Which former Bill will have the best season on his new team?

Which former Bill will have the best season on his new team?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Which former Bill will have a the best season on his new team?

• CJ Spiller, Saints
    • Stevie Johnson, Chargers
    • Scott Chandler, Pats*
    • Jairus Byrd, Saints
    • Lee Smith, Raiders
    • D'Norris Searcy, Titans
    • Jeff Tuel, Jags
    • Eric Pears, Niners
    • Kiko Alonso, Eagles

Let me know if I'm missing anyone. It sounds like Chandler looked really good in OTAs, he and Gronk are going to be twin towers in the RZ.

i dont want to pick just one.

Byrd Alonso Searcy and Spiller in that order

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is going to be used a TON in NOLA. He's been used a lot in the OTAs. He is going to play the role that Sproles played & the role Pierre played. I'd be very, very, very surprised if he has less than 70 catches (if healthy).

I don't even know, but were Ingram or Hightower present for OTAs? Would he be on the field more than either of those RBs? 70 catches??? That seems pretty steep. Like really, really steep.

I don't even know, but were Ingram or Hightower present for OTAs? Would he be on the field more than either of those RBs? 70 catches??? That seems pretty steep. Like really, really steep.

Pierre Thomas and Sproles combined for 148 receptions in 2013 and both were over 70. Spiller will see as much action as any back including Ingram. Ingram will get the carries but Spiller will be used perfectly in Payton's offense. They have big plans for him. I follow them pretty closely living here (don't particularly care for them). I'd be shocked to see anything less than that if he is healthy. Edited by Kirby Jackson

He signed a smaller contract than Lee Smith!!! Congrats!!

Players look better or worse all of the time because of their situation. Do you think DeMarco Murray is the best back in football or was he aided by the play of the Dallas OL? Austin Collie was productive playing with Peyton Manning. That didn't mean that he was good it meant that he was in a good situation.

Scott Chandler's skills are extremely limited. He gets no separation, plays smaller than his size, can't block, has decent hands and no athleticism. Why is he good? He is in a good situation and his numbers will reflect that. His numbers will be better than the player that he is.

Again, if he was good wouldn't someone have AT LEAST kicked the tires on him last year? The Bills kicked the tires in Matthew Mulligan!!!

Apparently the Pats* think he's better than Fred Davis.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/19/patriots-cut-fred-davis/

He signed a smaller contract than Lee Smith!!! Congrats!!

Players look better or worse all of the time because of their situation. Do you think DeMarco Murray is the best back in football or was he aided by the play of the Dallas OL? Austin Collie was productive playing with Peyton Manning. That didn't mean that he was good it meant that he was in a good situation.

Scott Chandler's skills are extremely limited. He gets no separation, plays smaller than his size, can't block, has decent hands and no athleticism. Why is he good? He is in a good situation and his numbers will reflect that. His numbers will be better than the player that he is.

Again, if he was good wouldn't someone have AT LEAST kicked the tires on him last year? The Bills kicked the tires in Matthew Mulligan!!!

You've exaggerated a lot here. He is better than you give him credit for at everything except blocking. He really struggles there. He might not be as athletic as you'd like (I think I know your philosophy there), but he has produced. I don't think he's great, but he certainly doesn't suck. He's much closer to good than suck.

Of course Murray and Collie were overrated, good QB's have made average receivers/tight ends look good/great since football began. Same with OL and RB's. The inverse is true as well. OL's and QB's have made players look worse and vise versa.

FTR. I voted Spiller, who just so happens to be a victim of poor usage and has a lot people that would say he sucks too.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

You've exaggerated a lot here. He is better than you give him credit for at everything except blocking. He really struggles there. He might not be as athletic as you'd like (I think I know your philosophy there), but he has produced. I don't think he's great, but he certainly doesn't suck. He's much closer to good than suck.

Of course Murray and Collie were overrated, good QB's have made average receivers/tight ends look good/great since football began. Same with OL and RB's. The inverse is true as well. OL's and QB's have made players look worse and vise versa.

FTR. I voted Spiller, who just so happens to be a victim of poor usage and has a lot people that would say he sucks too.

What am I exaggerating? If you took the roughly 100 TEs in the NFL where would he rank in the various areas? Is he a top 70 run blocker? Is he top 80 in athleticism? Is he top 30 in hands? Overall he may be top 30 but that is a function of situation and opportunity. Chandler is closer to 60 in terms of talent.

