Another crack at 53

If you want Mathis and to extend Dareus you need to cut players with a decent cap savings- cutting just Chris Williams doesn't do it - love Fred and have nothing against Cassel but that's where the money is.

Tyson Chandler - almost 37 inch arms and 31 BP, played in college at around 360lbs and was scouted as having slow feet but is down to 330lbs and movement is much better than expected, basically Bills have an undrafted FA with the physical qualities of a 2nd or 3rd round player- I'd be afraid that he'd be snatched eventually from the practice squad .

I applaud your attempt at 53 this early, so it's not a criticism to say on Chandler, "let's wait until the pads come on..."

I don't really disagree about Fred, I just hate to see it, especially if Dr. Evil picks him up...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Carrington is healthy no way he gets dropped......the guy is big and versitile a great backup type DL

I think he may well make it, but is there really room for all of our talented back up D-linemen, especially Charles, Bryant, Carrington and Wynn?

My 53:

QB- EJ, Cassel, Tyrod
RB- Shady, Fred, Boobie, Karlos
FB- Felton
WR- Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, Goodwin, Easley
TE- Clay, O'Leary, Gray
OT- Glenn, Henderson, Cyrus,
OG- Miller, Incognito, Urbik, Richardson
C- Wood

DE (or OLB)- Mario, Hughes, Wynn, Lawson, Buchanan
DT- Kyle, Dareus, Charles, Bryant, Carrington
LB- Brown, Bradham, Powell, Randell
CB- Gilmore, McKelvin, Darby, Robey, Brooks, Cockrell
S- AW, Graham, Duke, Rambo

K- Carpenter, Gay
LS- Sanborn
P- Schmidt

Notes: 1. Hogan is a virtual lock to make it. Big strong WR who catches everything in sight and is only getting better. Contributes on ST. Bills coaches love him.

2. Buchanan over Steward because he is the hybrid type that Rex covets. No substitute for long and athletic.

3. Gay proves to be too valuable to cut. Making the opposing team go 80 yds for a TD on a regular basis esp. against this Bills D is a very wise move and it saves wear

and tear on many of the ST guys.

4. Cockrell over Meeks because Rex needs the cover guys and depth at CB.

5. B. Brown is the odd man out because of the talented backfield. I can see him being traded at some point. Rex no like him.

6. Richardson, Gray, O'Leary, and Carrington are on thin ice. Bills may pick up a vet OG to supplant Richardson. They may also add a vet TE to replace Gray or O'Leary.

The more I think about it the more I realize that will be releasing some quality players this year... On the one hand that's big compliment to Whaley for building the roster on the other hand there'll be some guys that we'll be looking at on other teams and think why did we release him again?

My 53:

QB- EJ, Cassel, Tyrod

FB- Felton

TE- Clay, O'Leary, Gray

C- Wood

K- Carpenter, Gay

LS- Sanborn

P- Schmidt

Notes: 1. Hogan is a virtual lock to make it. Big strong WR who catches everything in sight and is only getting better. Contributes on ST. Bills coaches love him.

2. Buchanan over Steward because he is the hybrid type that Rex covets. No substitute for long and athletic.

3. Gay proves to be too valuable to cut. Making the opposing team go 80 yds for a TD on a regular basis esp. against this Bills D is a very wise move and it saves wear

5. B. Brown is the odd man out because of the talented backfield. I can see him being traded at some point. Rex no like him.

6. Richardson, Gray, O'Leary, and Carrington are on thin ice. Bills may pick up a vet OG to supplant Richardson. They may also add a vet TE to replace Gray or O'Leary.

I think brooks/cockrell will battle with a safety spot. Graham can always go back if there are injuries, which leaves them too thin at S.

Yolo,

I thought the same thing as soon as I saw that. Greene is the typical "ground & pound" type RB that Ryan likes.

I believe he ran for over 1,000 yds in both '11 & '12 so the guy ain't chopped liver.

McCoy/Jackson/Greene/Williams at RB w/ Felton/Dixon at FB. That's a terrific group.

Dixon can actually play RB/FB and even some HB in Roman's scheme. He makes the team though because of his ST prowess and leadership ability.

