Bills have the 2nd worst OL in the NFL according to PFF

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I love PFF: somehow the Bills' OL, which allowed 85 QB hits and gained 3.7 YPC, is somehow worse than the Colts' OL(which somehow didn't even rank in the bottom 5), which allowed 107 QB hits and gained 3.9 YPC.

Then you've got the Eagles, with 65 QB hits and 4.2 YPC, ranked (apparently) well ahead of Denver and their 42 QB hits with 4.0 YPC.

Now the kicker: figure out how Houston's OL, which is 0.3 YPC and 5 QB hits better than Buffalo, ranks 5th in the NFL, while Buffalo ranks 31st.

bc their not the Bills. when we win, we still won't be respected, but at least we'll win

If you watched the games the O-line was a mess last year, the whole offense was. Orton was a high level back up QB or a low level starting QB playing behind a bad O-line and limited offensive weapons. Hopefully a combination of adding InCognito, Miller, getting Williams back from injury, and the young players from last season developing improve the O-line play overall.

Hilarious post.

I actually dont think last years offensive weapons were THAT bad......

- We had good RB's.....took injuries though

- Our WR's were Watkins, Woods, and Hogan...that is not a bad group

- Chandler is a "middling" TE......so in all honest he is not that bad

No.....the problem was a totally unimaginative offensive scheme ran with poor offensive line coaching and lack and combined with lack of talent on the offensive line (and playing a rookie RT)......when you cant get ANYTHING going in the run game it because very hard to run a balanced offense with the pass......and it looked like they were really trying to cover up bad pass protection.

That is why I have high hoes this year.....I feel the OC and OL coach are improved......there are so many targets added that it will dictate to a defense.......if the running game opens up....the passing game will as well by default

Thanks mickey! The dudes making those comments about the huff post would believe the color of the sky was pink polka dots if the Faux News told them it was. After all, what is truth is only what you want to believe it is anyway!

I think of it more as the Fox News of football analysis but to each his own.

Thanks mickey! The dudes making those comments about the huff post would believe the color of the sky was pink polka dots if the Faux News told them it was. After all, what is truth is only what you want to believe it is anyway!

Take it to PPP fellas.

Were they not god awful last year??

We had the worst guard play in the league by far.. And down years for Wood and Glenn. Henderson wasn't good.

Incognito and a rookie aren't going to change perceptions of this unit just yet.

We had the worst guard play in the league by far.. And down years for Wood and Glenn. Henderson wasn't good.

Incognito and a rookie aren't going to change perceptions of this unit just yet.

Like I said. That was a big part of it.

No doubt last year was just awful. I seriously wonder how much difference changing ONLY the coaching and the scheme would have changed their performance. I'm not saying they'd be great by any means, but how much better would they have been?

It's possible that the O-line is only one piece away from turning from awful to elite. In my eyes, it was the Guards who were the weak links and this put more pressure on Wood, Glenn and Henderson. Incognito is one piece that will help. Add another guard who can play better than what we had last year and this OL will be fine.

I'm not sure why you think I did/do. Further, if you think that supplies the context, why not provide the numbers?

Regardless, if you're interested, here's the breakdown:

Indy - 661 passing attempts + 29 sacks allowed = 690 drop-backs with 107 QB hits, or a QB hit every 6.44 drop-backs.

Buffalo - 579 passing attempts + 39 sacks allowed = 618 drop-backs with 85 QB hits, or a QB hit every 7.27 drop-backs.

Sacks are probably weighted more than QB hits though. The reason being that QB hits implies the oline held on for about 0.5 sec longer than an oline that gave up a sack.

You'd need to elaborate on that one I think.

I got it. Hokie has a political agenda and is a stern republican determined to have Obama impeached.

surprised you did not pick up on that Metz. But TE's are not always that bright. integral to Romans offense but...

The Bills had the second-worst O line last year?

Hard to believe.

Hard to believe there was one worse.

Yep. its true. painful to watch most all of the time.

let rewind Houston for example.

Marrone " hey wanna have some fun with EJ ? "

Hackett " No "

Marrone " yes you do you little f i gave you a job "

Nate "Okay. but dont get him hurt again "

Marrone " stfu Nate , we are going to let Watt get after Manual " give him no good reads and let Watts come free. Thats should be hilarious to watch him piss himself "

Nate " Coach i dont really want to do that"

Marrone "Hey Morris , if your guys block Watt your fired ! Got it !!

Pat " yes Saint Doug as you wish Saint Doug"

Marrone " Tell my boy Orton to start warming up in the bullpen "

the Offensive line deserved every bit of a thirty one I agree with Utah John

I actually dont think last years offensive weapons were THAT bad......

- We had good RB's.....took injuries though

- Our WR's were Watkins, Woods, and Hogan...that is not a bad group

- Chandler is a "middling" TE......so in all honest he is not that bad

No.....the problem was a totally unimaginative offensive scheme ran with poor offensive line coaching and lack and combined with lack of talent on the offensive line (and playing a rookie RT)......when you cant get ANYTHING going in the run game it because very hard to run a balanced offense with the pass......and it looked like they were really trying to cover up bad pass protection.

That is why I have high hoes this year.....I feel the OC and OL coach are improved......there are so many targets added that it will dictate to a defense.......if the running game opens up....the passing game will as well by default

Good for you John. if you get tired out give me a call

They didn't really run zone all the time...they actually ran a hodgepodge of schemes, which is likely part of the issue. They started out with zone concepts, but the group they had wasn't really mobile enough to run them consistently. Then, as the line took on a different shape with the rotation and failings at the guard positions, they started to become more mobile and less brutish, but never really settled upon an identity in terms of their blocking system.

