Church Shooting

the big problems started in 1981, when reagan rescinded carter's mental health law. http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html. this resulted in a logarithmic increase in private psych hospitals.

The final report of the commission to President Carter contained the recommendations upon which the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 was based. Despite the methodological flaws of the earlier report, the act was considered a landmark in mental health care policy. The key to the proposals included an increase in funding for Community Mental Health Centers and continued federal government support for such programs. But this ran counter to the financial goals of the Reagan administration, these were of c ourse to reduce federal spending, reduce social programs, and transfer responsibility of many if not most government functions to the individual states. So, the law signed by President Carter was rescinded by Ronald Reagan on August 13, 1981. In accordance with the New Federalism and the demands of capital, mental health policy was now in the hands of individual states.

Cuts in funding for mental health services continued throughout the 1980s, with the emphasis being on the provision of services via the private sector. Overall, the number of beds available to the mentally ill in public and private hospitals dropped ov er forty percent between 1970 and 1984 (Reamer, 1989). Most of this decline was due to cuts in public hospitals. During the 1980s, the number of beds provided by general hospitals in psychiatric wards and in private hospitals for the mentally ill increase d. In 1970, there were 150 private psychiatric centers; in 1980, there were 184; by 1988, there were 450 in the United States. General hospitals offering psychiatric services increased from 1,259 in 1984 to over two thousand in 1988 (Reamer, 1989, 25; LaF ond and Durham, 1992, 115-16). With such growth in the private sector, there were substantial profits to be made in mental illness, assuming that the patient had adequate health insurance. Those without medical insurance frequently did not receive adequat e care.

soundsa like a typical liberal conspiracty to me....

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. so any court decision is liberally motivated. good to know. i coulda sworn that citizen's united verdict was conservatively biased. silly me.

shelby vs holder....damn liberal activist court overturning legislation overwhelmingly passed by both parties

The confederate flag is a symbol of this country's original sin to many, many, many people.

Neither the USA no the confederate states invented slavery, to call i this country's original sin is to me us for a problem that has existed since the dawn of man.

the big problems started in 1981, when reagan rescinded carter's mental health law. http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html. this resulted in a logarithmic increase in private psych hospitals.

Is your argument that under federal control, the state of mental health treatment would have been better in these intervening years?

Is your argument that under federal control, the state of mental health treatment would have been better in these intervening years?

yes. it would be better and perhaps less expensive than using jails as mental hospitals and leaving people that should be committed and are a danger, without care

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/opinion/sunday/inside-a-mental-hospital-called-jail.html?_r=0

Edited by birdog1960

yes. it would be better and perhaps less expensive than using jails as mental hospitals and leaving people that should be committed and are a danger, without care

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/opinion/sunday/inside-a-mental-hospital-called-jail.html?_r=0

So basically you think the mental health hospital equivalent of the VA would be a resounding success?

So basically you think the mental health hospital equivalent of the VA would be a resounding success?

Now,now.........he edited it to put "perhaps" in there.

I, myself, wouldn't have stated that any program (certainly not medical) would be less expensive being run by the government,

nor would it be "better.

but some folks always favor the government over private..........................unfortunately.

i didn't say a resounding success. i said a better alternative than what we have now. there is no resoundingly successful progam of dealing with severe mental illness.

i didn't say a resounding success. i said a better alternative than what we have now. there is no resoundingly successful progam of dealing with severe mental illness.

PPP is a great place. We are all kept busy here.

Neither the USA no the confederate states invented slavery, to call i this country's original sin is to me us for a problem that has existed since the dawn of man.

I don't dispute slavery's origins. It's existed since time immemorial and exists to this very day. But this nation was founded on a fundamental conflict of beliefs, which is why slavery is often referred to as this nation's original sin and the Civil War sometimes referred to as the unavoidable continuation of the American Revolutionary War.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

only if you are poor and severely ill tho right? you are truly a pos.

If the intention of the photo of Old Sparky was that mentally ill people should be killed, then I agree.

Having been through the mental health system with a family member with mental illness, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Part of it is just that mental illness treatment has a low success rate. It's not nearly as easy to diagnose/treat as the pharmaceutical companies lead us to believe. It's light years behind physical health care IMHO.

Based on what criteria and what history of prior or similar success?

My favorite part of the Obama Era........is all the racial healing.

Charleston's response was true Christianity. The TV coverage wasn't. Guess a smashed drugstore window is more entertaining.

Secular Media Could Not Ignore Charleston’s Powerful Expression of Christianity This Week

by David Forsmark

Dylann Storm Roof’s stated aim was to divide the nation, but despite the best efforts of Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton, he was unable to do so.

Largely thanks to the victims’ families, this may well instead be a signature unifying event for a nation, nearly on a par with 9/11.

South Carolina law allows for victim impact statements at a bail hearing, not merely before sentencing, and the extraordinary statements by DSR’s victims (he shall not be named again in this column) showed Americans a side of the black community that the mainstream media would like to pretend doesn’t exist, and even now is uncomfortable about showing.

Instead of what we have come to expect from such hearings—e.g., victims focusing on their pain and telling the perpetrator what an evil person he is and that they hope he never gets out—the families of the dead expressed the love of Jesus and a message of forgiveness to the racist monster who murdered their loved ones.

The “Victim Statement” became a Witness Statement.

No matter what else happens or comes out in this trial and investigative process, this will be the seminal moment of this event.

Barack Obama, who declares his “Christianity” whenever it suits his purpose in the discussion, made a lame attempt to stump for gun control as his first reaction to the shooting. Later, he issued the blandest and most secular statement imaginable in reaction to the Witness Statement, calling it “an expression of faith that is unimaginable but that reflects the goodness of the American people.”

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/06/21/secular-media-could-not-ignore-charlestons-powerful-expression-of-christianity-this-week/?singlepage=true

The most powerful evidence that the South has definitively rejected slavery, insurrection, and racism is that it stopped voting Democrat

My favorite part of the Obama Era........is all the racial healing.

Charleston's response was true Christianity. The TV coverage wasn't. Guess a smashed drugstore window is more entertaining.

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/06/21/secular-media-could-not-ignore-charlestons-powerful-expression-of-christianity-this-week/?singlepage=true

The most powerful evidence that the South has definitively rejected slavery, insurrection, and racism is that it stopped voting Democrat

NPR had a segment this morning about the other churches coming in support.........