ESPN Insider - Why Bills will make the playoffs in 2015

Bills may make the playoffs, but, I for one, have a hard time buying the argument that Rex is going to improve on a defensive ranking of #4 in the league. with 32 teams, there is a long way down, and not really much upside. I think it better than 50/50 that the D will rank lower than Schwartz D last year. that means the O will have to pickup more than a little to get the Bills to the playoffs. Might happen, but a long way to go. Everybody is drinking the kool aid on Rex's D and how much better it will be. We will be fortunate if they are as good as last year....when they were VERY good.

If you define better by the defensive ranking then no, he might not make the defense better. If you define better as being able to actually match up to teams and be competent and competitive I think he will. He's always had a knack for keeping things close against the Pats with less talent on both sides of the ball in NY than he has now.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the D improves statistically just by having a competent offense. It's all going to ride on OL play. If the young guys progress under new coaching and RI returns to form, we are going to the playoffs!

That's an excellent and critical point. The offense needs to keep the chains moving and the D on the bench. Keep them rested and avoid chances to give up yards and points. Having said that, I was very happy with the Schwartz D last year and doubt we can do much better this year. There's just so little room at the top. It may be more exciting, but I doubt it's much better.

They only need Cassel to be a midtier quarterback

Cassel?

Uh oh.....some TSW posters should not click on that interview...

ESPN still has not begun to figure out how to monetize its online content. Its website is a clunky, noisy mess that reflects a lack of cutting-edge thought and design. It's similar to ESPN's television content. ESPN has felt little pressure to adapt over the years because it has had a near-monopoly on 24-7 sports coverage. I'm really hoping a legitimate competitor steps up one day soon to dethrone the so-called "worldwide leader." I really hate ESPN.

They take in 12 million per day (4.4 in profit) and the network's value is over 50 billion (higher than HP, Lowe's, Sprint). They command a monthly cable fee per customer of $5.54--the next highest, TNT, gets only $1.33.

The biggest media corporations in the world (Newscorp: Fox1, Universal: NBCSports) have tried and failed miserabley to take a single crumb off the plate of ESPN. There will be no viable competition on cable in the foreseeable future. They are not the "so called" world wide leader in sports...

Bills may make the playoffs, but, I for one, have a hard time buying the argument that Rex is going to improve on a defensive ranking of #4 in the league. with 32 teams, there is a long way down, and not really much upside. I think it better than 50/50 that the D will rank lower than Schwartz D last year. that means the O will have to pickup more than a little to get the Bills to the playoffs. Might happen, but a long way to go. Everybody is drinking the kool aid on Rex's D and how much better it will be. We will be fortunate if they are as good as last year....when they were VERY good.

Thank god somebody is saying this. People are discounting the first rate job Schwartz did with the defense, which vastly imporved the run defense (the Bills were one of the worst in the league against the run under Pettine) without giving up pressure on the quarterback. Pettine was running Ryan's defense with all the exotic blitzes. I am not confident that the defense will be as good this year.

Edited by Dr. K

Thank god somebody is saying this. People are discounting the first rate job Schwartz did with the defense, which vastly imporved the run defense (the Bills were one of the worst in the league against the run under Pettine) without giving up pressure on the quarterback. Pettine was running Ryan's defense with all the exotic blitzes. I am not confident that the defense will be as good this year.

If we get the ground and pound run game going and develop a ball control offense (or at least more control than last year) the defense could improve from that alone.

More time of possession for our offense means more rest for our D, which can only help.

I think most Bills fans agree Schwartz did a lovely job last year, but our D coaching will arguably be even better this year.

That's another potential incremental gain.

Lastly, for those focusing on the OL this year. Note the comments in this "insider" piece about the OL receiving a decent rating last year. Statistics suggesting the run game was not necessarily as hampered by poor OL play as you would think.

Not sure that analysis is correct, but it's interesting.

I.E., this insider report suggests that with McCoy doing the running, the OL play of last year may be good enough going into this year, and we have already added Incognito which is an upgrade.

Pettine is not Rex.

