AP really cosidering retiring due to contract standoff?

he's a douchebag. what is his beef with the vikes? because they rightfully suspended him? he's toxic hope he took care of the huge stack of $$$$ he has made. Unless he plays for the vikes his big paydays are over. No one will pay that money to him in a trade. probably why the Vikes keep saying he is not available for trade. No one wants that contract.

IMO,not a great way to end a career.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple things to keep in mind. In order to do that, let's set aside the whole alleged abuse thing for now.

1. Adrian Peterson is a top 10 running back of all time. He is a future Hall of Famer and the greatest RB of this generation. 2012 is one of the greatest offensive seasons of all time, if not the greatest for a RB. Let's not let any allegations get in the way of what kind of player AP is and was.

2. He is one of the greatest players to play for the Minnesota Vikings. He has been loyal and patient with them as they have struggled since Favre retired. They are also not the flashiest city in the NFL either.

3. People have different honor codes. In Peterson's mind he may have not done anything wrong and this whole thing has been a media overreaction. On the other hand, he watched as the team he's been loyal to for nearly 10 years left him hanging, and then refuses to trade his rights once he is reinstated and the public firestorm has passed.

So in other words, Peterson feels he didn't do anything wrong with his kid, and it's a debatable subject if he did. He is one of the greatest NFL players of all time who has been loyal to a middling team who then leaves him out to dry and then refuses to let him go when the heat passed. He may feel an incredible injustice and there are many people out there who would rather call it quits on a career then to lay out your body for an organization that showed their true colors.

In my opinion, he might not be bluffing, and frankly I hope he isn't just to prove a point. Regardless of what happened with his son, I think it would be really honorable of him to stick it to the Vikings by retiring if they don't trade him. Go in the Ray McDonald thread to see how I feel about cowardly NFL front offices cutting players as soon as any accusations come out but before any details. It would be nice for the karma to come around.

Couple things to keep in mind. In order to do that, let's set aside the whole alleged abuse thing for now.

1. Adrian Peterson is a top 10 running back of all time. He is a future Hall of Famer and the greatest RB of this generation. 2012 is one of the greatest offensive seasons of all time, if not the greatest for a RB. Let's not let any allegations get in the way of what kind of player AP is and was.

2. He is one of the greatest players to play for the Minnesota Vikings. He has been loyal and patient with them as they have struggled since Favre retired. They are also not the flashiest city in the NFL either.

3. People have different honor codes. In Peterson's mind he may have not done anything wrong and this whole thing has been a media overreaction. On the other hand, he watched as the team he's been loyal to for nearly 10 years left him hanging, and then refuses to trade his rights once he is reinstated and the public firestorm has passed.

So in other words, Peterson feels he didn't do anything wrong with his kid, and it's a debatable subject if he did. He is one of the greatest NFL players of all time who has been loyal to a middling team who then leaves him out to dry and then refuses to let him go when the heat passed. He may feel an incredible injustice and there are many people out there who would rather call it quits on a career then to lay out your body for an organization that showed their true colors.

In my opinion, he might not be bluffing, and frankly I hope he isn't just to prove a point. Regardless of what happened with his son, I think it would be really honorable of him to stick it to the Vikings by retiring if they don't trade him. Go in the Ray McDonald thread to see how I feel about cowardly NFL front offices cutting players as soon as any accusations come out but before any details. It would be nice for the karma to come around.

No, it's not really "debatable". Next you will be telling us that AP is "a magnet" for kids trumping up bogus charges of child abuse.

abuse.jpg

I missed the part in your post where the Vikings cut AP. Oh, wait, they didn't cut him--they are trying to pay him tens of millions of dollars to continue playing for them.

So you and AP share an "honor code" which says it's wrong for a team to suspend a guy who violently physically punishes his kid, but it's OK for that same guy to demand that team release him from his contractual obligation as a matter of "honor". That says it all.

It doesn't matter what AP "feels" about beating his kids. The wrongness of what he did to his own flesh and blood is as plain as those pictures (and the boys own words) describe. There is no "alleged abuse". It has been proven. He took a plea deal as he was facing a felony with 2 years jail time (no jury would have aquitted him).

Your crusade is bizarre...

