Church Shooting

NPR had a segment this morning about the other churches coming in support.........

And that is to NPR's credit, and certainly those other churches also.

The article was more to the immediate media response and their difficulty in "describing" the victim's family's religious belief

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the big problems started in 1981, when reagan rescinded carter's mental health law. http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html. this resulted in a logarithmic increase in private psych hospitals.

The final report of the commission to President Carter contained the recommendations upon which the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980 was based. Despite the methodological flaws of the earlier report, the act was considered a landmark in mental health care policy. The key to the proposals included an increase in funding for Community Mental Health Centers and continued federal government support for such programs. But this ran counter to the financial goals of the Reagan administration, these were of c ourse to reduce federal spending, reduce social programs, and transfer responsibility of many if not most government functions to the individual states. So, the law signed by President Carter was rescinded by Ronald Reagan on August 13, 1981. In accordance with the New Federalism and the demands of capital, mental health policy was now in the hands of individual states.

Cuts in funding for mental health services continued throughout the 1980s, with the emphasis being on the provision of services via the private sector. Overall, the number of beds available to the mentally ill in public and private hospitals dropped ov er forty percent between 1970 and 1984 (Reamer, 1989). Most of this decline was due to cuts in public hospitals. During the 1980s, the number of beds provided by general hospitals in psychiatric wards and in private hospitals for the mentally ill increase d. In 1970, there were 150 private psychiatric centers; in 1980, there were 184; by 1988, there were 450 in the United States. General hospitals offering psychiatric services increased from 1,259 in 1984 to over two thousand in 1988 (Reamer, 1989, 25; LaF ond and Durham, 1992, 115-16). With such growth in the private sector, there were substantial profits to be made in mental illness, assuming that the patient had adequate health insurance. Those without medical insurance frequently did not receive adequat e care.

soundsa like a typical liberal conspiracty to me....

Good thing there hasn't been a single liberal Executive since then and that the Republicans have owned Congress the entire time. Maybe if Harry Reid had let a bill get voted on. Never mind. I much prefer when you sound like the old dude from Scooby Doo: "And everything would be perfect if it wasn't for those damn Republicans!"

the obfuscation is in pretending that this incident had little to do with racism or gun laws.

Is there a point in this or are you just trolling for a smack?

close loopholes like gun shows.

Using your own words, explain in detail what this means.

Since the topic of gun control is being discussed in this thread, I'll just put this here. If somebody wants to dig up the gun control thread to post it there, please do. I'm too lazy.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/237510/state-doesnt-appeal-foil-case-gun-stats-released/

Looks like people are really cynical about registration.

Since the topic of gun control is being discussed in this thread, I'll just put this here. If somebody wants to dig up the gun control thread to post it there, please do. I'm too lazy.

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/237510/state-doesnt-appeal-foil-case-gun-stats-released/

Looks like people are really cynical about registration.

I wonder if the author of that article would take a moment to define '"assault style weapons."

Is that like, say, Cajun-style shrimp?

My favorite part of the Obama Era........is all the racial healing.

I don't know how things got 10X worse in this regard after the historic election of the first Black President. Very disappointing

I don't know how things got 10X worse in this regard after the historic election of the first Black President. Very disappointing

The reason things got worse, simply put, is because race baiters were put in charge of things, and as such any disagreement with policy was met with charges of racism. This was followed up with persistent racial narratives associated with everything.

Fiscal conservatism? Racist.

Stand your ground? Racist.

School choice? Racist.

Tax reformer? Racist.

Oppose the ACA? Racist.

Limited government? Racist.

This was an intentional and tactical attempt to delegitimize any disagreement or political opposition by poisoning the well of opposing philosophies in order to marginalize them with low information voters.

Americans are not more racist than they were 6 years ago, they are simply more divided over race; and that's only because half the population got sick of being labeled as bigots simply because they didn't want increased government interference in the administration of their health care.

For those currently in power, there are no political victories to be had in a post-racial America. The narrative of "rampant racism" and "white privilidge" is far more valuable to them as a dividing issue than are the actual stories of progress.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Screen-Shot-2015-06-21-at-2.02.53-PM.png

Democrats are not innocent either when it comes to racism.

