Chris Williams also not attending workouts at OBD

Like I said, 2013, new system, new staff, we brought in Lawson. He skipped. The "it shows they don't really wanna be here" card or whatever was played. And he ended up being the second best LB on the team that year.

Lawson skipped because he just had a baby, so at least he had a really good excuse.

I don't think it's a big deal for anyone to miss the voluntary workouts but if I were in their shoes, I’d be there competing and getting to know the staff. Especially if I were one of these 2 bubble players. There is probably more to it than we’re aware of. I don’t think the report of Lawson skipping to be with his baby came out until he showed up.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawson skipped because he just had a baby, so at least he had a really good excuse.

I don't think it's a big deal for anyone to miss the voluntary workouts but if I were in their shoes, Id be there competing and getting to know the staff. Especially if I were one of these 2 bubble players. There is probably more to it than were aware of. I dont think the report of Lawson skipping to be with his baby came out until he showed up.

You're exactly right that no one knew Lawson's reason until later. Further exemplifying why this is a non story.

There is ZERO reason why a player (unless they are injuried) should not be showing up for workouts under new coaches......

Sends the message "I dont really want to be here"

I really think this is overblown. These are voluntary workouts. Yes, it's great to be there, but people do have valid reasons for missing them (working on college degree, birth of child, illness in family). Bryce Brown has the "birth of child" thing going on and Williams may have a family or personal committment of similar importance for all we know. In addition, it's been known to happen before that if a player recovering from injury believes the team's medical personnel may see his injury differently than his own medical team, they continue to rehab at a distance until their presence is mandatory. Back injuries are notorious for not being easily subject to rigorous diagnosis (kind of like plantar fasciitis) and easily aggravated by trying to do too much, too soon so I couldn't blame an athlete still recovering from back injury for staying the hell away from people who may push him or judge him, until he has to be there.

I disagree that Chris Williams is a "bubble" player if he's healthy. His competition is a 3rd round rookie, last year's 5th rounder who played like crap last year, and Urbik, whom everyone wants to improve on. It's all if he's healthy.

Meanwhile in NJ...

@AroundTheNFL: Jets DE Sheldon Richardson on skipping voluntary OTAs: "I have a life"

http://t.co/Jwz9nSwNTs

This is just my opinion

But that is what is wrong with these "stars" these high paid players and why bad teams stay bad

When you are THE player on your team.....you should be setting an example to the younger players on your team.....it isnt just about Richardson....its about winning......and buy in to the team breeds winning......sure Richardson might play great? What about that young player behind him that sees him "having his life" while the rest of the team is together?

and

To me Williams and RIchardson are not on the same breath......WIlliams is fighting for spot on the roster...he NEEDS to be there

There is ZERO reason why a player (unless they are injuried) should not be showing up for workouts under new coaches......

How bad was he injured? I thought it was fairly routine acl stuff (if there is such a thing). And it happened early last year. But if he needs a year to recover then he'd still be out. Its odd that he's never mentioned as an option on a team that desparately needs help at guard

How bad was he injured? I thought it was fairly routine acl stuff (if there is such a thing). And it happened early last year. But if he needs a year to recover then he'd still be out. Its odd that he's never mentioned as an option on a team that desparately needs help at guard

I thought it was back with Chris WIliams

I'm not sure why I care about Chris Williams and why this would even be news. He didn't play at a starting caliber last year and got hurt. John Miller and Richie Incognito appear most likely to be starters at Guard and at least thus far DO appear to be starting caliber players. If he doesn't want to show up, then he can pretty much guarantee he's not going to start. He'll be lucky to be a backup, but do we care so much about backups?

I'm not sure why I care about Chris Williams and why this would even be news. He didn't play at a starting caliber last year and got hurt. John Miller and Richie Incognito appear most likely to be starters at Guard and at least thus far DO appear to be starting caliber players. If he doesn't want to show up, then he can pretty much guarantee he's not going to start. He'll be lucky to be a backup, but do we care so much about backups?

Because we need solid depth. He is not going to start thats obvious already.

because of his cost i think he should be sent packing. Be interested to hear why he has not shown. and then if he shows up healthy on Tuesday for OTAs.

Because we need solid depth. He is not going to start thats obvious already.

because of his cost i think he should be sent packing. Be interested to hear why he has not shown. and then if he shows up healthy on Tuesday for OTAs.

Agree 100%, but that's not what most people here are even talking about. That's what's sometimes sad about these threads. You get the completely incorrect response to the issue at hand. If this is an expected starter not showing up, I would be waiving my arms yelling. I'll leave it to the front office to deal with the money aspect of things. So question back at you. When has even a healthy Chris Williams been "solid depth". I haven't seen a shred of evidence that he can play that part even if he does show up.

Agree 100%, but that's not what most people here are even talking about. That's what's sometimes sad about these threads. You get the completely incorrect response to the issue at hand. If this is an expected starter not showing up, I would be waiving my arms yelling. I'll leave it to the front office to deal with the money aspect of things. So question back at you. When has even a healthy Chris Williams been "solid depth". I haven't seen a shred of evidence that he can play that part even if he does show up.

So. good post.

Why is Chris not with the team . That is the question.

I think i put forth my opinion upthread.

Now i am saying Bills need to know where they are with Williams.

NEw coaching staff and new system demands that. Thats being a Pro.

Sure maybe he has the playbook, maybe he is in great health and has a great program.

but to answer your second question and the first.

Because he sucked/s. Whaley took a chance on a former first rounder, hoping they could coach him up or the "change of scenery " method ". Worth a shot for too much money. but a position of need. dire need.

But as for depth. ya gotta have a body to plug in.

so two things to summarize my opinion.

he is hurt

or they(Jim O. ) have come to him to restructure. what do you think is keeping him away?

Like Manny Lawson and that other player when Marrone took over. He hosed the Bills anyway.

It could be due to his back injury . If Torrell Troup is any indication of how Williams career could go he won't be around long !

The only thing that stinks about it is the dead money the Bills will be on the hook for & the draft pick lost to bring him here in the first place .

His playing history should have been more looked into before the decision was made to bring him here . I wonder who had the last say of the matter ?