Yolo,

I thought the same thing as soon as I saw that. Greene is the typical "ground & pound" type RB that Ryan likes.

I believe he ran for over 1,000 yds in both '11 & '12 so the guy ain't chopped liver.

McCoy/Jackson/Greene/Williams at RB w/ Felton/Dixon at FB. That's a terrific group.

Dixon can actually play RB/FB and even some HB in Roman's scheme. He makes the team though because of his ST prowess and leadership ability.

Or Dixon is gone.

Most teams keep 8 or 9 OL. You dress 7 on game day, so if you keep 8 and get an injury (and you will), then you're down to no inactive reserves. I don't think I've ever seen a team keep as few as 7.

My guess is they keep 9.

Remember that the team needs a plan in place of they lose two OLmen in the same game.

For instance, Urbik can come in at center or guard, and whoever is the odd man out at tackle is the backup there...now what happens if you lose two interior guys? My guess is that they'd slide Glenn to guard and bring in the 3rd tackle.

What if they lose both tackles?

practise squad or street FA

because really, if you lose both OTs you are in trouble anyways.

at T i have glenn, henderson and kujo, chandler goes to PS. and wood, incognito, miller and ubrik interior. cyril is PS eligible, isn´t he?

Edited by playman

My 53:

QB- EJ, Cassel, Tyrod

FB- Felton

TE- Clay, O'Leary, Gray

C- Wood

K- Carpenter, Gay

LS- Sanborn

P- Schmidt

this one is pretty sweet.

if Graham is moving to safety they favor the CB add.

Not too sure about the Steward over Buchanan i think thats too early to pick. but maybe !

thing is

i want 3 TEs

Feltons and Connor

and

LM FJ BD and Karlos.

instead of giving up a receiver take some from the D and PS them please.

Ground and POUND!

• 1 month later...

I'm updating my final 53 prediction, pre-training camp. After some consideration, I am of the mind that we will carry two fullbacks. Tyrod will win the QB competition, and we will cut EJ. We cut Gay.

Personel are listed as they are on the current roster per BuffaloBills.com:

QB (3) T. Taylor, M. Cassel, M. Simms

C (1) Eric Wood

G (4) R. Incognito, J. Miller, K. Urbik, C. Richardson

T (4) C. Glenn, S. Henderson, C. Kouandjio, T. Chandler

RB (4) L.McCoy, F. Jackson, A. Dixon, K. Williams

FB (2) J. Felton, J. Connor

TE (3) C. Clay, M. Gray, N. O’Leary

W (6) S. Watkins, P. Harvin, R. Woods, C. Hogan, M. Easley, D. Lewis

DE (5) M. Williams, J. Hughs, J. Wynn, M. Lawson, M. Buchanon

DT (5) K. Williams, M. Darius, A. Carrington, S. Charles, Corbin Bryant

LB (4) N. Bradham, P Brown, R.Johnson, Ty Powell

CB (5) S. Gilmore, L. McKelvin, N. Robey, R. Darby, R. Brooks

S (4) A. Williams, C. Graham, D. Williams, B. Rambo

LS (1) G. Sanborne

K/P (2) D. Carpenter, C. Schmidt

Edited by Rocky Landing

Unless he stinks in camp no way they aren't keeping Corbin Bryant as a DT. Rex said during OTAs that he is the man in line to play the opening game with Dareus out.

You're right. (Fixed it-- my math was off, anyway.) I had forgotten Bryant's upper hand. I put Carrington on my list, more or less, as wishful thinking. I was a fan of his when he was playing OLB for us, and I was disappointed when we cut him. He seems like a real hard working, good-work-ethic kind of guy, and a good fit for a Ryan defense, as he's something of a hybrid. I was surprised to see him listed as a DT.

But, in all honesty, I'm a little mystified by how we are going to move people around on defense. It's going to fascinating to see-- we will likely have a very similar, if not nearly identical, starting defensive roster from last season, but used in enormously different ways. And who knows? It's hard to think of someone like Jarius Wynn, for example, being on the bubble, or Stephan Charles, but they very well could be.

I can't wait to read the reports out of TC. It should be one of the funnest, ever.