so, this deal would be a no-brainer. If I were his agent, I'd be telling him not to even respond to offers that don't start with a 9.

I'd be fine with a 5 year, $40M deal, too. I think that's fair. I'd want to get a deal done before the season started if I was him (or his agent). I'd be pushing for a better deal until about that time, but I'd go with the above deal or better at that point. The risk of a blown knee followed by hoping to catch on somewhere with a one year, vet minimum deal to show I could still play would drive me to that. Just look at what happened in Atlanta with Sam Baker. Imagine if that knee injury had happened before he got his new deal instead of after.

Clearly new ownership is making a push right now which brought the McCoy and Clay deals. I suspect if they didn't have the excellent defense in place they wouldn't have gone that route. From an ownership perspective it's hard to argue with the results so far -- record season ticket sales. Obviously they'll need to find a QB if they want to win a championship but breaking the playoff drought would be a big step.

I liked Clay a lot two years ago in Miami but agreed he needs to out perform his history to live up to that contract.

I agree that breaking the playoff drought is a big deal. It sure would be nice, but I don't want to see it followed by a backslide. I don't get too caught up in what the fans think either. Every year a couple fan bases get all worked up because they were Offseason Champs, but unless a franchise QB came to town those were usually some very disappointed people by season's end. Teams like Washington and Miami have played that part in recent years. How'd that work out for those teams? Edited by BarleyNY

I agree that breaking the playoff drought is a big deal. It sure would be nice, but I don't want to see it followed by a backslide. I don't get too caught up in what the fans think either. Every year a couple fan bases get all worked up because they were Offseason Champs, but unless a franchise QB came to town those were usually some very disappointed people by season's end. Teams like Washington and Miami have played that part in recent years. How'd that work out for those teams?

Usually ours! :lol:

No doubt they must find an answer at QB but right now there are no better options available so there's no sense in not putting the best product on the field they can for 2015. If some quality vet is suddenly available next year (highly unlikely IMO) they can figure out the cap numbers at that point.

Having Pegula and Whaley instead of anyone in the last twenty years makes an enormous difference. There is no longer any limitations on contracts other than the salary cap.

This .. hopefully.

I seem to remember exactly the same being said about Matt Barkley this time three years ago "he doesn't have a big arm but is accurate and doesn't make mistakes... second coming of Drew Brees..."

No to USC Quarterbacks.

Dumbest argument ever. I emplore you to name me a single college program that has 2 current "good" NFL QBs from it? The fact is, every single program has QBs that were good at the college level and then were not as good at the NFL level. This is the laziest argument regarding a QB that is possible. USC isn't even under the same coaching staff anymore. Just so dumb. And it's not like they are running a Houston offense, they run a pro-style offense vs high caliber defenses. Guess we can't draft Cook because Michigan State doesn't have any good QBs from there, or Hackenberg since Penn State doesn't either. Cardale Jones? Nope, don't you remember Troy Smith??? Dak Prescott? Name me a single other Miss St. QB you have ever even heard of. Sudfield, Boykin? Nope, nope. Well, guess that means Hogan is the only one that has any shot at any career based on all the QBs that share the same schools as these guys. But then again, but they seem to do it only every 30 years so we have 25 more to wait to hit on another Stanford QB. Again. so dumb.

I completely agree Kessler still needs to prove it. He's all potential right now, he's shown flashes but has yet to put it all together for a full season. He could completely bomb this year.

Just curious. 70% completion, 39 TDs vs 5 INTs and a 167 passer rating is not putting it all together for a season? Jeez, I wonder what his stat line will be if he does. He also had a very nice 2013 with 3000 yards, 65% completion and 20/7 TD/INT. Most notably though he improves yearly. You guys just want to hate on a guy for the sake of hating on him or because of what QBs from his school did in the NFL. So funny.

Edited by Mark80

Just curious. 70% completion, 39 TDs vs 5 INTs and a 167 passer rating is not putting it all together for a season? Jeez, I wonder what his stat line will be if he does. He also had a very nice 2013 with 3000 yards, 65% completion and 20/7 TD/INT. Most notably though he improves yearly. You guys just want to hate on a guy for the sake of hating on him or because of what QBs from his school did in the NFL. So funny.

I'm not hating on Kessler at all. I said I expect him to be in the discussion for the top QB to come off the board by year's end.

So if they let Glenn walk, they end up with Kujo who was so bad last year he wasn't even dressed for most games, and Henderson who was only in at RT because the other options were worse.

They better be real careful(and have a really good plan in place) before deciding to go on the cheap in terms of the OT position.