I can assure you, however, that this year, under Kromer, they'll have an identity and stick to it.

agreed and quite enthusiastic for this season.

Go John Miller !!

Exactly, on every count! :thumbsup:

There is no question that Erik Pears had no business playing RG, and there is little doubt Seantrel Henderson was one of the worst RT's in the league last season. Urbik was an upgrade at LG over Cyril Richardson but not over Chris Williams. :sick:

When you have a player that is clearly one dimensional in his performance what does it tell you about their skill as a professional player? Would any Bills fan want a defensive player on the team that was only good at pass rushing and horrid against the run or vice versa? A DB that could tackle but couldn't cover, or could cover but couldn't tackle? Imagine a DT that was pushed back five yards on almost every run play. For years the Bills have employed players on their lines that couldn't run block properly even if their lives depended on it.

Bills fans should be rejoicing now that Pears is finally gone, and I know I will join them when Urbik is also gone. I don't hate on the bad players, I just want to see some actual talent.

What most Fans fail to realize is that once Doug Whaley gave up on the idea of replacing the RG / RT with Jahri Evans, and Brian Bulaga because he wasn't able to obtain either. That he also gave up the idea of a playoff berth that went out the window with those failures. Most just don't get that this team could have had a viable shot at not only a playoff game but a chance to actually win some if they had upgraded, strengthened those positions.

How many third round picks have the Bills drafted that became immediate impact starters over the last five years? What are the odds that a player out of the NFL for a year, and no other NFL team was willing to touch will return to pro bowl or even a average form? Whaley might have been able to make the playoffs last year had he signed Incognito at some point. The line play against the Raiders with a playoff berth on the line was downright disgraceful, and better OG play could have helped a great deal.

Exactly, on every count! :thumbsup:

There is no question that Erik Pears had no business playing RG, and there is little doubt Seantrel Henderson was one of the worst RT's in the league last season. Urbik was an upgrade at LG over Cyril Richardson but not over Chris Williams. :sick:

When you have a player that is clearly one dimensional in his performance what does it tell you about their skill as a professional player? Would any Bills fan want a defensive player on the team that was only good at pass rushing and horrid against the run or vice versa? A DB that could tackle but couldn't cover, or could cover but couldn't tackle? Imagine a DT that was pushed back five yards on almost every run play. For years the Bills have employed players on their lines that couldn't run block properly even if their lives depended on it.

Bills fans should be rejoicing now that Pears is finally gone, and I know I will join them when Urbik is also gone. I don't hate on the bad players, I just want to see some actual talent.

What most Fans fail to realize is that once Doug Whaley gave up on the idea of replacing the RG / RT with Jahri Evans, and Brian Bulaga because he wasn't able to obtain either. That he also gave up the idea of a playoff berth that went out the window with those failures. Most just don't get that this team could have had a viable shot at not only a playoff game but a chance to actually win some if they had upgraded, strengthened those positions.

How many third round picks have the Bills drafted that became immediate impact starters over the last five years? What are the odds that a player out of the NFL for a year, and no other NFL team was willing to touch will return to pro bowl or even a average form? Whaley might have been able to make the playoffs last year had he signed Incognito at some point. The line play against the Raiders with a playoff berth on the line was downright disgraceful, and better OG play could have helped a great deal.

I think you " might "be narrow minded about Whaley here. Do you think he really has given up on getting the team a championship ? That seems of a stretch of thinking to me.

Now if it was the old day i might agree. Winning with taught purse strings was the old mantra. emphasis on the tight budget allotment .

But why would you think Whaley et al dont want to win it all ?

If Kromer and Roman think they have enough to get er dun , then lets roll with that.

Last years team is NOT this years team. even with the exact same players.

But now Bills have another year of exp for those three rooks. Now under a focused and proven professional staff.

I might guess this O line will come out of the shadows with something to prove.

as so many say it remains to be seen , and rightly so, but brother i got a good feeling these guys ( whomever they line up ) are going to kick ass!

Go Bills O line!

Who cares and they went 9-7

what do you mean by that ?

Edited by 3rdand12

This is why I love PFF: somehow the Bills' OL, which allowed 85 QB hits and gained 3.7 YPC, is somehow worse than the Colts' OL(which somehow didn't even rank in the bottom 5), which allowed 107 QB hits and gained 3.9 YPC.

Then you've got the Eagles, with 65 QB hits and 4.2 YPC, ranked (apparently) well ahead of Denver and their 42 QB hits with 4.0 YPC.

Now the kicker: figure out how Houston's OL, which is 0.3 YPC and 5 QB hits better than Buffalo, ranks 5th in the NFL, while Buffalo ranks 31st.

Because those stats dont even begin to tell the whole picture.

I don't care who the QB is. If our oline improves to where whatever serious outlets rank it--- say around 15-20, we are going to win 10 games no problem.

I feel much better running behind this current group with these current coaches when we need 1 yard. I'll take running behind Miller or the Bully over Pears all day.

I'm excited for Kwanjo's development. Same Henderson.

I recall some comment made by Morris early in camp when he yelled at Cyrus about lookin like a Venus di mio or something. I just thought....in front of media that was heard. Maybe Cyrus responds better to positive reinforcement rather then constant digs or negative. I bet the whole oline couldn't stand that guy and then were at a point of being over coached with Marrone around them all practice. They always looked poorly coached to me.

Edited by Big Blitz