I've mentioned before that I used to love AP. Drafted him in a keeper fantasy league his rookie year and he has won me a lot of games (especially in 2007 with him and Deflated Balls Brady). What he did coming off his major injury and rushing for 2,000 yards in a pass first league is one of the greatest physical accomplishments I have ever seen.

But I can't stand this guy now. He comes across a total dirtbag who is only concerned with himself. Kids all over the place and does not seem to take accountable for his own actions. If I was the Vikes, I'd call him bluff and let him rot. Screw him (but thanks for the fantasy winnings AP :) ).

No, it's not really "debatable". Next you will be telling us that AP is "a magnet" for kids trumping up bogus charges of child abuse.

abuse.jpg

I missed the part in your post where the Vikings cut AP. Oh, wait, they didn't cut him--they are trying to pay him tens of millions of dollars to continue playing for them.

So you and AP share an "honor code" which says it's wrong for a team to suspend a guy who violently physically punishes his kid, but it's OK for that same guy to demand that team release him from his contractual obligation as a matter of "honor". That says it all.

It doesn't matter what AP "feels" about beating his kids. The wrongness of what he did to his own flesh and blood is as plain as those pictures (and the boys own words) describe. There is no "alleged abuse". It has been proven. He took a plea deal as he was facing a felony with 2 years jail time (no jury would have aquitted him).

Your crusade is bizarre...

Personally, I don't like corporal punishment. I spanked my daughter a few times when she was young, but I hated it and stopped doing it. And I don't think any 4 year old should be punished that severely.

But for us to judge the wrongfulness of his actions, particularly in judging his soul and his intentions, in an egocentric manner may be an injustice in itself. 30 years ago this wouldn't have been a blip on the radar. Now it's a national outrage.

It's not unreasonable to assume that AP grew up in a culture that still sees that kind of punishment as acceptable, even healthy. The saying "spare the rod, spoil the child" is so well known because it was so often said. Societal standards may well have evolved for the better, and I'm not even against punishing that behavior to deter recurrence, but I think it's inappropriate to brand this man a POS based on that alone.

It's much more appropriate to brand him a POS for voluntarily taking a job that pays him millions of dollars a year and having the audacity to analogize it to slavery

Personally, I don't like corporal punishment. I spanked my daughter a few times when she was young, but I hated it and stopped doing it. And I don't think any 4 year old should be punished that severely.

But for us to judge the wrongfulness of his actions, particularly in judging his soul and his intentions, in an egocentric manner may be an injustice in itself. 30 years ago this wouldn't have been a blip on the radar. Now it's a national outrage.

It's not unreasonable to assume that AP grew up in a culture that still sees that kind of punishment as acceptable, even healthy. The saying "spare the rod, spoil the child" is so well known because it was so often said. Societal standards may well have evolved for the better, and I'm not even against punishing that behavior to deter recurrence, but I think it's inappropriate to brand this man a POS based on that alone.

It's much more appropriate to brand him a POS for voluntarily taking a job that pays him millions of dollars a year and having the audacity to analogize it to slavery

Beating a kid this severely was never OK, not now and not 30 years ago. It's not "corporal punishment". "Culture" is not defense because all civilized cultures understand punishment versus cruelty and reject the latter. No culture would view that kid's wounds as "healthy". That's just wrong. It's pretty straightforward--he's a POS.

Even if you don't believe that, AP should know that this is not acceptable. A history of being abused is no excuse for abusing others. He's a crappy father. At least the kids he abandoned/ignores are spared his cruelty.

Poor Adrian. Honestly , he is very mixed up about values.

he should just play football. put his head down and play. Its what he does best.

for those of you outraged by his discipline. You know little of the world i think.

And in these United states , the political culture has outpaced the Family's right within itself.

at one point not long ago it was not discussed how a Father and Mother raised a child directly.

Now its a media sensation.

Adrian is probably an idiot. I dont know that honestly. and who am i on my high horse to tell anyone how to live. or raise their kids.

we do the best we can i think. Most do anyways

But i have seen truly, parents who actually hate their children. and blame them for their own problems.

Thats abuse and thats much more ugly then being switched. he did not knock his teeth out or push down a flight of stairs and some folks are just getting all wound up.

"Wait till Dad gets home" once meant something seriously tactile for the generations before me and then probably mine too!

ap is just a stupid jock.