So if they let Glenn walk, they end up with Kujo who was so bad last year he wasn't even dressed for most games, and Henderson who was only in at RT because the other options were worse.

They better be real careful(and have a really good plan in place) before deciding to go on the cheap in terms of the OT position.

Do you think they don't know all this and 1000x more? ;)

I would guarantee that as of today, Whaley, Pegula, Rex, Overdorf, etc have no idea if they are going to re-sign or go hard at re-signing Glenn. They have to see how Glenn plays this season, how Kujo plays, how Henderson plays, how effective the OL as a whole is and Roman's offense is, if they can re-sign any of the other guys this season, how much did they pay if they did, etc.

I would guarantee that as of today, Whaley, Pegula, Rex, Overdorf, etc have no idea if they are going to re-sign or go hard at re-signing Glenn. They have to see how Glenn plays this season, how Kujo plays, how Henderson plays, how effective the OL as a whole is and Roman's offense is, if they can re-sign any of the other guys this season, how much did they pay if they did, etc.

I would just hate to see it become all about Rex's defense, and before you know it, they have tied up way too much money on that side of the ball. Hopefully that will not be the case.

I would just hate to see it become all about Rex's defense, and before you know it, they have tied up way too much money on that side of the ball. Hopefully that will not be the case.

Well, they did trade Kiko for Shady, renegotiated Shady to 40m, signed Percy Harvin for good money, paid Clay huge money, paid a FB top 3 money, signed two QBs for more than they were paying the two before them, signed Incognito, and try to sign Beluga and a FA OG for big money.

And on defense they re-signed Hughes and let Searcy and Spikes walk. Then added a couple vet minimum guys.

I dont understand this seeming contradiction from you.

Pay them all. including Glenn. Vic has stirred a pot that did not need stirring.

i dont it and either or.

and there are plenty of places to find money over the next two years.

LTs do not grow on trees and Buffalo has paid dearly for being thrifty at that position if not the whole line.

they know they have a very good tackle in Glenn. a known qty.

my final statement on this matter is that; i actually trust the Front Office for once in my lifetime to do the best thing for the team long term and short term.

Go Bills!

Well, they did trade Kiko for Shady, renegotiated Shady to 40m, signed Percy Harvin for good money, paid Clay huge money, paid a FB top 3 money, signed two QBs for more than they were paying the two before them, signed Incognito, and try to sign Beluga and a FA OG for big money.

And on defense they re-signed Hughes and let Searcy and Spikes walk. Then added a couple vet minimum guys.

agreed its about getting rebalanced. i think they overdid it for shady and Clay. I would not take it back though. But honestly , i dont care one lick, IF the offense is as good as it sounds on paper!!!

So, what's your point? :lol:

I guess only time will tell. Let's see how it looks when Gilmore, Dareus and Bradham are all signed to new contracts.

Glenn is a good-not-great LT, but we all know what it's like to have bad LTs. They can do better, but they might not. In my opinion, he's basically a sure thing, and it could be a lot worse. Because he's good, though, he may end up getting a huge contract from some team on the cusp that is desperate for a decent LT.

that is exactly what will happen. doubt that we will match with what we have put into drafting O Linemen. Henderson/Kujo/Miller . they have done a good job. we will see , probably a Whitner like situation where someone breaks the bank to get him and we can only look away.. can't keep 'em all. we shall see. LTs hard to come by

that is exactly what will happen. doubt that we will match with what we have put into drafting O Linemen. Henderson/Kujo/Miller . they have done a good job. we will see , probably a Whitner like situation where someone breaks the bank to get him and we can only look away.. can't keep 'em all. we shall see. LTs hard to come by

I just don't see anyone breaking the bank on Glenn next year. The list of UFA LTs is up thread, and its pretty impressive. I'm not saying it couldn't happen (particularly if he has a monster year), but because of the available talent on the market next year I don't think it will. I'm hoping we can lock him up for $40 million over 5 years.

and then move him to guard

Edited by YattaOkasan

Usually ours! :lol:

No doubt they must find an answer at QB but right now there are no better options available so there's no sense in not putting the best product on the field they can for 2015. If some quality vet is suddenly available next year (highly unlikely IMO) they can figure out the cap numbers at that point.

That's completely myopic. What you're describing is perfect way to screw up a team long term. You're advocating putting the best product on the field this year, but ignoring the impact of significantly overspending for the level of talent gained and for less impactful positions. "Poor value? Who cares if it makes us marginally better this year! Can't afford to pay our quality LT next year? We'll worry about that later! What matters is that we have a slightly above average TE this year!" It's exactly how you don't want to budget a football team. Congratulations, you're our Dan Snyder Award recipient for the thread.