He has produced because he got the snaps to do so. If you gave Chris Gragg (as an example) the exact same number of snaps and targets do you think that the production would be significantly less? I don't.

Chandler is a good guy and a good community guy but there is a reason that he was cut a bunch of times and undrafted. He is extremely limited. He was in a great situation with the Bills and is in a great situation with the Pats. His numbers will be better than the player that he is (as I said initially). If you plugged Gavin Escobar (as an example) into the exact role that Chandler is playing the numbers would double. The situation dictates the production.

In many ways it is the Spiller conversation up thread. If Spiller catches 85 balls and scores 9 TDs is he significantly better than he was previously or is he in a better situation?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I'd put him in the top 1/3 of the league. I told you what you exaggerated in my last post, that being all of what you said with the exception of blocking. You've now exaggerated how he was viewed as a prospect coming out of college. He was drafted in the 4th round, and was the 4th rated prospect coming out. His measurables were nearly the same as Gavin Escobar's.

You want me to answer whether he is top ## in whatever category you asked above? I can't do that, and neither can you. If you did rank the other 79 players that you're inferring are more athletic than him ahead of him, I can only say you'd be confirming your own bias. You would just assume that unknown 3rd string receiver for Jax is more athletic, because you don't like Chandler. He's not that unathletic.

Will he be the same player with Brady that he was with Bills QB's, certainly. He will be just as good as he's always been, just with someone better throwing to him. I just think he's better than you do.

I'd put him in the top 1/3 of the league. I told you what you exaggerated in my last post, that being all of what you said with the exception of blocking. You've now exaggerated how he was viewed as a prospect coming out of college. He was drafted in the 4th round, and was the 4th rated prospect coming out. His measurables were nearly the same as Gavin Escobar's.

You want me to answer whether he is top ## in whatever category you asked above? I can't do that, and neither can you. If you did rank the other 79 players that you're inferring are more athletic than him ahead of him, I can only say you'd be confirming your own bias. You would just assume that unknown 3rd string receiver for Jax is more athletic, because you don't like Chandler. He's not that inathletic.

Will he be the same player with Brady that he was with Bills QB's, certainly. He will be just as good as he's always been, just with someone better throwing to him. I just think he's better than you do.

He was waived 4 times before catching on with he Bills (SD, Dallas x2, NYG). I said that he may be top 30 overall (exactly what you said) but it is a function of the opportunity not the player. If given the same snaps and situation I would put more than 1/2 of the TEs in the league ahead of him. He went unchallenged in Buffalo b/c they never got another guy (they tried). He was the best of a bad bunch throughout his time here. He's in a good place now. There is no doubt in my mind that there are lots of guys in the league that could replicate his stats in his role. Chandler has been very, very fortunate. He will put up pretty good numbers this year. It is a function of situation (just like Murray last year).

In terms of the skills can I ask what it is that he does well? I would say that he has pretty good hands. Every other TE skill he is below average at. In terms of athleticism are there 20 TEs in the league worse after the catch? I am crazy to think there are not?!? He is horrible with the ball in his hands.

Spiller could very well be third down the depth chart in NO. Second, at best. Maybe they'll put him on special teams?

I have a hard time seeing Chandler doing anything special in NE. Gronk is the healthiest he's been in three years. Houmanawanui is still there and they drafted a rookie of prototypical size that should be every bit as mediocre as Chandler. I wouldn't be surprised to see him not make the 53.

Byrd's been a Saint for a season, now. He shouldn't be in this poll.

Eric Pears is climbing aboard a sinking ship.

Jeff Tuel won't have much of an impact holding a clipboard-- assuming he is allowed that privilege.

The Raiders are moving in the right direction. But, Lee Smith won't likely be above second on the depth chart. Plus, he's Lee Smith.

Kiko, Stevie, and D'Norris could all have an immediate impact on the teams with which they have signed.

Stevie could have a great season with the Chargers. I could absolutely see him getting in a groove with Rivers-- they seem like a good match to me.

Considering how effectively Chip Kelly is dismantling his offense in search of a particular "culture," Kiko could see the field a lot. And he is Kiko.

Searcy could also have an immediate impact in Tennessee, and I think he will likely be a starter.

I Voted D'Norris, because nobody was giving him any love.