Just give him the ball

Dear AD,

Stop being a whiny, attention-seeking b@$);. You get paid millions of dollars for a game you haven't played in two years. Be grateful for your wealth, talent and life. I loved watching you the season you almost broke the rushing record but your petty attitude, despite making millions, makes me happy you didn't. Get back to what you do best: run the football and close your mouth.

- a (former) fan

The child abuse issue aside, there is obviously more to this than just money. For the next 3 seasons AP is due $13M, $15M and $17M which is incredibly high for a RB in today's NFL. Very little is guaranteed from this point in his contract, but that is the standard for NFL contracts(with the guaranteed monies usually coming in the first 3 years).

To me this really does smell of sour grapes towards his team for how he perceives their treatment of him.....with perhaps a big dose of the grass is greener in Dallas thrown in.

The child abuse issue aside, there is obviously more to this than just money. For the next 3 seasons AP is due $13M, $15M and $17M which is incredibly high for a RB in today's NFL. Very little is guaranteed from this point in his contract, but that is the standard for NFL contracts(with the guaranteed monies usually coming in the first 3 years).

To me this really does smell of sour grapes towards his team for how he perceives their treatment of him.....with perhaps a big dose of the grass is greener in Dallas thrown in.

If AP is smart, he'll just run with the current ball. No one is going to give him that kind of money anymore, no way.

Beating a kid this severely was never OK, not now and not 30 years ago. It's not "corporal punishment". "Culture" is not defense because all civilized cultures understand punishment versus cruelty and reject the latter. No culture would view that kid's wounds as "healthy". That's just wrong. It's pretty straightforward--he's a POS.

Even if you don't believe that, AP should know that this is not acceptable. A history of being abused is no excuse for abusing others. He's a crappy father. At least the kids he abandoned/ignores are spared his cruelty.

Im in no way condoning what AP did...however, I will say that Rob's House has a point and I think you are incorrect here by stating that it was never ok. This kind of discipline was not only ok, but very common not that long ago. Doesn't make it right, but what Rob's House is stating is that its a very reasonable assumption that AP (which he has stated many times publicly) grew up where this discipline was common and normal. Again, I agree its wrong and its no excuse, but still its factual that going back even just 20 years this kind of discipline was a lot more common than you think.

And I am sorry, but I don't understand how you can say "ALL Civilized Cultures understand punishment versus cruelty". The world is filled with civilized cultures not only practicing cruel actions, but accepting it. The most advanced civilization and cultures of their times haven't always separated what you would view as cruel versus punishment.

I mean look at our own country...this "civilized culture" was built on the blood of dead American Indians, beaten and abused slaves, etc. This same civilized culture had LAWS prejudice to women and blacks up until a relatively recent history. This same "civilized culture" is still the only country on Earth to ever use Atomic Weapons on anyone. This same "civilized culture" is murdering innocent people today and its not only legal but accepted through drone strikes.

Im pretty sure those dead innocent men, women and children this country has piled up throughout its history will disagree about your "civilized culture" comment understanding the difference between cruelty and punishment.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Im in no way condoning what AP did...however, I will say that Rob's House has a point and I think you are incorrect here by stating that it was never ok. This kind of discipline was not only ok, but very common not that long ago. Doesn't make it right, but what Rob's House is stating is that its a very reasonable assumption that AP (which he has stated many times publicly) grew up where this discipline was common and normal. Again, I agree its wrong and its no excuse, but still its factual that going back even just 20 years this kind of discipline was a lot more common than you think.

And I am sorry, but I don't understand how you can say "ALL Civilized Cultures understand punishment versus cruelty". The world is filled with civilized cultures not only practicing cruel actions, but accepting it. The most advanced civilization and cultures of their times haven't always separated what you would view as cruel versus punishment.

I mean look at our own country...this "civilized culture" was built on the blood of dead American Indians, beaten and abused slaves, etc. This same civilized culture had LAWS prejudice to women and blacks up until a relatively recent history. This same "civilized culture" is still the only country on Earth to ever use Atomic Weapons on anyone. This same "civilized culture" is murdering innocent people today and its not only legal but accepted through drone strikes.

Im pretty sure those dead innocent men, women and children this country has piled up throughout its history will disagree about your "civilized culture" comment understanding the difference between cruelty and punishment.