Rex's last 10 years as HC/DC:

Defensive Rush YPG rankings: 9, 2, 2, 3, 8, 3, 13, 26, 3, 5

Defensive Rush YPA rankings: 8, 2, 1, 5, 4, 3, 7, 21, 1, 6

His rankings last year with the Jets of 5 & 6 were better than the Bills' 11 & 14

Pettine may have learned all he knows from Rex....but I doubt that Rex has taught him everything that Rex knows.

Pettine rankings with Bills was 28 & 23....and was 32 & 28 with Cleveland last season. Also, Rex's only non-top 10s were with Pettine as his DC. Rex has a fantastic track record of stopping the run.

Edited by Dibs

And a major component of that vastly improved run defense, the #8 ILB vs. the run, Brandon Spikes...is now gone from the team.

I've said this elsewhere, the D line that Ryan had with the Jets is one of the best run Ds in the league; the Bills' D-line forte is pass rush. Ryan knows stopping the run is more important than getting sacks, so it will be interesting to see what he does exactly with this front 7.

Regardless, teams would be smart to attack the Bills' run D this year.

No reason to think with our multiple and major acquisitions affecting the Offenses potential, Bills dont blow the roof off. screw the insiders

and screw the afc east.

here we come. and Bills will just get better next year. its simple math really.

And a major component of that vastly improved run defense, the #8 ILB vs. the run, Brandon Spikes...is now gone from the team.

and Jim S.

But Rex Ryan might well have one of the best minds and seriously vast understanding of football and its history. Dot let his fun loving and seeming egocentric nature fool you. The Man is text book upon text book type of coach and teacher , he is up to speed on his competition too.

BTW he wants The Belli's throat to step upon.

He is my guy.

now bring back Spikes and lets get it on !

Edited by 3rdand12

The run defense started off very well, but starting at week 7, with 158 yards given up to MN, and 175 to the Jets the following week, the run defense was pedestrian to poor. Their ranking at the end of the year may have been better, but they are hardly dominant in that department. It was the pass rush and secondary that was the strength of that defense. Ryan has a solid history of excellent run defense. This team will be better.

press coverage off the line and then who the hell is blitzing can keep a QB on his toes . also the linebackers we carry have coverage skills. who thought Preston Brown coming out would be very good and fast cover LB?
Rex has his dish full of delights. His lap band will keep him disciplined

and Jim S.

But Rex Ryan might well have one of the best minds and seriously vast understanding of football and its history. Dot let his fun loving and seeming egocentric nature fool you.

He is my guy.

Yet his career record is around 50-52. But like everything else bills that record of course is because of things out of his control. if he fails what will the excuse be? Whaley? For seemingly failing to build a o-line ( how many years now?) and get a viable long term QB? Incognito has been out of the game for awhile. C. Williams blows, Urbik is depth. lets hope the rook comes through. That still leaves loads of questions,including the tackles. Got a feeling some low end dumpster diving will be done before the season starts. Whaley did try though so that means something.

I think Rex could be the Bills 21 century version of Levy and like his hiring far better than Maroon, but then again when he (marrone) was hired many here saw that as the next coming of Lombardi. The hottest young innovative mind in hot demand. was just one of the outrageous staements regarding him. And anyone who doubted that was a " troll".

IMO maybe give Rex a couple years as Head coach before the off the charts off season hyperbole predictions including the team has the best receivers in the game, the best defense ( that coud happen) and a budding third year QB (that was a a huge reach) and still looks as innacurate as he did in college. but if not for horrible coaching the past 2 years would be a superstar. At least in some posters eyes. What exactly has David lee ever accomplished? Exactly one year of the wildcat with the fish.

I really hope Roman doesn't let a lof people here down. He is being given way too much credit and has yet to even have a single camp yet. Again on the roster there simply is no Alex Smith or Kappernick type QB's for him to work with unless TT emerges.

In the end with minimal injuries to key positions the team should battle for nothing less than a WC spot. it will be up to the offense a part of the game where Ryan has not been very strong in. They have to not depend on the defense anymore. They need to emerge, with a young bona fide QB. cassell is just another one season insurance policy to hand the ball off.

I think i can simply rebut or comment that i think Ryan is one smart football cookie. may i also suggest Whaley is getting his chops down. If Pegula is as he seems to be, the team is headed on up. and Rex is was the missing piece on the football side