I also said Searcy, cause he's the only one on that list who I will genuinely miss, he made a lot of impact plays. Too bad he didn't go to a contender...but I still think he will have a nice year for the Titans. I would've considered Byrd, but last year was such a trainwreck for him, he's just too suspect now.

He was waived 4 times before catching on with he Bills (SD, Dallas x2, NYG). I said that he may be top 30 overall (exactly what you said) but it is a function of the opportunity not the player. If given the same snaps and situation I would put more than 1/2 of the TEs in the league ahead of him. He went unchallenged in Buffalo b/c they never got another guy (they tried). He was the best of a bad bunch throughout his time here. He's in a good place now. There is no doubt in my mind that there are lots of guys in the league that could replicate his stats in his role. Chandler has been very, very fortunate. He will put up pretty good numbers this year. It is a function of situation (just like Murray last year).

In terms of the skills can I ask what it is that he does well? I would say that he has pretty good hands. Every other TE skill he is below average at. In terms of athleticism are there 20 TEs in the league worse after the catch? I am crazy to think there are not?!? He is horrible with the ball in his hands.

Below average at every other skill set? No. He's. Not.I think he's average to good at every tight end skill except blocking. I've said that repeatedly. I've never heard of him having issues with the playbook, so I'd assume he's at least average there. I do think you are crazy to think there are 79 other tight ends in the league better athletically which is what you said originally.

No point in going further though. Having watched Chandler (in addition to about 10-14 other tight ends every week) as much as you have, I have a very different opinion than you. I am not willing to blindly believe that 2nd and 3rd string tight ends on other teams are better than Chandler but just haven't had the opportunity. Tim Wright and every other TE on NE certainly aren't by most accounts.

Edit: If I've been scattered or insulting, I've been at happy hour since six and posting between pool and dart shots. I always liked Chandler and thought he catches too much flak, but I get a little overly defensive after a few. Apologies. I'm going to go see if I can get turned down by some woman. Enjoy your night. :beer:

Certainly no Chandler fan, but obviously Belicheat doesn't think he "sucks". By many accounts he looks to be the Pats* #2 TE this year. If he sucked that bad, the Pats* could have just picked up a UFDA TE this offseason for less money. "Not great" is different than "not very good". Both are far from "sucks". The Pats* didn't get where they are by keeping guys who "suck".

Certainly no Chandler fan, but obviously Belicheat doesn't think he "sucks". By many accounts he looks to be the Pats* #2 TE this year. If he sucked that bad, the Pats* could have just picked up a UFDA TE this offseason for less money. "Not great" is different than "not very good". Both are far from "sucks". The Pats* didn't get where they are by keeping guys who "suck".

he doesn't suck as a second option to Gronk as a pass catching TE. Belicheat knows what he's getting and he's a cheap, experienced pass catcher for that scheme that loves the 2 TE sets. As a #1 TE, not many teams would feel he's a real weapon. Imo.

he doesn't suck as a second option to Gronk as a pass catching TE. Belicheat knows what he's getting and he's a cheap, experienced pass catcher for that scheme that loves the 2 TE sets. As a #1 TE, not many teams would feel he's a real weapon. Imo.

Exactly. But if he SUCKED, they could get a rookie for less. "Sucks" is hyperbolic in this case. He's an OK #2 TE.

Exactly. But if he SUCKED, they could get a rookie for less. "Sucks" is hyperbolic in this case. He's an OK #2 TE.

i don't think he sucks. I think I used "decent #2 TE." I like him a lot actually and hope he does well except when it's against the bills.

Fred Davis has all kinds of issues (arrests, injuries, etc...)

But, does he own a working alarm clock? That's one small step in the right direction.

Edit: Yolo avatar hopped and landed on my fresh acquisition... but it was his "help me" thread where I found this - after I thought he'd settled in. I'll be changing soon. But I won't be Chicken Little. That I know for sure (until we lose a preseason game).

Edited by Augie

He is going to be used a TON in NOLA. He's been used a lot in the OTAs. He is going to play the role that Sproles played & the role Pierre played. I'd be very, very, very surprised if he has less than 70 catches (if healthy).

and at his pay check it's clear he's not third on the depth chart

i don't think he sucks. I think I used "decent #2 TE." I like him a lot actually and hope he does well except when it's against the bills.

Oh, I know you didn't say he sucks. That was Kirby.