Not that it's entirely important, because political/social stances can change over 23 years, but apparently this button and another featuring the flag were probably not "official".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/06/22/what-those-clinton-gore-confederate-flag-buttons-say-about-politics-in-2015/

But like the article says, it's believable that it could have been official.

Edited by Dorkington

I'm opposed to the fiat declaration that "disunion" is a terrible idea. Used in this context "disunion" simply means State's Rights and self-determination.

Anyone who would try to disguise and discredit these concepts by coloring them with the tones of racism should be ignored by thinking people.

Now that this flag debate is over, maybe we can ask what's driving black families to flee the North for the South.

This flag thing is so embarrassing it makes me want to puke. It takes a gatorman-level of stupidity to latch onto this moronic shinything in response to something so tragic...as if the removing the flag fixes absolutely anything.

Now I'm reading that CNN is calling retailers to shame them into stop selling a product.

But you know how you're confident the whole topic is moronic? When Tim Graham finds it necessary to pipe in with a tweet that also mentions his other favorite racist word.

Edited by LABillzFan

This flag thing is so embarrassing it makes me want to puke. It takes a gatorman-level of stupidity to latch onto this moronic shinything in response to something so tragic...as if the removing the flag fixes absolutely anything.

Now I'm reading that CNN is calling retailers to shame them into stop selling a product.

But you know how you're confident the whole topic is moronic? When Tim Graham finds it necessary to pipe in with a tweet that also mentions his other favorite racist word.

It was a youtube video.

this is what the left does, they deflect and look for feel good solutions.

Not withstanding the political wedges that some of those on the left are looking to exploit with this tragedy, my feeling is that for many people the Confederate flag may have a benign symbolism for them, but for many others it's a symbol of hatred. Without question it is a divisive subject and the only thing that the elected representatives of South Carolina are deciding to do is remove the flag from government property and moved to a historical museum where in my view it belongs.

Not withstanding the political wedges that some of those on the left are looking to exploit with this tragedy, my feeling is that for many people the Confederate flag may have a benign symbolism for them, but for many others it's a symbol of hatred. Without question it is a divisive subject and the only thing that the elected representatives of South Carolina are deciding to do is remove the flag from government property and moved to a historical museum where in my view it belongs.

It seems to me that when nine people are murdered in a church, there are things for a state to collaborate on other than a flag, which has become THE single most discussed topic of this event.

They are doing this to shut up the morons who seek to take every topic these days and turn it into mind-melting cause of the day.

It will all come full circle when a southern baker refuses to make a cake with the Confederate Flag on it.

It seems to me that when nine people are murdered in a church, there are things for a state to collaborate on other than a flag, which has become THE single most discussed topic of this event.

They are doing this to shut up the morons who seek to take every topic these days and turn it into mind-melting cause of the day.

It will all come full circle when a southern baker refuses to make a cake with the Confederate Flag on it.

I don't see why you are so defiant about this issue. Clearly for many people it's an important symbolic step that will help with some of the racial divide. You may not see it that way, but others do and it's clear to anyone who has been watching that this tragedy has helped bring people together, including the decision to remove this divisive symbol from government property.

I don't see why you are so defiant about this issue. Clearly for many people it's an important symbolic step that will help with some of the racial divide. You may not see it that way, but others do and it's clear to anyone who has been watching that this tragedy has helped bring people together, including the decision to remove this divisive symbol from government property.

Because no one's otherwise benign views or political philosophies should be invalidated because some people have decided to lable their sybolism as racist, and then have decided to be offended by it in our hyper-PC culture.

The Confederate flag is not objectively a symbol of racism. Conversely, it is objectively a symbol of State's Rights and of self determination.

Further, it will not help with racial divide, as it's just one more example of individuals and institutions which are not racist being labled as racist by race baiters for political purposes, and politicians capitulating because it's politically expediant.

I'm just tired of us, as a country, turning one tragedy after another into some moronic topic or symbol that most Americans really couldn't care less about.

When the flag is down, and the event is passed, and discussing it carries no more political weight, what is the next thing we'll need to get rid of when the world realizes that getting rid of the flag doesn't stop idiots from murdering people?