AP told us all about his history of punishment...after his assault on his child became public. 20 years ago, this kid arriving at any pediatrician's office or Emergency Department prompted a police report and CPS notification 100% of the time. It's the law, actually.

Your moral relativism re slavery, suffrage is off point. This is a young guy well aware of current societal norms which all oppose cruelty towards children--and you cannot seriously argue the way he beat that boy was not cruel--impossible. Find any adult, black or white, rich or poor who would look at those pictures and say..."yeah, I could see where a 4 year old could deserve that".

Recall that when another man beat another of AP's young sons to death (a son he left for another man to raise), AP didn't skip a beat and played that Sunday. He actually said "God" wanted some good to come out of his son's death--and that good was AP playing football that week. So...it wasn't any "culture" that condoned or created AP's nonchalance over child abuse. It was all him.....

If your thing is to take up the cause of an entitled young millionaire, at least find one who isn't such an assole.

AP told us all about his history of punishment...after his assault on his child became public. 20 years ago, this kid arriving at any pediatrician's office or Emergency Department prompted a police report and CPS notification 100% of the time. It's the law, actually.

Your moral relativism re slavery, suffrage is off point. This is a young guy well aware of current societal norms which all oppose cruelty towards children--and you cannot seriously argue the way he beat that boy was not cruel--impossible. Find any adult, black or white, rich or poor who would look at those pictures and say..."yeah, I could see where a 4 year old could deserve that".

Recall that when another man beat another of AP's young sons to death (a son he left for another man to raise), AP didn't skip a beat and played that Sunday. He actually said "God" wanted some good to come out of his son's death--and that good was AP playing football that week. So...it wasn't any "culture" that condoned or created AP's nonchalance over child abuse. It was all him.....

If your thing is to take up the cause of an entitled young millionaire, at least find one who isn't such an assole.

Didn't AP only learn of that child's existence right before his death?

You're one of the most morally judgmental people I've come across and I've come across quite a lot of self-righteous moral crusaders in my time. If you are a prosecutor then God help anyone who finds himself falling short of Lord WEO's code of conduct. I'd bet everything I own that you don't even live up to your own moral code. The irony is that if you are a prosecutor you've probably inflicted more cruelty than most of the people you condemn, and you probably feel righteous about it.

Didn't AP only learn of that child's existence right before his death?

You're one of the most morally judgmental people I've come across and I've come across quite a lot of self-righteous moral crusaders in my time. If you are a prosecutor then God help anyone who finds himself falling short of Lord WEO's code of conduct. I'd bet everything I own that you don't even live up to your own moral code. The irony is that if you are a prosecutor you've probably inflicted more cruelty than most of the people you condemn, and you probably feel righteous about it.

This guy was arrested for breaking the law, not my "moral code" "of conduct". Does it really take a "moral crusade" to look at that kid and claim that's child abuse? If someone did that to your kid, you would kill them, I would expect--if you had any moral code at all.

This has nothing to do with me. You and others have picked a ridiculous argument and now you're stuck with it. An attack on me is part of your increasingly tortuous logic in defending at least one really bad parent. You can't think of a cogent defense of AP, so you distort my "morals", as though viewing child abuse for what it is reveals some sort or moral flaw. Your moral code seems to consider AP's physical treatment of his son is reasonable or at least defensible. Mine doesn;t.

A prosecutor doesn't have to bring his/her own code into his/her job. The law is usually pretty clear.

Edited by Mr. WEO

This guy was arrested for breaking the law, not my "moral code" "of conduct". Does it really take a "moral crusade" to look at that kid and claim that's child abuse? If someone did that to your kid, you would kill them, I would expect--if you had any moral code at all.

This has nothing to do with me. You and others have picked a ridiculous argument and now you're stuck with it. An attack on me is part of your increasingly tortuous logic in defending at least one really bad parent. You can't think of a cogent defense of AP, so you distort my "morals", as though viewing child abuse for what it is reveals some sort or moral flaw. Your moral code seems to consider AP's physical treatment of his son is reasonable or at least defensible. Mine doesn;t.

A prosecutor doesn't have to bring his/her own code into his/her job. The law is usually pretty clear.

It's not just this case and I'm not really defending him. Compared to you I am, but you're a vengeful, retributivist moral crusader who thinks he's got the insight to be the arbiter of justice. Your problem is hubris.