Church Shooting

Exactly why regulations of gun ownership aren't the answer alone. Keeping the same culture in the US, but taking legal guns out of the equation does very little. Maybe saves a few families from accidents/murder-suicides.

regulate knives, forks, spoons and sporks!

make murdering illegal!

fur is murder!

think of the childrens!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regulate knives, forks, spoons and sporks!

make murdering illegal!

fur is murder!

think of the childrens!

I always feel like this sort of conclusion jump is disingenuous. There's certain weapons we don't allow citizens to have, and everyone is fine with it, so it's logical for there to be debate around guns, especially in a modern society. Knives have a purpose (cutting meat, doing work around the house, whatever), whereas guns are generally just for shooting people/animals, and as hobby (collecting, shooting targets). What guns are reasonable for the public to have? Some will say "all guns are fine!" some will say "all guns are bad!", but most will sit somewhere in the middle, and support some guns, but not others.

But again, legal gun ownership by law abiding citizens isn't really a huge problem, though it is unfortunate when someone has a mental breakdown, or a responsibility lapse, that mortal damage is so much easier to obtain in a gun owning situation.

To all the tools in this thread who think banning certain classes of firearms will stop this from happening:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/german-plane-crash/germanwings-plane-crash-doctors-felt-co-pilot-unfit-fly-n373771

Lots of ways to kill a lot of people that DON'T involve guns.

If ANYTHING, it's liberal mental health policies that are to blame.

To all the tools in this thread who think banning certain classes of firearms will stop this from happening:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/german-plane-crash/germanwings-plane-crash-doctors-felt-co-pilot-unfit-fly-n373771

Could you expand on what you believe liberal mental health policies are, and how they relate to our culture of violence?

that and flags. Flags kill people. They killed my pa and raped my dog.

that and flags. Flags kill people. They killed my pa and raped my dog.

Flags are part of the culture conversation. Waving around a flag that a great portion of the US see as oppressive, imo, is problematic on it's own, even more so when the state flies it.

I always feel like this sort of conclusion jump is disingenuous. There's certain weapons we don't allow citizens to have, and everyone is fine with it, so it's logical for there to be debate around guns, especially in a modern society. Knives have a purpose (cutting meat, doing work around the house, whatever), whereas guns are generally just for shooting people/animals, and as hobby (collecting, shooting targets). What guns are reasonable for the public to have? Some will say "all guns are fine!" some will say "all guns are bad!", but most will sit somewhere in the middle, and support some guns, but not others.

But again, legal gun ownership by law abiding citizens isn't really a huge problem, though it is unfortunate when someone has a mental breakdown, or a responsibility lapse, that mortal damage is so much easier to obtain in a gun owning situation.

This crime was commited with a perfectly legal .45 hand gun, and did not have an extended clip. No one, outside of fringe anti-gun lunatics like JTSP, belives this sort of gun should be illegal.

Flags are part of the culture conversation. Waving around a flag that a great portion of the US see as oppressive, imo, is problematic on it's own, even more so when the state flies it.

I'd be curious what % of the population find the american flag offensive. In the ghetto here it is common and was very popular recently to fly one upside down in contempt for america.

So your flag theory is just silly

I'd be curious what % of the population find the american flag offensive. In the ghetto here it is common and was very popular recently to fly one upside down in contempt for america.

So your flag theory is just silly

Flags are symbols. The confederate flag is a symbol of this country's original sin to many, many, many people. It's hard to argue otherwise if you honestly examine American history, especially South Carolina's history. Individual citizens who choose to fly this flag have that right. The state of South Carolina has that right too until there's a change in the law.

But pretending there's no racial history attached to the symbol of the confederate flag is disingenuous or ignorant. One or the other.

Flags are symbols. The confederate flag is a symbol of this country's original sin to many, many, many people. It's hard to argue otherwise if you honestly examine American history, especially South Carolina's history. Individual citizens who choose to fly this flag have that right. The state of South Carolina has that right too until there's a change in the law.

But pretending there's no racial history attached to the symbol of the confederate flag is disingenuous or ignorant. One or the other.

It's a symbol of racism only to those who work hard to seek out reasons to be hurt or offended in order to ascribe to themselves a heroic victim status.

To those who don't it's simply a symbol of State's Rights, which are in no way synonymous with slavery.

State's Rights is a mantra that more states should embrace, and those that already do should cling to.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

It's a symbol of racism only to those who work hard to seek out reasons to be hurt or offended in order to ascribe to themselves a heroic victim status.

To those who don't it's simply a symbol of State's Rights, which are in no way synonymous with slavery.

State's Rights is a mantra that more states should embrace, and those that already do should cling to.

clarence thomas and a majority of the supremes disagree with you.

We've had this disagreement before, I do not believe the Civil War was fought over state's rights. It was fought over slavery. South Carolina was the cauldron of slavery in America for longer than it was a state.

But we can agree to disagree.

can't be bothered. someone want to link to who was in charge when the massive closing of mental institutions occurred?

I was a Supreme Court ruling. Not even Ronald Reagan had the power to overrule them.

I was a Supreme Court ruling. Not even Ronald Reagan had the power to overrule them.

well, no. it was about money:

In 1973, a federal district court ruled in (Souder v. Brennan) that patients in mental health institutions must be considered employees and paid the minimum wage required by the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 whenever they performed any activity that conferred an economic benefit on an institution. Following this ruling, institutional peonage was outlawed as evidenced in the Pennsylvania's Institutional Peonage Abolishment Act of 1973.

Many assume that the advent of modern psychotropic medications was the catalyst for deinstitutionalization in the U.S. However, large numbers of patients began leaving state institutions only after new laws made unpaid patient labor illegal. In other words, when patients no longer worked for free, the economic viability of many state institutions ceased and this led to the closing of many state hospitals.[21]

at any rate, it wasn't a liberal idea

well, no. it was about money:

In 1973, a federal district court ruled in (Souder v. Brennan) that patients in mental health institutions must be considered employees and paid the minimum wage required by the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 whenever they performed any activity that conferred an economic benefit on an institution. Following this ruling, institutional peonage was outlawed as evidenced in the Pennsylvania's Institutional Peonage Abolishment Act of 1973.

Many assume that the advent of modern psychotropic medications was the catalyst for deinstitutionalization in the U.S. However, large numbers of patients began leaving state institutions only after new laws made unpaid patient labor illegal. In other words, when patients no longer worked for free, the economic viability of many state institutions ceased and this led to the closing of many state hospitals.[21]

at any rate, it wasn't a liberal idea

Judicial activism is, by definition a LIBERAL activity...as is labor organization.

Edited by joesixpack

Judicial activism is, by definition a LIBERAL activity...as is labor organization.

wow. so any court decision is liberally motivated. good to know. i coulda sworn that citizen's united verdict was conservatively biased. silly me.